John 6:37-44

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cruxis117
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cruxis117

Guest
I’ve been researching these passages, trying to perform a sort of “exegesis” upon them in the light of Catholic theology. I was wondering, what do you guys think these verses refer to? I’m interested in this in relation to Calvinism and their belief of “determinism”, or they call it “predestination”.
 
I’ve been researching these passages, trying to perform a sort of “exegesis” upon them in the light of Catholic theology. I was wondering, what do you guys think these verses refer to? I’m interested in this in relation to Calvinism and their belief of “determinism”, or they call it “predestination”.
Well Jn 6:35-59 is known as The Bread of Life discourse. Interpretations of this sermon often take one of two positions. Some think of the discourse as an invitation to faith, so that eating the bread of life is seen as a metaphor for believing in Jesus. Others interpret the discourse along sacramental lines, so that eating the bread of life means partaking of the Eucharist. Both of these views are true and can be correlated with a natural and symmetrical division of the sermon into two parts. (1) Invitation to faith (6:35-47). The first half of the discourse opens with the statement “I am the bread of life” (6:35). This is followed by a string of invitations to come to Jesus and believe in Him for salvation. The metaphorical import of Jesus’ teaching is so obvious that it stands out in the response of the Jews, who ask Him, not why He calls Himself bread, but how He can claim to have descended from heaven (6:42). (2) Invitation to the Eucharist (6:48-58). The second half of the discourse likewise opens with a statement “I am the bread of life” (6:48). This is followed by a string of invitations to eat the flesh of Jesus and drink His blood. Here the literal import of Jesus teaching is so obvious that it, too, stands out in the response of the Jews, who ask how it is possible to consume His flesh (6:52). In the end, these two halves of the sermon work in tandem, since without faith we cannot neither be united with Christ nor recognise His presence in the Eucharist. If eating is believing 6:35-47, then believing is eating in 6:48-58 (CCC 161, 1381).
 
Cruxis,

The passage of John 6:37-44 reads as follows:
All that the Father gives me will come to me; and him who comes to me I will not cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him who sent me; and this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up at the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that every one who sees the Son and believes in him should have eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day." The Jews then murmured at him, because he said, “I am the bread which came down from heaven.” They said, “Is not this Jesus, the son of Joseph, whose father and mother we know? How does he now say, ‘I have come down from heaven’?” Jesus answered them, "Do not murmur among yourselves. No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day.
There is a whole lot of stuff going on in the gospel of John that ties into your question. Likewise, there is a lot going on in John six itself that ties into your question. Clearly, in isolation, the passage could be interpreted by Calvinists to fit into their view of double predestination. There are, however, some problems that arise when the passage is placed in the context of the chapter as well as the rest of the gospel. In terms of John 6, itself, one needs to consider the fact that those who left after the discourse were considered disciples of Jesus. Were these disciples given to Jesus by the Father? Likewise, were they believers? Elsewhere in John’s gospel, such as at the marriage feast of Cana, it is clear that many “believed” in Jesus. Moreover, there is tons of evidence that Judas “believed” in Jesus and he did not leave after the discourse. Nevertheless, we know that things did not go well with Judas.

I have done a study on Judas that you might find helpful in terms of your question. Send me a PM if you’re interested along with your email, and I will send you the file.

God bless.
 
With respect I do not see how you can discuss Jn 6:37-44 in isolation. Surely you have to look at it in the context of Jn 6:25-59 where Jesus describes himself as the bread of life and says.
53 Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. 57 Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your ancestors ate manna and died, but whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.” 59 He said this while teaching in the synagogue in Capernaum.
 
I’ve been researching these passages, trying to perform a sort of “exegesis” upon them in the light of Catholic theology. I was wondering, what do you guys think these verses refer to? I’m interested in this in relation to Calvinism and their belief of “determinism”, or they call it “predestination”.
Read the Haydock Commentary:

haydock1859.tripod.com/id99.html
 
These verses emphasize the primacy of God in bringing people to Himself and in keeping them. Other passages would more directly approach the subject of double pre-destination such as John 12: 32. Remember, that to evaluate doctrine expects an entire biblical examination.

The Bible in a Verse

But now once at the conclusion of the ages Jesus has
appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself.
Hebrews 9: 26b
 
I saw that this was a little old, but I came here looking for an answer myself therefore I am sure others will find themselves here. I was a Calvinist about a month ago. But I have recently turned to a belief in losing ones salvation.

Anyway, you must look at everything Jesus says in the one comment:
“All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out.”

This alone sounds like “once saved always saved”. BUT keep reading:
“For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.”

The key word is “believes” which shows a constant effort. This scripture does not state once saved always saved. It just states God called you if you hold your belief until judgement.

Hope this helps anyone with confusion,
John
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top