Jesus, 33 years old when he died

• Thread starter Thread starter Tstone
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tstone

I’m wondering how we know that Jesus was about 33 years old when he was crucified. Thanks ahead of time for helping me with the answer to this question. :ani_help:

The Crucifixion coincided with an eclipse. The only likely years for eclipses visible in Jerusalem, according to astronomical calculations, were 30 and 33. On the (probably false) assumption that Jesus was born near the end of 1 B.C., he would have been 33 in the spring of A.D. 33.

More likely he was born around 6 B.C. (the date depends on the date of Herod’s death). If the Crucifixion were in 33, he would have been about 38; if it were in 30, he would have been about 35.

Many scholars think 30 is a more likely date for the Crucifixion, but 33 may have an advantage in one regard: If our Lord were 38, the statement that he was “not yet 40” seems to make sense. Of course, one could have made the same comment about someone who was 35.

Lu 3:23
Jesus, when he began his ministry, was about** thirty years of age**, being the son (as was supposed) of Joseph, the son of Heli,

From his ministry to his crucifixion was less than a year.

40.png
beng:
Lu 3:23
Jesus, when he began his ministry, was about** thirty years of age**, being the son (as was supposed) of Joseph, the son of Heli,

From his ministry to his crucifixion was less than a year.
  1. “About thirty years of age” may have the equivalent of our “in his thirties.”
  2. Some scholars think our Lord’s ministry lasted only a year. Others think two. I believe the majority, historically, has said three.

Wow Karl (I hope I can address you by your first name; never having been personally introduced)! I just registered a few minutes ago, posted the question that has been longest on my mind (since I was a pre-teen) and within minutes receive a reply from the founder of Catholic Answers.

As you really sitting at your computer browsing and replying at this moment? I’ve never been in a “forum” or anything like this before. Amazing :bowdown: Thank you!

I hope you have a wonderful evening, Karl. May God continue to bless your life as you have blessed mine.

It would be intersting if we had exact proof of Christ’s age when he died for our sins. Yet, the number 33 would have signifcant symbolism since the number three denotes the Trinity and to have ‘33’ would be perfect symbolism of the Divinity of Christ.

Just a thought here, any crediable proof of this?

Go with God!
Edwin

40.png
Edwin1961:
The number 33 would have signifcant symbolism since the number three denotes the Trinity and to have ‘33’ would be perfect symbolism of the Divinity of Christ.

Just a thought here, any crediable proof of this?
Sorry, Edwin, but there’s no definitive proof of Christ’s age.

Some scholars put his birth as early as 8 B.C. If he died in A.D. 33, he would have been 40. This might remind one of the 40 days he fasted in the wilderness or of the Israelites’ 40 years in the desert, but a reminder is all it would be. It wouldn’t be proof of anything on its own.

40.png
Tstone:
Wow Karl (I hope I can address you by your first name; never having been personally introduced)! I just registered a few minutes ago, posted the question that has been longest on my mind (since I was a pre-teen) and within minutes receive a reply from the founder of Catholic Answers.

As you really sitting at your computer browsing and replying at this moment?
Actually, no. I’m not at my computer–and never have been.

All the replies that appear over my name are generated by an audioanimatronic device rescued from the Disneyland laboratories before Michael Eisner took over the company.

(Sorry to deflate your balloon.)

Karl Keating:
Actually, no. I’m not at my computer–and never have been.

All the replies that appear over my name are generated by an audioanimatronic device rescued from the Disneyland laboratories before Michael Eisner took over the company.

(Sorry to deflate your balloon.)
That sounds like something I could use. Let me know when you want to sell it, Karl. 😃

Actually, I don’t know when Jesus was crucified, but I was 33 when I received my First Communion.

John

Where does the moon is full come in? Was Jesus supposed to be crucified during a full moon?

Karl Keating:
Perhaps this could be the centerpiece of a Catholic Answers Theme Park.

Yet another Southern California attraction.

The first of these passages reads: “And Jesus himself was beginning about the age of thirty years”. The phrase “was beginning” does not qualify the following expression “about the age of thirty years”, but rather indicates the commencement of the public life. As we have found that the birth of Jesus falls within the period 747-749 A.U.C., His public life must begin about 777-779 A.U.C. ** The Year of the Death of Christ**

According to the Evangelists, Jesus suffered under the high priest Caiphas (A.U.C. 772-90, or A.D. 18-36), during the governorship of Pontius Pilate A.U.C. 780-90). But this leaves the time rather indefinite. Tradition, the patristic testimonies for which have been collected by Patrizi (De Evangeliis), places the death of Jesus in the fifteenth (or sixteenth) year of Tiberius, in the consulship of the Gemini, forty-two years before the destruction of Jerusalem, and twelve years before the preaching of the Gospel to the Gentiles. We have already seen that the fifteenth year of Tiberius is either 778 or 782, according to its computation from the beginning of Tiberius’s associate or sole reign; the consulship of the Gemini (Fufius and Rubellius) fell in A.U.C. 782; the forty second year before the destruction of Jerusalem is A.D. 29, or A.U.C. 782, twelve years before the preaching of the Gospel to the Gentiles brings us to the same year, A.D. 29 or A.U.C. 782, since the conversion of Cornelius, which marks the opening of the Gentile missions, fell probably in A.D. 40 or 41.:blessyou:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back