R
RKS89
Guest
I had lunch with a long-time friend yesterday. He hasn’t always made the best choices in life, and at the same time he’s not done much to rectify or improve his situation. He was raised by a well-meaning (and godly) mother but she was a little over-zealous, to the point that neither he or his two brothers have any faith at all (to be sure some of that’s due to divorce and their father basically having little to do with them). So he’s not a religious person, not even spiritual. He’s just scratching a life out day by day. Treading water.
Long story short he asked me what was different about myself since the last time I saw him, two years ago. I laid it all out for him- coming back to the Church, developing a wonderful and life-changing relationship with Christ, all that. And he basically said of all the Christians he’s talked to, I was the only one who didn’t seem “brainwashed”.
I say all that because when I said long story short I skipped what turned out to be a 3 hour conversation. And later that night when I reflected on my day I felt a deep sense of gratitude and love for Christ’s Church.
You guys, it’s great to be Catholic!
We have our spats that can seem trivial to some or on the verge of schism to others, but the Church goes on. Traditionalists, Latin Mass, Fatima, Pope Francis, yoga, homosexuals, divorced and remarried- all people and issues that can turn us against each other. But, you know what? We all gather together each Sunday to partake in the most awesome gift mankind has ever received- God become man and made spiritual food. We’ve got saints for every situation and need, devotions to fit into 15 minutes, prayer techniques for the contemplative and the active, multiple masses at multiple times all day every day, a calendar that is geared to help us achieve spiritual perfection… I mean, if I could design a religion based on all I’ve learned and experienced I could never arrive at Catholicism. It’s so complete and air-tight, the theology is beautiful and you can go as deep or as light as you’d like. Whatever suits you.
There’s a lot in this world that’s ugly and terrible, and so much talk about doing what works for you and makes you happy. You know what? You can find that here. You want ascetism? We got it. Charity? Got it. Community? Yes. Ritual and tradition? Also yes. Rigorous intellectual endeavors? Have a seat.
It’s great to be Catholic, to gather together, despite our differences and griping and outrages, as the Body of Christ to partake of Our Lord so we can go out and tell the world how good this thing of ours is.
Long story short he asked me what was different about myself since the last time I saw him, two years ago. I laid it all out for him- coming back to the Church, developing a wonderful and life-changing relationship with Christ, all that. And he basically said of all the Christians he’s talked to, I was the only one who didn’t seem “brainwashed”.
I say all that because when I said long story short I skipped what turned out to be a 3 hour conversation. And later that night when I reflected on my day I felt a deep sense of gratitude and love for Christ’s Church.
You guys, it’s great to be Catholic!
We have our spats that can seem trivial to some or on the verge of schism to others, but the Church goes on. Traditionalists, Latin Mass, Fatima, Pope Francis, yoga, homosexuals, divorced and remarried- all people and issues that can turn us against each other. But, you know what? We all gather together each Sunday to partake in the most awesome gift mankind has ever received- God become man and made spiritual food. We’ve got saints for every situation and need, devotions to fit into 15 minutes, prayer techniques for the contemplative and the active, multiple masses at multiple times all day every day, a calendar that is geared to help us achieve spiritual perfection… I mean, if I could design a religion based on all I’ve learned and experienced I could never arrive at Catholicism. It’s so complete and air-tight, the theology is beautiful and you can go as deep or as light as you’d like. Whatever suits you.
There’s a lot in this world that’s ugly and terrible, and so much talk about doing what works for you and makes you happy. You know what? You can find that here. You want ascetism? We got it. Charity? Got it. Community? Yes. Ritual and tradition? Also yes. Rigorous intellectual endeavors? Have a seat.
It’s great to be Catholic, to gather together, despite our differences and griping and outrages, as the Body of Christ to partake of Our Lord so we can go out and tell the world how good this thing of ours is.