Jesus and Mary Magdalene

• Thread starter Thread starter Maddalena
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maddalena

Ok, Mary Magdalene is my favorite saint, and it really bugs me when people are like, “Mary Magdalene and Jesus were married” or, “Mary Magdalene was pregnant with Jesus’s baby.” One of the reasons why she is my favorite is because I think it’s really amazing how close Jesus and Mary M. were FRIEND-WISE. I had never seen an instance where two people were so close unless they were family or married. My question is what started all of those stupid rumors about them being lovers? Did it start when that movie the Last Temptation of Christ came out? Or have people always wondered that?

40.png
Maddalena:
My question is what started all of those stupid rumors about them being lovers?
The DaVinci Code seems to be the main purveyor of this particular fallacy.

JimG

40.png
Maddalena:
Ok, Mary Magdalene is my favorite saint, and it really bugs me when people are like, “Mary Magdalene and Jesus were married” or, “Mary Magdalene was pregnant with Jesus’s baby.” One of the reasons why she is my favorite is because I think it’s really amazing how close Jesus and Mary M. were FRIEND-WISE. I had never seen an instance where two people were so close unless they were family or married. My question is what started all of those stupid rumors about them being lovers? Did it start when that movie the Last Temptation of Christ came out? Or have people always wondered that?
I have no idea when these notions started about Jesus and Mary Magdalene, but I know where it comes from, the problem is that God has been so watered down now for so long that people have no idea who He is anymore. God use to by way up, up, up here and we were way down, down, down here. Now what people (or should I say satan) have done is elevate ourselves and lowered God and we sit at the table equally.

Now really how can a man live without sex, this is common thought (totally ridiculous) If the average citizen believes it impossible for any man to live without sex (and they do, this is why Priests are mocked and made fun of) Why would Jesus live without sex, especially when he is considered just as common as you or I. The reason you never had this problem in years gone by is because even an athiest acknowledged that a Supreme Being was not a common man.

You can not love and serve God, if you do not know Him first. I encourage all good Catholics to Know God and learn everything you can to fight this kind of heresy.

Heart of Jesus, Son of the Eternal Father,
Heart of Jesus, formed by the Holy Spirit in the womb of the Virgin Mother,
Heart of Jesus, substantially united to the Word of God,
Heart of Jesus, of infinite majesty,
Heart of Jesus, holy Temple of God,
Heart of Jesus, Tabernacle of the Most High,
Heart of Jesus, House of God and Gate of Heaven,
Heart of Jesus, burning Furnace of charity,
Heart of Jesus, Vessel of justice and love,
Heart of Jesus, full of goodness and love,
Heart of Jesus, Abyss of all virtues,
Heart of Jesus, most worthy of all praise,
Heart of Jesus, King and center of all hearts,
Heart of Jesus, in Whom are all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge,
Heart of Jesus, in Whom dwelleth all the fullness of the divinity,
Heart of Jesus, in Whom the Father was well pleased,
Heart of Jesus, of whose fullness we have all received,
Heart of Jesus, desire of the everlasting hills,
Heart of Jesus, patient and abounding in mercy,
Heart of Jesus, rich unto all who call upon Thee,
Heart of Jesus, Fountain of life and holiness,
Heart of Jesus, Propitiation for our sins,
Heart of Jesus, filled with reproaches,
Heart of Jesus, bruised for our offenses,
Heart of Jesus, made obedient unto death,
heart of Jesus, pierced with a lance,
Heart of Jesus, Source of all consolation,
Heart of Jesus, our Life and Resurrection,
Heart of Jesus, our Peace and Reconciliation,
Heart of Jesus, Victim for our sins,
Heart of Jesus, Salv ation of those who hope inb Thee,
Heart of Jesus, Hope of those who die in Thee,
Heart of Jesus, Delight of all the saints

Have mercy on us!

I remember talk of Jesus and Mary Magdalene being lovers way back when the musical Jesus Christ Superstar came out (in the '70s?), and with the song Mary sings “I Don’t Know How to Love Him.” The words are not exactly orthodox! This heresy probably dates way back in time…

I don’t know when it started, but recently, among radical feminists and wiccans, Mary Magdalene, whom they always call St. Mary Magdalene, has become somewhat of an icon. She is given supremacy over the Blessed Virgin by them. This is probably because a man would not have his mother as a lover or wife, and they desperately want Jesus to have an active love interest. I guess it would humanize the divine Jesus and elevate the human Magdalene.

Believe me, I’m only guessing at their motivation.

Just found this thread, St. Mary Magdalena is my
favourite saint too and I don´t believe Jesus was married
with her or that she was pregnant.

To me she was very loyal and faithful to Him and
must have learned from Him a lot.
I also heard that she was a prostitute but I can´t
find that anywhere. Maybe somebody can help me out.

Emmy

it is actually talked about in some of the “lost gospels” (not really gospels at all and the authors are definitely in question) written in the first few centuries of the church. it has always been a rumor that has been with us and i don’t see it ever going away.

No idea on the origination of that. I first heard it by hearsay of people that were discussing it. I personally don’t see any scripture to back it up. That is my main source to confirm information, and I consider the idea purely offensive.

I agree I think it is very offensive.
Now she is mentioned a few times by name in the
Gospel and there is also Mary and Martha and the woman
who washed Jesus feet with her hair. I can´t find
any proof that that is really St. Mary Magdalena.
so maybe she is?
I just wonder that cause why name her a few times
by name (Mary Magdalena), and other times by
Mary (there were more Mary´s that time) or just woman.

Emmy

Emmy:

I am a cradle Catholic, but in no way an expert. If my memory serves me right, this is what I remember from my years of cathechism.

Mary Magdalene, who was an adultress, was about to be stoned to death by a crowd, when Jesus came upon them. He told the crowd, “He who is without sin should cast the first stone.” They all eventually threw down their stones and walked away. Then Jesus said, “Woman, go and sin no more.”

The verses you refer too I do know but it is talking
about a woman, the name Mary Magdalena is not
mentioned there.

Emmy

Hi Emmy:

I can’t believe I’m talking to someone in Holland. I am way deep down in dixie in the extreme southern part of the United States, you can find me in Southern Louisiana. It is very hot here, yes, heat indexes around 105…

Besides seeing this in a movie scene, The Passion of Christ, I’ll try to figure out why I am pretty sure this is Mary Magdelene. Let me ask some of the experts. I’ll get back to you on that…

I am a cradle catholic too and no expert at all
but I do like to study about Mary Magdalena so all info
is welcome. I will try to find the verses myself too.

Btw storm here, lots of wind and rain today.
And I love talking to people all around the world
about subjects I am interested in.

Emmy

Mary M was at one time identified as the adulteress (sp?) about to be stoned who was saved by Jesus. She was also identified as a prostitute by an early pope I believe.

Here is my question, I am under the impression that recently (in the last 25-50 years anyway) the Church has said that whether Mary M was an adulteress and/or a prostitute is not proven. Can anyone confirm that we no longer identify Mary M as a prostitute?

40.png
Charles:
Mary M was at one time identified as the adulteress (sp?) about to be stoned who was saved by Jesus. She was also identified as a prostitute by an early pope I believe.

Where can we find this?

Emmy

John 8

1 while Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. 1 2 But early in the morning he arrived again in the temple area, and all the people started coming to him, and he sat down and taught them. 3 Then the scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery and made her stand in the middle. 4 They said to him, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the very act of committing adultery. 5 Now in the law, Moses commanded us to stone such women. 2 So what do you say?” 6 They said this to test him, so that they could have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and began to write on the ground with his finger. 3 7 4 But when they continued asking him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 Again he bent down and wrote on the ground. 9 And in response, they went away one by one, beginning with the elders. So he was left alone with the woman before him. 10 Then Jesus straightened up and said to her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?” 11 She replied, “No one, sir.” Then Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you. Go, (and) from now on do not sin any more.”

I don´t see the name Mary Magdalena here…
Emmy

Pope Gregory the Great was, I believe, the first to put two and two together regarding Mary Magdalene and the adulterous woman. He may or may not have been correct. Certainly, the Eastern Churches have never taught that Mary Magdalene was an adulteress. Catholic scholars have questioned the assertion for hundreds of years.

I hope that this helps!

The Catholic Encyclopedia at Newadvent.org has nice coverage of these questions at St. Mary Magdalen

It covers that Latin tradition, attributed to Pope St Gregory the Great, maintains there are three women described in the Bible who are all Mary Magdalene.* The sinner who washes his feet with her tears and hair (Luke 7:37-50)
  • Mary who is called Magdalen, out of whom seven devils were gone forth" (Luke 8:2);
  • Christ’s visit to Martha and Mary “in a certain town” (Luke 10:38-42)
The Greek fathers maintained they were three different people. St. Ambrose, St. Jerome, St. Augustine, St. Albert the Great and St. Thomas Aquinas all refrained from making a final decision.

The Catholic calender split out the three into separate people in 1969.

The adultress saved from stoning was an entirely different character, not traditionally identified with Mary Magdalene. The “sinner who washed his feet” was assumed to be a prostitute or an adulterer, but that does not mean it is the same woman Jesus saved from stoning.

Bernard Jones:
Pope Gregory the Great was, I believe, the first to put two and two together regarding Mary Magdalene and the adulterous woman. He may or may not have been correct. Certainly, the Eastern Churches have never taught that Mary Magdalene was an adulteress. Catholic scholars have questioned the assertion for hundreds of years.

I hope that this helps!
Thanks Bernard, I thought that was the case but could not remember where I’d read it.

There is evidence biblically that it was Mary…and Church tradition says it was her as well. For instance, St. John’s Gospel makes it impossible to deny the identity of Mary of Bethany being Magdalena…St. John refers to Mary as, “she that anointed the Lord’s feet”…in reference to St. Luke (7:37), “and, behold, a woman in the city, which was a sinner…brought an alabaster box of ointment, 38 And stood at his feet behind him weeping, and began to wash his feet with tears, and did wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and anointed them with the ointment. Now when the Pharisee which had bidden him saw it, he spake within himself, saying, This man, if he were a prophet, would have known who and what manner of woman this is that toucheth him: for she is a sinner.”

For a somewhat indepth look…see:

ewtn.com/library/MARY/09761A.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back