“Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.” If we believe in the Real Presence, do these words require us to conclude that Christians who don’t belong to sacramental churches with a valid priesthood are devoid of the life of Christ? I know this conclusion (that Protestants can’t be saved) isn’t the teaching of the Church. Also, they receive the life of God (sanctifying grace) through baptism. How, then, is this verse to be interpreted? I’m the only Catholic in a Bible study on the gospel of John.
The Protestants are going to give a non-Catholic interpretation, that the Eucharistic bread is only a symbol.
The best and most thorough explanation that I have run across is a book by Dr. Brant Pitre about the Jewish Roots of the Holy Eucharist. It examines the Eucharist from just about every angle, and covers the various objections. You can look this up at
amazon.com and maybe even in the bookstore on this website.
One thing I don’t think I read in Pitre’s book is that the real presence of Christ in the Eucharist wasn’t rejected until the so-called Reformation. It was not doubted until then. Martin Luther taught a non-Catholic idea that Jesus existed along-side the bread, but the Catholic view is that the consecrated bread IS Jesus, as the words of Christ at the Last Supper testify.
I was in a non-Catholic Bible study for four years, until my very presence became an issue (other Catholics were present there). My suggestion, give it up, save yourself some time and grief. Don’t give a second thought to quitting. Get a good study bible like the Ignatius ($18) or the Navarre (around $75).
Take your time in reading and studying scripture. Sacrifice speed for quality, it is worth it.
I’ve been reading some Jewish commentaries on Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. These are lengthy works, 300 to 500 pages on each of these books. I wish I know of some commentaries on the New Testament (Catholic).