John 20 and the Shroud

  • Thread starter Thread starter NYTony
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NYTony

Guest
Being a believer in the authenticity of the Shroud, I have always wondered if Peter and John were the first witnesses. St. John simply ends the chapter with “and he believed”. Could the Shroud’s image or perhaps even the Sudarium been the cause for that sudden belief. Anyone know if there have been any writings on this subject? Thanks.
 
I’ve heard it discussed on various Shroud of Turin programs on EWTN, the cloths possibly being the object for consideration.

Found this website where it is discussed:

shroud.com/dreisbc2.htm

Did you happen to see the program where the face of the man on the Shroud of Turin was digitally reproduced?
 
I’ve heard it discussed on various Shroud of Turin programs on EWTN, the cloths possibly being the object for consideration.

Found this website where it is discussed:

shroud.com/dreisbc2.htm

Did you happen to see the program where the face of the man on the Shroud of Turin was digitally reproduced?
Thanks for the link Barb. It was intersesting to note that the Reverend made direct reference to John 20 in his writing. I did see that special and thought that it was well done. Thanks again.
 
Being a believer in the authenticity of the Shroud, I have always wondered if Peter and John were the first witnesses. St. John simply ends the chapter with “and he believed”. Could the Shroud’s image or perhaps even the Sudarium been the cause for that sudden belief. Anyone know if there have been any writings on this subject? Thanks.
Wild speculation.
I do not believe anyway that it is genuine. Even the Church has not declared it to be genuine.
 
Wild speculation.
I do not believe anyway that it is genuine. Even the Church has not declared it to be genuine.
I searched the net and found a picture of Pope John Paul II praying before the shroud so I would think that he thought it was the burial cloth of Christ even if the church has not come out and said so.

I for one believe it is the burial cloth of Christ.
 
Being a believer in the authenticity of the Shroud, I have always wondered if Peter and John were the first witnesses. St. John simply ends the chapter with “and he believed”. Could the Shroud’s image or perhaps even the Sudarium been the cause for that sudden belief. Anyone know if there have been any writings on this subject? Thanks.
I saw on program about in on the History Channel, where an expert tried to reconstruct the face of the man on the Shroud. He also theorized how it could possibly have been transferred on the shroud and the technology to do that did not exist then and I think he said does not exist today.

So you may to search the History Channel for the name of the program.

For the sudarium, here is the connection with the Veil of Manoppelo:

holyfaceofmanoppello.blogspot.com/2008/05/fr-heinrich-pfeiffer-sj-teaches-about.html
 
I searched the net and found a picture of Pope John Paul II praying before the shroud so I would think that he thought it was the burial cloth of Christ even if the church has not come out and said so.

I for one believe it is the burial cloth of Christ.
Let me repeat what I said.

The Church has NOT declared the Shroud to be genuine.
 
And the Church has NOT declared it to be a hoax.
That is not relevant. The OP is talking about its authenticy and seems to be implying that the Church has said its authentic. The Church has not made any statement about its authenticity, i.e. the Church has not declared it to be authentic.

People are free to believe it to be real or not.

There is overwhelming evidence to support it being a medieval hoax.
There is zero evidence to support it being the burial cloth of Christ.

(and yes I have books on the Shroud, read the articles on Shroud websites, have several dvd’s about the Shroud and watched the tv documentaries on the Shroud)

There is no doubt in my mind the image was made by a camera obscura.
 
That is not relevant. The OP is talking about its authenticy and seems to be implying that the Church has said its authentic. The Church has not made any statement about its authenticity, i.e. the Church has not declared it to be authentic.

People are free to believe it to be real or not.

There is overwhelming evidence to support it being a medieval hoax.
There is zero evidence to support it being the burial cloth of Christ.

(and yes I have books on the Shroud, read the articles on Shroud websites, have several dvd’s about the Shroud and watched the tv documentaries on the Shroud)

There is no doubt in my mind the image was made by a camera obscura.
I didn’t mean to imply that the Church has declared the Shroud authentic. My OP was in regard to what Peter and John witenessed when they entered the tomb. St. John tells us that they did not yet know the Scripture and the Resurrection, yet they believed. I simply wondered what mad such a dramatic impact on them. I too have studied many sources on the authenticity of the Shroud and have come to believe that it is the burial cloth of our Lord. As you said, we are all free to believe or reject it’s authenticity. Even though the Church has not done anything officially, the exposition last year sure proves that the Church is doing nothing to dissuade our belief in it.
 
I didn’t mean to imply that the Church has declared the Shroud authentic. My OP was in regard to what Peter and John witenessed when they entered the tomb. St. John tells us that they did not yet know the Scripture and the Resurrection, yet they believed. I simply wondered what mad such a dramatic impact on them. I too have studied many sources on the authenticity of the Shroud and have come to believe that it is the burial cloth of our Lord. As you said, we are all free to believe or reject it’s authenticity. Even though the Church has not done anything officially, the exposition last year sure proves that the Church is doing nothing to dissuade our belief in it.
Sorry. I misunderstood.

Just for my information, in your research what evidence have you read about that leads you to believe it is genuine?
 
The Church has not made an official proclamation that the shroud is authentic for good reason. The Church being cautious and how conservative she is with regards to authenticity, one reason being that there is simply no evidence to link the shroud to the time of the apostles, much less to the passion and the resurrection. Except from the fact it was noticed from the medieval age, had been relocated, once been retrieved and partially damaged by fire, we don’t have much information as to the origin of the shroud.

Nevertheless, what happened was truly unique which even science is totally at a loss as to explain how it actually was done. For us, it can be a very powerful spiritual artifact that would stir our own faith to the reality that it depicts a long time ago.

It is not surprising at all that the late JP II prayed before it as many of us would want to, given the opportunity.

Personally, I feel that we don’t have to believe that it is authentic, and given the scarcity of information available linking it to the Jesus himself, a matter of faith to believe whether it is authentic or not, does not arise. On the other hand, our faith is obviously helped by the reality it depicts and we cannot rule out that miracle might had happened on that piece of cloth, not during the time of the passion but the time when it (imprint) happened.
 
Sorry. I misunderstood.

Just for my information, in your research what evidence have you read about that leads you to believe it is genuine?
No problem Thistle. I think Antonacci’s book had the most impact. It was a combination of evidence regarding blood testing, wound analysis, microscopic examination of the linen, and most of all the, the image analyzer used to produce the 3D relief map of the face. If I remember correctly, that can not be done on a photograph.
 
The Church has not made an official proclamation that the shroud is authentic for good reason. The Church being cautious and how conservative she is with regards to authenticity, one reason being that there is simply no evidence to link the shroud to the time of the apostles, much less to the passion and the resurrection. Except from the fact it was noticed from the medieval age, had been relocated, once been retrieved and partially damaged by fire, we don’t have much information as to the origin of the shroud.

Nevertheless, what happened was truly unique which even science is totally at a loss as to explain how it actually was done. For us, it can be a very powerful spiritual artifact that would stir our own faith to the reality that it depicts a long time ago.

It is not surprising at all that the late JP II prayed before it as many of us would want to, given the opportunity.

Personally, I feel that we don’t have to believe that it is authentic, and given the scarcity of information available linking it to the Jesus himself, a matter of faith to believe whether it is authentic or not, does not arise. On the other hand, our faith is obviously helped by the reality it depicts and we cannot rule out that miracle might had happened on that piece of cloth, not during the time of the passion but the time when it (imprint) happened.
Well said Reuben. One should never base their faith on something like the Shroud, but it can be a powerful and tangible way to focus in on the Passion of Christ. Having relatives in Rome, I have been blessed to make several visits there. Even though I know that the authenticity of many of the relics in Rome are also up for debate, It’s still hard to describe the feeling I get when I ascend the Holy Stairs, or gaze upon the Calvary relics brought back by St. Helen at Santa Croce. The Passion for me, becomes very real.
 
Well said Reuben. One should never base their faith on something like the Shroud, but it can be a powerful and tangible way to focus in on the Passion of Christ. Having relatives in Rome, I have been blessed to make several visits there. Even though I know that the authenticity of many of the relics in Rome are also up for debate, It’s still hard to describe the feeling I get when I ascend the Holy Stairs, or gaze upon the Calvary relics brought back by St. Helen at Santa Croce. The Passion for me, becomes very real.
I can identify with you there, Tony.

God bless.:hug1:
 
No problem Thistle. I think Antonacci’s book had the most impact. It was a combination of evidence regarding blood testing, wound analysis, microscopic examination of the linen, and most of all the, the image analyzer used to produce the 3D relief map of the face. If I remember correctly, that can not be done on a photograph.
It can be done using a camera obscura which was not only known in medieval times but long before that. In the latest documentary on the Shroud (I’ll try to dig up the name) how the image was produced using only technology, chemicals and other materials of the time of Da Vinci (who is the likely hoaxer) was clearly demonstrated. This process also produces the negative affect that we get with the Shroud when photographed.

As for testing the linen, all tests to date show it is no older than the middle ages. Whether Rome will allow further testing I don’t know but the cloth is not dated to 2000 years ago.
Also there is no documentary or tradition evidence prior to the middle ages.
 
It can be done using a camera obscura which was not only known in medieval times but long before that. In the latest documentary on the Shroud (I’ll try to dig up the name) how the image was produced using only technology, chemicals and other materials of the time of Da Vinci (who is the likely hoaxer) was clearly demonstrated. This process also produces the negative affect that we get with the Shroud when photographed.

As for testing the linen, all tests to date show it is no older than the middle ages. Whether Rome will allow further testing I don’t know but the cloth is not dated to 2000 years ago.
Also there is no documentary or tradition evidence prior to the middle ages.
Could that be because they used a piece from a patch that was put on in the middle ages when the shroud was burned in a fire? Have they been allowed to test an original piece of the shroud? I am just curious.
 
It can be done using a camera obscura which was not only known in medieval times but long before that. In the latest documentary on the Shroud (I’ll try to dig up the name) how the image was produced using only technology, chemicals and other materials of the time of Da Vinci (who is the likely hoaxer) was clearly demonstrated. This process also produces the negative affect that we get with the Shroud when photographed.

As for testing the linen, all tests to date show it is no older than the middle ages. Whether Rome will allow further testing I don’t know but the cloth is not dated to 2000 years ago.
Also there is no documentary or tradition evidence prior to the middle ages.
BTW, did you know about how the the blood and serum stains were formed first, with the image - which is actually superficial, caused by a discoloration of the carbohydrate layer, which in turn was caused by a chemical change, that coats the topmost fibers of the threads - being second? We know this because in areas where there was blood, no traces of images were found: they acted to inhibit the image formation.

As for camera obscura (from here):

SOUTH AFRICA: THE CAMERA OBSCURA, OPTICAL QUALITY CRYSTAL, UV RADIATION, SILVER NITRATE…AND URINE? LET US NOT FORGET THE CORPSE.

Let us not forget the Monks in Wonderland using a computer in the 12th century, either.

The event horizon of the Medieval Milieu has been badly crossed with this theory; a corpse hanging in the sun for several days at about a 15 feet distance from an optical quality quartz crystal inserted into the pinhole of a giant Camera Obscura, while inside the Camera, again at a fifteen feet distance, a 14 feet long cloth hangs evenly covered with silver nitrate. Later on, to fix the image, the cloth is washed in a 5% diluted solution of ammonia or urine. Bingo. The first photo, a giant one at that, has been made, after the corpse has been turned upside down for a repeated performance for another seven days or so, the first position matching the second one perfectly.

Again, we hear the magic words; I quote “using materials that were available in the 13th century.” Never mind that an analytical and scientific thinking was not developed yet in the 13th century capable of bringing together the following process: a camera obscura not in use in the 13th century, the classics not yet translated, chemistry not yet invented, yet knowing the exact chemical properties of silver nitrate, knowing its light sensitive properties, without any knowledge of optics or the properties of light employing a bi-convex, finely ground quartz lens, knowing the properties of UV radiation before electromagnetism was known at all, knowing how to stabilize the image by ammonia or knowing the chemical properties of urine. Knowing that some day, from the negative through photography a positive image will be achieved. But how come, that not knowing the most evident fact, that corpses do not maintain rigor mortis or that they cannot hang for 14 days in the sun, or else you would not care to see what the camera obscura would bring in onto your canvas.

I think in this experiment the Cheshire Cat truly was at work.

SCIENTIFIC DATA

The fact is, the South African study makes some other gross mistakes. The earliest lenses bi-convex in shape, where made for eyeglasses in the 14th century only. The theory of image formation by lenses was first studied by Sir Isaac Newton and Renee Descartes in the second half of the 17th century and particularly by Carl Friedrich Gauss in the 19th Century, who first introduced the idea of focal length. Giovanni Battista della Porta introduced in the 16th century the process of lens grinding and polishing which would have been absolutely necessary for the 13th century solarograph. Also in the 16th century, Daniel Barbaro of Venice mounted a convex eyeglass lens in the pinhole of a camera obscura for the first time in history to achieve a focused image on the opposite wall by bending the rays of light. The South African researcher also places the making of the Shroud-like camera obscura negative into Venice, but with a little three hundred years difference in the wrong time direction, way before the method was historically achieved.

What is even more remarkable is the mistake on this positive photograph ((http://www.shroud.com/alice58.gif)), supposedly the result of the camera obscura experiment from South Africa. The corpse or body cast was supposed to hang fourteen, fifteen days out in the all day sun. As the sun moveS across the sky from morning till evening every day, it should evenly light the corpse without any effect of a light focus (direction of light). This photo shows a very easily visible, strong, directional light focus coming from the upper left side. The photo clearly is not the result of the process described.

The Turin Shroud (right), shows absolutely no light focus (direction of light).
 
As for Leonardo, he could have been a candidate if we did not have the item below:

http://www.skepticalspectacle.com/images/medal.jpg

A pilgrim badge at the Cluny Museum in Paris, found in the Seine river under the Pont-au-Change bridge in 1855. It is related that the widow of the French knight and author Geoffroi de Charny (c. 1300?-19 September 1356), who may or may not have been a relative of Templar Geoffroy de Charney who was burned at the stake with Jacques de Molay, had a shroud displayed in a church at Lirey, France (diocese of Troyes) during the mid-14th century, where it was until Charny’s granddaughter Margaret sold this shroud in exchange for a castle in Varambon, France in 1453. This would put the possible date of this badge before that year. We can see the coat of arms of De Charny - gules, three escutcheons argent - and those of his wife, Jeanne de Vergy: gules, three cinquefoils or.

Now Leonardo was born just a year ago before Margaret sold this shroud, in April 15, 1452, miles away in the Tuscan hill town of Vinci.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top