Jesse's Stump

  • Thread starter Thread starter mbp
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mbp

Guest
I have been trying to explain to my husband what Jesse’s stump is, however, I don’t quite remember what it’s reference to Jesus is and where to find it. The priest at our parish puts tree branches in the back behind the alter and said it represents Jesse’s tree or stump. Can some one help me with this. Where do I look.
 
Jesse is David’s Father.

God promised that he would make a Kingdom from David’s Descendants - "I will make for your house a Kingdom". (paraphrasing)

In the Babylonian exile, it was thought that the Davidic monarchy was eradicated. Hence, Jesse’s family tree was cut off. This would make the tree a stump.

But Jesus would be the shoot that sprung up from the stump of Jesse. Matthew’s geneaology (chapter 1) proved that the line of David survived the Babylonian captivity.
 
I looked at the thread and thought what’s this about…Now if you had said" the root of Jesse… 🙂
 
Jesse’s stump or root is mentioned in Isaiah 11:1, 10, and Romans 15:12, where it is understood to be a prophecy that the Jewish Messiah would be a descendant of Jesse, King David’s father. The genealogies (or family trees) of Jesus Christ presented in Matthew 1 and Luke 3 both show that Jesse was Jesus’ ancestor, through Joseph, Jesus’ legal father.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top