James White

• Thread starter Thread starter Tman11787
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tman11787

Hi All,

I had the opportunity to catch Tim Staples on CA a few days ago and was very impressed. Anyway, I wanted to explore his work further lead me to search the web and I came across the work of Dr. James White, whom I take a prolific writer and sharp anti-Catholic. **Wow! ** What did we ever do to him?

What’s his story, and can I find out more about where he’s interacted with other good Catholic apologists?

Thanks.

Yours in Christ,
Tman

40.png
Tman11787:
Hi All,

I had the opportunity to catch Tim Staples on CA a few days ago and was very impressed. Anyway, I wanted to explore his work further lead me to search the web and I came across the work of Dr. James White, whom I take a prolific writer and sharp anti-Catholic. **Wow! ** What did we ever do to him?

What’s his story, and can I find out more about where he’s interacted with other good Catholic apologists?

Thanks.

Yours in Christ,
Tman
Were you at St Edward in Corona CA where Tim Staple talked about End of Times?

No – I’m afraid not. When I wrote CA , meant on Catholic Answers the radio show not California. Sorry for the confusion…

here are all the articles i have collected (for phatmass.com) on James White:

Is Catholicism Christian?: My Debate with Dr. James White
“Whitewashing History”: Critique of James White’s Book, Mary–Another Redeemer?
Dr. James White’s Comparison of Catholic Answers and Catholic Apologist Dave Armstrong to Jack Chick
“Man-Centered” Sacramentalism: The Remarkable Incoherence of Dr. James White
A Refutation of the Fallacies and Reasoning of Dr. James White: Moses’ Seat, Authentic Tradition, and Sola Scriptura
Church Chat
ACTS Apologetics vs. James White (31 articles)
Name an ECF Who Is “Orthodox” by Protestant Standards: A Challenge to James White and Jason Engwer
The Challenge: Part Two
A Thorough Critique of James White’s The Roman Catholic Controversy
A Refutation of James White’s “Golden Index” Argument
A Reply to Protestant Apologist James White
The Church Always Had Monarchical Bishops: Response to James White
An Answer to James White on the Early Papacy
Jesus, Peter, and the Keys: James White’s Objections Answered
Catholic Insight vs. James White (20 articles)
The Rule of Faith in the Ancient Church: Joe Gallegos vs. James White
St. Athanasius and Sola Scriptura: Joe Gallegos vs. James White
A Burden Lifted?: Comments on White’s rebuttal of Pat Madrid’s article, “The White Man’s Burden”
The Church Fathers and Sola Fide: A Response to a Challenge by James White

for more on anti-catholicism, go here

for the entire reference section at phatmass, go here

pax christi,
phatcatholic

Dear Phat,

Thanks very, very much. Looks like I’ll be spending some quality time with my web browser this weekend…

PS – I’d be interested to continue to hear from others as well on this topic…

Yours in Christ,
Tman

In Patrick Madrid’s book “Surprised by Truth 3” there is a converstion story by his sister that give some insights into Mr. White. He remains worthy of our prayers.

40.png
Tman11787:
Dr. James White, whom I take a prolific writer and sharp anti-Catholic. **Wow! ** What did we ever do to him?
We have the audacity to preach the truth - that the mirror is not the final authority 🙂

That causes James W-hate (misspelling intentional) to go ballistic.

40.png
BobCatholic:
We have the audacity to preach the truth - that the mirror is not the final authority 🙂

That causes James W-hate (misspelling intentional) to go ballistic.
Bob:

See my sticky message about name calling.

I thank James White for having me dig deeper into my Catholic faith. I actually discovered White before I discovered Catholic Answers. Around 1991, I found a book by him at a “Berean Christian Store” entitled “Answers to Catholic Claims” (Crowne Publishers, 1990), now out of print. I bought it, flipped through it, and thought “this guy is pretty good.” I wonder if there’s any answer to him?

This was before I heard of Catholic Answers or had any of their material. A few months later (early 1992), I ordered the book White was responding to, namely, “Catholicism and Fundamentalism” by one Karl Keating. To be fair I wanted to read what White was responding to. Then I discovered Catholic Answers through Keating’s book, called them, and asked them if they had heard of this “James R. White”, yep I was told White debated one of their reps, Gerry Matatics (this was before Gerry’s move into radical traditionalism). I am still fond of Gerry, and support him. I know he’s rather “controversial” now…

I got those debate tapes (this was the very first Papacy debate White had with Matatics, and the one on Eternal Security both held in Dec 1990 if memory serves), and saw that Gerry indeed had answers to White, and it was pretty much all over for evangelicalism for me. I was “half-Protestant-evangelical” in my thinking back then (this was 1991 or so). Plus I started getting all the great books Keating mentions in the bibliography in Cath and Fund.

So I’m probably one of the few cradle “Catholic apologists” who discovered White before Catholic Answers. True story…and White is still losing the “battle” 15 years later 😃

Phil P

40.png
Tman11787:
Hi All,

Thanks.

Yours in Christ,
Tman
Dear Tman,
I have the following recordings and recommend them.

“The Bible Answer man Debate”
Jimmy Aiken v James White.
(Jimmy Aiken is the director of apologetics for Catholic Answers)
www.catholic.com

The Great Debate 2002 “The communion of Saints”
Patrick Madrid v James White
www.surprisedbytruth.com

<< “The Bible Answer man Debate” Jimmy Aiken v James White. >>

Definitely a “5 star” debate, but its Akin. You did get the Jimmy right 😃

The best Catholic-Protestant debate of all time gotta be the 1980’s John Ankerberg Show with Fr. Mitch Pacwa vs. Walter Martin of CRI (now headed by Hank Hanegraaff). But the 1995 Akin vs. White Bible Answer Man radio debate is a close second.

Speaking of debates, anybody in the New York area can tell us what happened at the recent Michuta vs. White OT canon debate? I gotta know whether I should toss 1 and 2 Maccabees. 😛

Phil P

40.png
PhilVaz:
The best Catholic-Protestant debate of all time gotta be the 1980’s John Ankerberg Show with Fr. Mitch Pacwa vs. Walter Martin of CRI (now headed by Hank Hanegraaff).
Phil P
Isn’t this the debate that made Tim Staple convert?

40.png
PhilVaz:
The best Catholic-Protestant debate of all time gotta be the 1980’s John Ankerberg Show with Fr. Mitch Pacwa vs. Walter Martin of CRI (now headed by Hank Hanegraaff). But the 1995 Akin vs. White Bible Answer Man radio debate is a close second.

Phil P
Is it possible to order the debate btw John Ankerberg & Fr. Mitch Pacwa?

I stumbled upon James White right before stumbling on Catholic Answers several years ago; spent a lot of time just shaking my head.

<< Is it possible to order the debate btw John Ankerberg & Fr. Mitch Pacwa? >>

Yep, I believe it is still available

www.ankerberg.org

Although I think now its an “abridged” version. I have the unabridged version since I got it shortly after it came out (in the late 1980s).

I have 4 videos, they discuss Peter/Papacy (short), justification (longer, several sections), purgatory, penance/confession, and of course Mary/saints. They don’t bother with Eucharist or Baptism since many Protestants basically agree with Catholics on those. They just dealt with the main differences.

Excellent, the unabridged version I have totals about 5 hours. Ankerberg and Martin (and the announcer) “gang up” on Pacwa, but if you wanna see an aggressive Fr. Mitch Pacwa fight back, get these videos. 😛 Pacwa is tame and mild today compared to this Ankerberg debate…but it was still polite and therefore an enjoyable debate.

Phil P

Did Father Pacwa lay the smack down on James White in that debate?

Just wanted to say “Hey” to everyone. This is my first time on a forum like this. I look forward to interacting with you all

I am strong in my Catholic faith, saved through Baptism, fighting the good fight everyday (stubbling at times), with trust and hope in Jesus that one day I will be worth to enter the gates of Heaven.

I’ve visited many other sites, including James (White). James, no need to “Lurk”, you are in good company.
God Bless
trobles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back