Jesus' Temptations in the Desert?

  • Thread starter Thread starter scameter18
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scameter18

Guest
I was thinking about the Gospel event of Jesus being tempted for 40 days in the desert by Satan, and I thought of a question that I can’t find an answer to. How did the Gospel writers learn of this? The Gospels themselves don’t describe Jesus telling his experience to his apostles or family. The only thing implied is that they knew he left. Why he left, or what happened to him in the desert, how did they learn this? Did he tell them afterwards, or something else?
 
We can read the gospels in an hour or so. (Or I can. Fast reader if I choose)
Jesus spent years with the disciples.
Were there many things, do you think, in all that time, perhaps of an evening, that they did not companionably ask Jesus any question that you too might have liked to ask Him, and more!

"Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written." (John 21:25)

And that would go for what the dear Lord shared with them.
Do you not think they would wish to know whether He agreed with John, His cousin, that repentance and penance was indeed necessary…and that they may have gazed into the coals of the evening fire as He answered and taught them this and many other things? 🙂

Another reference: "Therefore many other signs Jesus also performed in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book" John 20:30

God bless you!
 
I was thinking about the Gospel event of Jesus being tempted for 40 days in the desert by Satan, and I thought of a question that I can’t find an answer to. How did the Gospel writers learn of this? The Gospels themselves don’t describe Jesus telling his experience to his apostles or family. The only thing implied is that they knew he left. Why he left, or what happened to him in the desert, how did they learn this? Did he tell them afterwards, or something else?
As Trishie pointed out, personally, I don’t think it’s that much of a stretch to assume that Jesus talked of the event afterwards - or at least mentioned it when asked, even if the Gospels don’t explicitly record the disciples questioning Jesus one time at the Sea of Galilee or someplace else. But yes, many might find the image of Jesus talking to His disciples like, “Well, there’s this one time when I went out there in the desert…” to be quite odd at first. 😉
 
Jesus would have explained to them what happened in front of Pilot (because they abandoned Him) as well as the Garden of Gethsemane (due to their sleeping in). Just as Mary would have explained the infancy narratives.

Doesn’t John’s Gospel indicate that Jesus appeared many times to the Apostles after His Resurrection. You can only talk about the weather for so long before you have to get to the important stuff.
 
Oh it’s not that I had trouble believing that the apostles learned the information, rather than inventing it or something. I was simply curious if there was an official theory. The idea that Jesus told them Himself certainly makes sense. I think it also works to “humanize” Christ, as many Catholics point out to pray to God not just as Lord, but as a friend. The apostles I’m sure talked to him as such. Thank you all and God bless. 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top