G
garysibio
Guest
I’m Catholic but I have some issues about a couple of doctrines. One of them is papal infallibility.
I can understand that having an infallible authority would be a good idea. It would certainly be nice to have a certain answer to controversial questions. However, just because it would be nice doesn’t mean that it exists.
I can also see papal primacy in both Scripture and Apostolic Tradition but primacy and infallibility are not the same thing. Despite this many of the articles I’ve seen defending infallibility end up focusing on primacy.
5My doubts come from a couple of questions:
I can understand that having an infallible authority would be a good idea. It would certainly be nice to have a certain answer to controversial questions. However, just because it would be nice doesn’t mean that it exists.
I can also see papal primacy in both Scripture and Apostolic Tradition but primacy and infallibility are not the same thing. Despite this many of the articles I’ve seen defending infallibility end up focusing on primacy.
5My doubts come from a couple of questions:
- If the pope is infallible, why do we need church councils? Just ask the pope.
- Papal infallibility has only been used twice. Once to define the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception and once to define the doctrine of the Assumption of Mary. Both of these were in the last 150 years or so. If papal infallibility is true, why wasn’t it used more often?
- I keep hearing that “Unam sanctam”, a papal bull written in 1302 by Pope Boniface VIII is not considered infallible yet it says: “Furthermore, we declare, we proclaim, we define that it is absolutely necessary for salvation that every human creature be subject to the Roman Pontiff.” How could this not be considered to be intended as an infallible declaration?