Jesus Christ Superstar, Great Christian Art or Hippie Rock?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SimonX
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Webber a Christian? Isn’t he a homosexual?

How does he resolve that one?
 
Is Webber a Christian?
I’m not sure. In an interview with The Christian Century he wasn’t asked point-blank, but the question was more or less asked and he dodged answering it. religion-online.org/showarticle.asp?title=1011
Isn’t he a homosexual?
I’m not sure how that is relevant to the discussion, but he has been married three times and has five children.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Lloyd_Webber
How does he resolve that one?
:confused:
 
Although sounded a bit dated, what does the current audience think of the music? Is it great Christian art or just another example of Hippie Rock?
Great hippie rock about the historical Jesus, not God the Son.
 
When I was growing up, my parents didn’t allow we children to see JCSS, claiming it was sacriligious. So recently when it came up in discussion on another forum, and so many members said they loved it, I decided to rent it to view for the first time over Easter.
I didn’t warm to it, and did think it was somewhat sacriligious. It just seemed wrong to me to focus so on Jesus, just the man, because to me you cannot seperate him from his divine nature. And TN’s and the others’ voices, with the exception of EE, just grated on my nerves.
I viewed 3/4 of it before deciding it’s not for me and not something I wanted to share with the whole family.
I almost feel guilty for NOT loving it like everyone else seems to. I found it very irritating and the Youtube videos of TN, a man in his 60’s portraying Jesus just seems like such a huge stretch and he doesn’t pull it off at all.
Sorry!!😊
 
I just saw Ted Neeley this weekend in Jesus Christ Superstar. That man can still sing! I think the plays are always more serious, spiritual, and less sacrilegious, if you will. (I don’t really know how to say it.) I don’t think the movie and the play are comparable, IMO. The movie isn’t for everyone. I think the plays are more mainstream.
 
I guess I will always be a fan. The musical conveys some facets of Christ well and some poorly, as do most secular versions of the Gospel. For example, while portraying Christ as resentful of His sacrifice, it did show the pain in the garden as well as anything until The Passion came along.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top