John the Baptist in the womb...

• Thread starter Thread starter MarcoPolo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MarcoPolo

Luke 1:15 And he (John the Baptist) shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother’s womb

Has anyone ever heard an ECF or theologian suppose that the moment this occurred was when he “leapt in his mother’s womb” at the sound of Mary’s voice?

Luke 1:15 And he (John the Baptist) shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother’s womb

Has anyone ever heard an ECF or theologian suppose that the moment this occurred was when he “leapt in his mother’s womb” at the sound of Mary’s voice?
I did hear a homily that linked this passage with Luke 1:41, though it was given by a parish priest, not a theologian.

No. Prophets are chosen by God before they are born, most likely at conception.

John was conceived with the original sin but he was born without it. John had to be baptized with the Holy Spirit in order to baptize Jesus and that happened in the womb. He could have not been conceived without the original sin neither the other prophets. We have only one Immaculate Conception.

John was conceived with the original sin but he was born without it…We have only one Immaculate Conception.
Right, but what I was asking is does anyone think or know of theologians or ECFs that think the moment in the womb when this outpouring of grace occurred was when he “leapt in his mother’s womb”???

Right, but what I was asking is does anyone think or know of theologians or ECFs that think the moment in the womb when this outpouring of grace occurred was when he “leapt in his mother’s womb”???
Yes, he leaped in his mother’s womb because he reacted to the Holy Spirit. I do not know of any specific theologian that says that. To me it was kind of de facto. One dumb question what does ECFs stands for?

John the Baptist was concieved with Original Sin, but had it removed during the Visitation. However, because it he at some point had it, and had it removed (as we do at Baptism) he still had to deal with its effects.

Contrast this with the Immaculate Conception of Our Lady, who had her Original Sin “removed” as it were, before she ever had it.

Also note that John’s Baptism did not have the efficacy (i.e., removal of Original Sin) as the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. This is one of the decrees of the Council of Trent.

Considering the OT prefigurement of the Messiah (a voice crying in the desert), it would be reasonable to say that God has chosen John to carry out this ministry at the beginning of time, or even before, when the Son volunteered to die for our sins.

John the Baptist was concieved with Original Sin, but had it removed during the Visitation. However, because it he at some point had it, and had it removed (as we do at Baptism) he still had to deal with its effects.

Contrast this with the Immaculate Conception of Our Lady, who had her Original Sin “removed” as it were, before she ever had it.

Also note that John’s Baptism did not have the efficacy (i.e., removal of Original Sin) as the Baptism of the Holy Spirit. This is one of the decrees of the Council of Trent.

Considering the OT prefigurement of the Messiah (a voice crying in the desert), it would be reasonable to say that God has chosen John to carry out this ministry at the beginning of time, or even before, when the Son volunteered to die for our sins.
I am sorry but the two statements appear to contradict themselves or maybe I am going through my “stupid” moment. :confused:

Yes, he leaped in his mother’s womb because he reacted to the Holy Spirit. I do not know of any specific theologian that says that. To me it was kind of de facto. One dumb question what does ECFs stands for?
Sorry. ECF is Early Church Fathers. I’d be interested to hear what one of them had to say on the Visitation incident!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back