A
AndrewRaZ
Guest
I’ve been puzzled over this passage for almost a week, and I thought I would ask if anyone has some insight.Mark 11:
(12)On the following day, when they came from Bethany, he was hungry. (13)And seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to see if he could find anything on it. When he came to it, he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs. (14)And he said to it, “may no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard it. (RSV)
Jesus comes to the tree, hoping to find fruit, but it has none–it only appears healthy. Then he curses the tree for only appearing to be healthy, and not actually producing good fruit. Then he proceeds to cleanse the temple, demonstrating this very reality: those who will not produce good fruits of charity and righteousness will be expelled from the temple. Then, he returns to the fig tree, which is withered, a visible sign of the reality of Israel, which is later seen more vividly in the destruction of the city following Jesus’ crucifixion. (Paraphrased from Ignatius study bible.)
That sounds like a fine and dandy explanation apart for one thing:
“It was not the time for figs.”
It seems hardly just that Jesus would curse a tree for doing what God had designed it to do, and only bear fruit during certain seasons. It’s like being mad at my car for not turning on when I haven’t put the key in the ignition. Things are designed to work in a certain sequence, and Jesus seems like he is demanding that the tree work outside that sequence, and curses it for failing to do so.
The only help I have gotten so far is from a passage one priest suggested:
“preach the word; be urgent in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.” (2 Tim 4). However, that is far away from the context here, and we can certainly apply it, but I’m not entirely sure it does apply.
Is anyone able to shed light on my puzzlement?