Italy Declares Embryo is a Holder of Rights

• Thread starter Thread starter HagiaSophia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HagiaSophia

On Feb. 19, 2004, Italy went from being one of the most permissive climates for artificial reproduction in the world – in the absence of a law, it was basically the Wild West – to one of the most restrictive.

Article One of Law 40, passed with broad Catholic support, recognizes an embryo as a holder of rights. On that basis, it enacts a series of bans - on freezing embryos (except in rare cases), on the use of donated genetic materials from anyone other than the man and woman wanting to have a child, on the use of surrogate mothers, and on scientific research utilizing embryos. The law also bans gays and singles from use of artificial reproduction, and limits its use even by heterosexual couples to cases of infertility or sterility…"

“…Redemptorist Fr. Brian Johnstone, an eminent moral theologian in Rome, told me that the item of greatest interest for non-Italians is likely to be the debate over article one, which contains the language recognizing the embryo as a rights-holder. The Italian statute is one of the few in the world, and certainly the most prominent, to contain such a codicil. .”

nationalcatholicreporter.org/word/

Wonderful news! Let’s hope this kind of law migrates to the US.

Lisa N

Great, now I hope the idea spreads to the US constitution and laws which need to have way more respect for life.

40.png
ThornGenX:
Great, now I hope the idea spreads to the US constitution and laws which need to have way more respect for life.
Have a look at the thread “Chicago: frozen embryo declared human”–we’re working on it!

Praise be to God! Now will someone tell me how they managed to pass this new law over there, also if anyone knows where I can obtain a copy of the law in english, I would love to give it to my congressional reps… Maybe seeing in black and white that Italy has been able a strict law like this will help them.

Linda H.

Linda H.:
Praise be to God! Now will someone tell me how they managed to pass this new law over there, also if anyone knows where I can obtain a copy of the law in english, I would love to give it to my congressional reps… Maybe seeing in black and white that Italy has been able to pass a strict law like this will help them.

Linda H.

sitting in Pizza Hut tonite, watching news headlines scroll across the screen, I read that a judge in Illinois ruled the same thing, saying a couple whose frozen embryos were accidentally destroyed at a Chicago fertility clinic had the right to file a wrongful death suit, because the “pre-embryo” had the potential to become a human being, and its rights should be protected. Anybody who knows more details on the story, please correct me if I read it wrong.

There is Hope for the US Judicial system afterall.

There is someone (I don’t recall who) on theses forums with a wonderful signature that brings this issue to the secular society in a direct and concise manner. I think it is, “If it is not a baby then you’re not pregnant”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back