J
JustaServant
Guest
After announcements and before the final dismissal, our priest tells a weekly joke. My question is, is this appropriate?
Are the jokes injurious to anyone or offensive in anyway? Do they make you laugh or are they really corny like some priest jokes are? If the priest has given the final blessing and says mass is over, I don’t see it as being inappropriate. A little brevity can go along way. Once as an alter server many years ago I had to serve for a wedding and I asked the priest who was getting married and he replied it was a mixed marriage; between a man and a woman! I still get a chuckle every time I think of it.After announcements and before the final dismissal, our priest tells a weekly joke. My question is, is this appropriate?
No relation to the homily. Just random, clean jokes before the final dismissal.I don’t know if it’s wrong or right, but I fail to see what the point is… does he think the congregation is there for entertainment and he feels he needs to send them out with a laugh? Does the joke tie in with the homily and therefore drives the point home in a humorous way?
I was going going to lend him a few from my preacher days, but I might be lynched.Please tell us the jokes. I could always use a little more laughter.
I only laugh when I see an undersized altar server trying to balance an oversized crucifix to the altar.Are the jokes injurious to anyone or offensive in anyway? Do they make you laugh or are they really corny like some priest jokes are? If the priest has given the final blessing and says mass is over, I don’t see it as being inappropriate. A little brevity can go along way. Once as an alter server many years ago I had to serve for a wedding and I asked the priest who was getting married and he replied it was a mixed marriage; between a man and a woman! I still get a chuckle every time I think of it.![]()
*I do find it to be inappropriate if it is habitual. My opinion only.After announcements and before the final dismissal, our priest tells a weekly joke. My question is, is this appropriate?
LOL–I hear you! I have been at such masses as well.Be grateful that the jokes are at the dismissal, and not as the lead-in to the homily - no matter how unrelated the joke is to the day, the scripture, or the topic of the homily.![]()
Perhaps Mass is one of the few times he ever sees his faithful and maybe, just maybe, he wanted to try to connect with them even momentarily on a human level?I don’t know if it’s wrong or right, but I fail to see what the point is… does he think the congregation is there for entertainment and he feels he needs to send them out with a laugh? Does the joke tie in with the homily and therefore drives the point home in a humorous way?
I don’t mind the celebrant haveing a sense of humor and using an occassional joke or anecdote or spontaneous humor given following some unexpected interuption. But a routine weekly joke is something that I would find annoying.After announcements and before the final dismissal, our priest tells a weekly joke. My question is, is this appropriate?
Last time I checked, the priest usually stands outside the door and greets people as they leave… sometimes they have coffee hours after Mass in the parish hall… those places would seem more appropriate for “connecting” with the faithful in the form of a joke.Perhaps Mass is one of the few times he ever sees his faithful and maybe, just maybe, he wanted to try to connect with them even momentarily on a human level?
Perhaps at your parish, certainly not at all. At my parish our priests are either preparing for the next Mass that immediately follows the one that let out or they are rushing to get to another parish to celebrate a Mass.Last time I checked, the priest usually stands outside the door and greets people as they leave… sometimes they have coffee hours after Mass in the parish hall… those places would seem more appropriate for “connecting” with the faithful in the form of a joke.
And if Mass is “one of the few times” he sees his parishioners, then something’s not right.
Yes and no. While there’s nothing technically wrong with it, it does seem to be rather quirky that it could be distracting. But is this really something to get upset over? Why bring it up?After announcements and before the final dismissal, our priest tells a weekly joke. My question is, is this appropriate?
It could simply be this priest’s way of making himself seem approachable to people who might otherwise be nervous about approaching a priest. Are there better ways to do this? Perhaps. But I don’t see a need to jump to conclusions that put anyone in a bad light, i.e. thinks people are there for entertainment.I don’t know if it’s wrong or right, but I fail to see what the point is… does he think the congregation is there for entertainment and he feels he needs to send them out with a laugh? Does the joke tie in with the homily and therefore drives the point home in a humorous way?
There may be “more appropriate places” but the people aren’t always in those places. Coffee hours don’t tend to attract those who would be nervous talking to a priest.Last time I checked, the priest usually stands outside the door and greets people as they leave… sometimes they have coffee hours after Mass in the parish hall… those places would seem more appropriate for “connecting” with the faithful in the form of a joke.
First of all, many biblical scholars have written that Jesus appears to have had a great sense of humor and that many 1st century peasants would have found humor in many of his parables.What was that joke that Christ told just before His Ascension? I can’t remember…
I would say that humor (not necessarily joke-telling) can serve a purpose in the homily, but I wouldn’t make a habit of it. The Mass is the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, it is not a show or entertainment or the weekly parish chit-chat gathering.
I have often told people who complain that church is too formal or stuffy that the very first Christian sermon began with an indignant denial that the speaker was drunk.I concur that occasional joke telling is a very human thing to do and is welcome.
Not to veer too off-topic: What distracts me more than joke-telling are when people are wearing sports jerseys as they prepare to go to a football game or are supporting their team. Many Catholics dedicate only one single hour to the Lord, but will spend several hours later in “worship” of their teams. Hm. That’s a misplaced spiritual modifier, there.
That said, one example comes to mind where Scripture appears to give us a bit of humor, as noted by another poster in another thread. During Pentacost, the Apostles, of course, spoke in many languages by way of a miracle of the Holy Spirit. The gathered crowd are both amazed but also skeptical. “They’ve had too much wine,” they say.
Peter dismisses the accusation in what could be taken humorously. He says, paraphrasing, “We’re not drunk, for it’s only 9 o’clock in the morning!” (Acts 2:1-15) rimshot
And what were they doing after nine, I wonder.![]()