J
Jarkoer
Guest
Not sure if this has been asked before, but Google turned up nothing for me…
I was in Bible Study last week, and we were going over Matthew 15. Everybody brought their own Bible. Usually we go over the different versions to get a better feel of what Scripture is saying, but we ran into something that confused us.
Matthew 15:23 in virtually every translation of the Bible reads:
"So his disciples approached him and said, “Send her away: see how she is shouting after us.”
However in the Jerusalem and the New Jerusalem Bible it reads:
“And his disciples went and pleaded with him, ‘Give her what she wants,’ they said, ‘because she is shouting after us.’”
I know it’s just a minor verse, but the different versions read completely different from one another, and that had my Bible study group very curious. Does anyone know why these versions are so different? I know the Jerusalem and New Jerusalem come highly recommended, so perhaps was it the source material from which they translated from that differed?
Any explanation would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
I was in Bible Study last week, and we were going over Matthew 15. Everybody brought their own Bible. Usually we go over the different versions to get a better feel of what Scripture is saying, but we ran into something that confused us.
Matthew 15:23 in virtually every translation of the Bible reads:
"So his disciples approached him and said, “Send her away: see how she is shouting after us.”
However in the Jerusalem and the New Jerusalem Bible it reads:
“And his disciples went and pleaded with him, ‘Give her what she wants,’ they said, ‘because she is shouting after us.’”
I know it’s just a minor verse, but the different versions read completely different from one another, and that had my Bible study group very curious. Does anyone know why these versions are so different? I know the Jerusalem and New Jerusalem come highly recommended, so perhaps was it the source material from which they translated from that differed?
Any explanation would be very much appreciated. Thanks!