Jesus the liar?

  • Thread starter Thread starter coolduude
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the other replies. I still don’t have time to answer all the questions (finals are coming up).

Maybe this will help clarify my last question:
jesus-christ-channel.com/map-of-jesus-travel.html

That is a map and description of all of Jesus’ travels. So here’s a clarification on my last question:

How do we know Jesus was a moral person between Points A and B, which are not recorded in the Bible? Obviously, everything in the Bible that has to do with Jesus is moral, but what about His travels? Could He have been immoral inbetween teachings/good works?

I know I sound crazy. I apologize. I’m not trying to cop out, rather I’m trying to cover all the bases before I draw a conclusion. 😦
 
How do we know Jesus was a moral person between Points A and B, which are not recorded in the Bible? Obviously, everything in the Bible that has to do with Jesus is moral, but what about His travels? Could He have been immoral inbetween teachings/good works?
No, because Jesus is God, so he did not act immorally. The apostles travelled with Jesus - if he was acting immorally, would they continue to follow him as the Messiah and proclaim him as such (Matthew 16:16; Mark 8:29; Luke 9:20; John 1:1)?

We don’t know everything Jesus did, but we have to use what we know about Jesus (that he is the Son of God) to come to the conclusion that it was not in his nature to sin.
 
Coolduude,

lets look at Muhammad and the Islamic writings of him in comparison. The Islamic writings have Muhammad executing people in cold blood, authorising the taking of slaves and booty, and taking between 11 and 13 wives. At least two were because God told him to, these being Aisha, a 6 year old and Zaynab, the former wife of his adopted son. He also took wives from the men he killed in battle. Muslims will say that much of this was simply a reflection of the times. These writings though to most Western people will seem “questionable” at best.

Where are the questionable things about Jesus ?

With the writings of Jesus we have occurrences where He went against local custom and culture and would have been severley looked down on at the time. This includes talking to women, calling the Samaritan’s brothers and contrasting their good behaviour in parables with His own fellow Jews, healing people on a Sabbath, claiming the disability of a beggar had nothing to do with his sin or that of his parents, protecting the life of an adulterer when asked to make a ruling as she was about to be stoned, as well as claiming Divinity through things such as forgiving sins and claiming He and the Father are one.
Now many Jews of the time and many today will disagree with Jesus on many of these things He did.

So i would say two things, firstly like Muhammad who was followed by many we should have writings of Jesus’ bad actions if there are any - there are not.

Secondly, the Gospel writings do not shy away from writing about Jesus’ “questionable” behaviour. But in today’s light we are more likely to agree with Jesus’ actions than that of the contemporary culture He was immersed in. This only strenghtens the claims for His goodness.

So if you are wanting to call Jesus a liar or an immoral scoundrel, there is no evidence to back you up and plenty of evidence to discount it.

If the question then becomes - “what if we missed something” then you will always travel around in circles wondering about what you don’t know.

You should act on what you do know.
 
Hi all,

As some of you know, I have really been struggling with the Divinity of Christ. For me, it just seems that God wouldn’t become a man, though I suppose He can if He wants.

Anyway, the liar part of C.S. Lewis’ Trilemma argument seems to be my biggest hurdle. I am having the hardest time trying to understand why Jesus was truthful.

I found this:

"Why Jesus can’t be a liar:

A). It does not fit Jesus’ identity – anyone who has ever read the bible would have to conclude that Jesus possesses traits that are diametrically opposed to that of a liar. He cared for the oppressed, healed the sick, showed compassion to people, selfless, corrected others and showed them the truth. No person at that time even the religious authorities, withstand to the challenge of Jesus to falsify His testimonies (cf. John 18:23)."
(tridentinecatholic.blogspot.com/2008/01/who-is-jesus-christ-proving-divinity-of.html)

But here’s the problem: I’ve known liars who have done good works on ocassion. So it’s hard for me to combine words and actions. In my head, I’m thinking ‘Sure, Jesus preached that stuff. And he healed people, etc. But He could still be a liar’ I just can’t make the connection and put it all together. Does this make sense?

I know I’ve posted other threads on Jesus’ Divinity, but I’m still not accepting Jesus as God. I really need help I guess 😦
By the way, if clarification is needed please ask.

Thank you!
Coolduude
1 Samuel 15:29
“Moreover, the Eternal One of Israel (God) does not lie and does not relent, for He is not a human that He should relent.”

Numbers 23:19
“God is not a man that He should be deceitful,nor a son a son of man that He should relent.”

God is not a human being and He does not lie.

Now here is a problem in the Christian scriptures in this regard:

Yeshua frequently insisted that his messianic activities be kept secret :

(Mark 1:44,5:43,7:36,8:30 and 9;9)

However in John 18:20 he tells the High Priest after his arrest that he has always spoken openly about his message “and in secret I have said nothing”.

What is the accepted Christian explanation as to the apparent lie to the High Priest?
 
Chosenpeople:

I responded to that claim (and others) in the thread ‘Jewish responses to Jesus as the Messiah’. If you recall, we had an engaging discussing around Holy Week. The thread died after repeated attempts by myself to gather a response from you on these claims. So the answer is in that thread.
 
If Jesus was a liar lots of other people the Apostles Disciples,the saints and all those who willingly gave their lives for the truth have to be liars.You have to pray to the Holy Spirit for the gift of .We will also pray for you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top