S
Shaolen
Guest
How do you respond to a Baptist who posts this quote?
“It’s against my relationship with the person I love to get married.” It makes about as much sense.How do you respond to a Baptist who posts this quote?
I assume there is some context within which this comment was made. The context might effect my reply somewhat…but…How do you respond to a Baptist who posts this quote?
LOL!“Then you seem to have a dis-ordered relationship…I’d be happy to help you get it squared away”![]()
Oh ok if you assumption is true how can I show that the “go it alone” attitude is unbiblical?I assume there is some context within which this comment was made. The context might effect my reply somewhat…but…
Taking it as presented - in isolation - I would have to respond with some questions. What does he mean by “religion”? Then I would want to be sure I understood the meaning of the word and go from there. That would be my initial approach.
Usually such comments are in response to disillusionment with the hypocrisy of people in an established organized “religion” or a rejection of what is seen as “man made rules” etc.
It is a sort of “go it alone” attitude, a "me and Jesus (and the Bible) sort of mentality that is actually quite non, (even anti) biblical.
So if I am correct in my assumptions here for his reason and his outlook, then this will be the direction I would want to steer the conversation so that the proper seeds can be planted.
Peace
James
You could respond with this graphic: http://chirho.me/memes/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Willy-Wonka-Loves-Religion-and-Jesus.png Specifically, you might ask him how he interprets James 1:27. If he hates religion, does he hate that verse?How do you respond to a Baptist who posts this quote?
IMO, this is a relatively new gimmick to distance one group from others and make themselves look superior.“its against my relationship to have a religion”
How do you respond to a Baptist who posts this quote?
Being a Baptist, he is probably an advocate of Bible Alone basis for his beliefs. So I would say something like this:How do you respond to a Baptist who posts this quote?
You have given a good view, on how many non-catholics see us.It’s important to understand what “religion” means in this context. Most likely, this person means something like “a system of rituals by which man connects to God” so that merely conducting religious acts somehow merits favor with God.
As a Baptist, this person is thinking that religious acts by themselves profit nothing. Someone can be as religious as possible and still not had a true life changing encounter with Jesus Christ. In other words, it is possible to conform to Christian behavior on the outside while still being spiritually dead on the inside.
What is needed is less “religion” in this negative sense of the word and more authentic encounter with the person of Jesus Christ, who is the only one capable of changing us and making us new creations from the inside out rather than the outside in.
Once someone has truly encountered the person of Jesus Christ and is changed inwardly, the outward behavior befitting a Christian will manifest itself as the person progresses in their walk with Christ.