Italy prepares for fertility vote

  • Thread starter Thread starter gilliam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
didymus:
Why is the Churh asking people to boycott the vote instead of voting NO? Aren’t they giving the pro- forces an edge?
I don’t know how voting works in Italy maybe it’s easier to make the vote void by too many absents than to directly voting no
 
Low turnout threatens Italy vote

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40617000/jpg/_40617932_ciampiap203b.jpg President Ciampi was among those to defy the Vatican ban

**Initial turnout in a two-day referendum in Italy on whether to relax a law on assisted reproduction is just 13%, according to the interior ministry. **

It is thought that many Catholics have heeded a Vatican call to abstain from the vote on moral grounds. Turnout in the referendum must be more than 50% for the vote to be valid.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4086296.stm
 
The times I was there, I saw very few Catholics at mass on Sundays. The younger men are totally on the make; many of them are completely coddled by their moms and don’t marry. The country has a declining birthrate and there’s a women’s reproductive center right down the street from the Vatican. If they don’t vote, I’d put it down to apathy rather than any call from the Vatican. There’s concern in Italy over the low birthrate and what it will mean in the future.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top