Jewish Catholic

• Thread starter Thread starter Ryt
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Ryt, I’ve just been reading something written by an online acquaintance. He is a Protestant, but I think many Catholics would be largely in agreement with the point he is making in this paragraph:

2. Paul also says in the passage of Romans quoted above (chapter 11) that gentile believers are brought spiritually into Israel. We are grafted in because we are ‘in Christ’, and Christ is an Israelite. This view might be termed Enlargement Theology: the people of God are enlarged to encompass gentile believers in Christ as well as the Jews. Notice the phrase ‘as well as’, not ‘instead of’. The latter phrase would correspond to so-called Replacement Theology (also known as Supersessionism), the view that the church has replaced the Jews as the only people of God. That view contradicts Paul’s statement that God’s gifts and his call are irrevocable, and implies that God is a liar to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Paul speaks to the Romans about the church and Israel side by side, and the church is not called the ‘new Israel’ at any point in the New Testament.

Last edited:
These “human” laws, however, according to (Orthodox) Judaism, are really divine laws. That is, Moses did not make them up; rather, they were divinely inspired. One might compare Moses’ writing and giving of the Law, the first Five Books of the Hebrew Scriptures, to the Church’s Magisterium.

Last edited:
Neither do Jews believe that the so-called ceremonial or ritual laws are “necessary for salvation.” They are obeyed (by some) because G-d commanded them. It is not a question of salvation.

I want to clarify one thing. Orthodox Judaism is the only form of Judaism. Reform or conservative movements are not real Judaism. They make up their own rules and a lot of them dont believe In G-d or the Bible, it is basically just a social club so there is no need to write “orthodox” just Judaism is enough.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I must disagree. There are several streams of Judaism. From your Orthodox perspective, you may believe Reform, Reconstructionist, or Conservative movements are not “real Judaism,” but this is not the perspective of Jews who belong to any of these movements. And those who do belong to these other streams, unlike atheist Jews, believe in G-d and are not merely members of a “social club.” Apart from this, even Orthodox Judaism is not uniform.

Last edited:
And even as Catholic Answers senior apologistJimmy Akin stated, the canon of the Pharisees was identical to the canon of later protestants.
40.png
BartholomewB:
This attribution to Jimmy Akin crops up from time to time on these threads. Can you give a link, please?
I heard a priest years ago during an RCIA class state that the protestants were using the same canon the pharisees used.

In Jimmy Akin’s video he explains that the boundaries of the books belonging to the OT, during the days of Jesus and the apostles was pretty fuzzy. Jimmy is pretty clear in saying that Jesus, Our Lord, and the Apostles chose the Septuagint, which is what one would find in a Catholic bible. It’s a good video confirming the Catholic books of the OT.

Last edited:
I am of Jewish descent from my maternal grandfather. I love being descended from God’s chosen people, Shalom. I do not consider myself a Jew (I was raised more in line with my grandmother’s American Indian heritage). If you wish to keep kosher or wear a yarmulke, then feel free to do so, but do not be legalistic about such things. An example from my own life: I am a vegetarian but I do not go around telling other people that they should be vegetarians. Welcome, God bless you on your journey!

Hi. Judaism passes through the mother so since your maternal grandmother was not Jewish then you are not.

I am also a vegetarian.

In Jimmy Akin’s video he explains that the boundaries of the books belonging to the OT, during the days of Jesus and the apostles was pretty fuzzy. Jimmy is pretty clear in saying that Jesus, Our Lord, and the Apostles chose the Septuagint, which is what one would find in a Catholic bible. It’s a good video confirming the Catholic books of the OT.
What he specifically stated was that not all Jews agreed on the exact same old testament canon, but the Pharisees did. And it was this canon of the Pharisees that Jesus affirmed in Luke chapter 16 verse 29, which was also the same Canon that Protestants wouldn’t embrace a millennia and a half later. When Jimmy stated that Jesus and the disciples embraced the Septuagint, what he didn’t disclose was that the Septuagint in the early first century did not include the deuterocanonical books, but was limited to only those books in the Hebrew Bible. In the New Testament writers including the apostles like Matthew and John did not utilize the Septuagint 100% of the time in the New Testament epistles when quoting from the old testament. Sometimes they would deviate from the Septuagint and use her own Greek translation, because it was even more faithful translation from the inspired Hebrew than the Septuagint was.

These “human” laws, however, according to (Orthodox) Judaism, are really divine laws. That is, Moses did not make them up; rather, they were divinely inspired. One might compare Moses’ writing and giving of the Law, the first Five Books of the Hebrew Scriptures, to the Church’s Magisterium.
Very true. The Catholic response to this (if I’m articulating it correctly) is that God gave those commands to the Jews in order to prepare them for their role in introducing the Gentiles to His Kingdom. In other words, to prepare them in order to recognize the Messiah.

From our (Catholic) perspective, the Catholic Church would not properly understand sacrifice without the sacrifices ancient Jews endured.

God Bless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back