L
Lutheranteach
Guest
As the resident non-Catholic at our school, I had a parent come to me today and ask some questions I could not answer. The direction of our director of religious studies, left them scratching their heads. I referred them to the parish priest for answers, but I thought I would share their issues here and seek (name removed by moderator)ut. Please do not berate these parents as they are incredibly nice and truly are seeking answers and to do the right thing.
Mom —*Catholic, involved with the church, but in private conversations is of the “cafeteria variety.”
Dad — At mass maybe once a month but is Methodist. This couple married in the Methodist Church and daughter was baptized there. THey have never sought to have marriage validated (whatever the term is)
Child —*lovely little girl who entered the school in 1st grade. She has had first confession
The question is first communion. Mom is for it. Dad is not. HE feels it makes his young lady exclusively Catholic and precludes her from attending Methodist Catechism later in life. He’s also rather liberal and as he says he does not, will not, has not supported the Catholic stance on a number of issues and will not teach or help teach them to his daughter (maybe even just the opposite) Both parents have made it clear they would NOT be in parochial school if the local public was up to snuff, but they are thrilled with the education and atmosphere. He’s also of the mind that a child has no business making such a decision as she doesn’t even know all of the 10 commandments, etc. (they skip teaching those of a sexual nature until much later) Our Director says the little girl can certainly attend Methodist services and even take communion there as she is NOT a Catholic until confirmation. The little girl wants to take first communion because it looks like fun and all her friends are doing it.
I was blunt in telling them both I will not even attempt to answer this one, it’s above my pay grade and my knowledge base. I did say he should talk to his pastor as well. Any takers on this?
Mom —*Catholic, involved with the church, but in private conversations is of the “cafeteria variety.”
Dad — At mass maybe once a month but is Methodist. This couple married in the Methodist Church and daughter was baptized there. THey have never sought to have marriage validated (whatever the term is)
Child —*lovely little girl who entered the school in 1st grade. She has had first confession
The question is first communion. Mom is for it. Dad is not. HE feels it makes his young lady exclusively Catholic and precludes her from attending Methodist Catechism later in life. He’s also rather liberal and as he says he does not, will not, has not supported the Catholic stance on a number of issues and will not teach or help teach them to his daughter (maybe even just the opposite) Both parents have made it clear they would NOT be in parochial school if the local public was up to snuff, but they are thrilled with the education and atmosphere. He’s also of the mind that a child has no business making such a decision as she doesn’t even know all of the 10 commandments, etc. (they skip teaching those of a sexual nature until much later) Our Director says the little girl can certainly attend Methodist services and even take communion there as she is NOT a Catholic until confirmation. The little girl wants to take first communion because it looks like fun and all her friends are doing it.
I was blunt in telling them both I will not even attempt to answer this one, it’s above my pay grade and my knowledge base. I did say he should talk to his pastor as well. Any takers on this?