B
Big_Dummy
Guest
Is there any evidence that Jephthah’s daughter was not killed, but merely dedicated to lifelong virginity or dedicated for service related to the Temple?
There was Jewish human sacrifice in AD70?one of the several examples of human sacrifice that went on inside of Judaism, until maybe after the second exile period.
Sorry, I misrepresented the Jewish Study Bible, which says there was moral uncertainty about human sacrifice through the first temple period. I equated that mentally with the end of the second exile, c.400 BC.There was Jewish human sacrifice in AD70?
Ok, I got it. I had misunderstood ‘second exile’ to mean AD70, not the Babylon period.\Sorry, I misrepresented the Jewish Study Bible, which says there was moral uncertainty about human sacrifice through the first temple period. I equated that mentally with the end of the second exile, c.400 BC.
The JSB gives examples in scripture of references to human sacrifice, but the list is not exhaustive, necessarily. I don’t know when the last such is recorded in their scripture or in any other canonical text.
The tale of Jepthah is very problematic except for a few things.Is there any evidence that Jephthah’s daughter was not killed, but merely dedicated to lifelong virginity or dedicated for service related to the Temple?