James Tiberius Kirk, Neocon

• Thread starter Thread starter gilliam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gilliam

Occasional Reason contributor Paul Cantor, author of Gilligan Unbound: Pop Culture in the Age of Globalization, being interviewed by Americana: The Journal of American Popular Culture: The Prime Directive really takes us to the heart of the paradox of Star Trek. The United Federation of Planets is committed to non-interference in the affairs of other planets; Captain Kirk and his crew are not supposed to change the way of life of other civilizations. But, of course, they do it every episode–they just go right through the galaxy destroying one functioning civilization after another. I show that Kirk has a particular hostility to any civilization that smacks of theocracy or aristocracy. What it comes down to is this: the Enterprise will not interfere in a planetary civilization–provided that it looks just like John F. Kennedy’s 1960s America. But if it does not, it’s time to get out the phasers and blast away–to take down the Greek god Apollo, for example.

Star Trek provides a perfect reflection of the paradoxes of America’s foreign policy–the non-democratic imposition of democracy around the world. The Enterprise was out to make the galaxy safe for democracy–and it would destroy any civilization that stood in its way. Gene Roddenberry’s message was clear: woe to any planet not ruled by a liberal democrat.

reason.com/hitandrun/2005/02/james_tibertius.shtml#008278

40.png
gilliam:
the Enterprise will not interfere in a planetary civilization–provided that it looks just like John F. Kennedy’s 1960s America. But if it does not, it’s time to get out the phasers and blast away–to take down the Greek god Apollo, for example.
What a lousy example. There was no civilization in “Who Mourns for Adonais?”. Apollo lives in solitude on Pollux IV, and attempts to force the crew to stay there and worship him against their will. So Kirk resorts to force in order to escape.

A better example would have been “A Taste of Armageddon” or “Plato’s Stepchildren”.

Yeah, I need a life.

What about Darth Vader? He got the wrong end of the stick too? Think of all of the jobs the Deathstar provided!

May the force be with you,
Trevor 😉

40.png
mommy:
I always wondered about your average Joe on the deathstar. Had a family, kids, needed this job just to get by. And then , boom, the rebellion keeps blowing the darned thing up.
And yet you don’t have the same concerns for the people of Alderaan?

Didn’t say that at all.

Alderaan was a peaceful planet, they had no weapons, obviously did not deserve what they got.

I just always wondered - was EVERYONE on the death star evil? If you’re out of work, a job is a job. And if the Empire is in charge, how much choice did the little guy have.

that and when does Amidala have time to do her hair?

http://forum.catholic.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

40.png
mommy:
and also with you http://forum.catholic.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

I always wondered about your average Joe on the deathstar. Had a family, kids, needed this job just to get by. And then , boom, the rebellion keeps blowing the darned thing up.
Yeah, just scraping by. Nothing ever worked out for him. Then some popular, uppity idealist comes by and blows him up.

Where’s the humanity?

Live long and prosper,
Trevor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back