Joshua 7:24-26

  • Thread starter Thread starter jeff417
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jeff417

Guest
I am in a bible study with both Catholics and Protestants. In the KJV Bible and the Douey Bible there is reference to Achan’s family being stoned and/or burned. In the bible I picked up for the class there is no mention of this, only than Achan himself was put to death. I am using the NAB Bible and was wondering if this translation is deficient or there is another explanation for the omission of this information.
God Bless.
 
I am in a bible study with both Catholics and Protestants. In the KJV Bible and the Douey Bible there is reference to Achan’s family being stoned and/or burned. In the bible I picked up for the class there is no mention of this, only than Achan himself was put to death. I am using the NAB Bible and was wondering if this translation is deficient or there is another explanation for the omission of this information.
God Bless.
The NAB is deficient. You would do better to use the RSV-2CE, which says ‘And Joshua said, “Why did you bring trouble on us? The Lord brings trouble on you.today.” And all Israel stoned him with stones; they burned them with fire, and stoned them with stones.’ Joshua 7:25

There is a reason for the repetition, which the NAB overlooks or left out on purpose.
 
It seems to me rather important whether Achan was stoned individually, or his entire family was stoned as well. I really don’t understand why it would be left out.
 
As near as I can tell, the Hebrew says they stoned “him.” It then says “they” were burned. “They” could mean Achan and his sons and daughters, or Achan and his ill-gotten goods. Commentators are divided over whether the sons and daughters were brought out as witnesses or as accomplices.
 
I am in a bible study with both Catholics and Protestants. In the KJV Bible and the Douey Bible there is reference to Achan’s family being stoned and/or burned. In the bible I picked up for the class there is no mention of this, only than Achan himself was put to death. I am using the NAB Bible and was wondering if this translation is deficient or there is another explanation for the omission of this information.
God Bless.
Looks like the NAB is following the Septuagint (Greek text) here instead of the Masoretic (Hebrew) text. Vulgate (Latin) follows the Hebrew text, which is why your Douay agrees to the KJV/RSV. The Hebrew text is admittedly a little awkward since they stoned HIM and burned THEM. The NAB editors should have indicated this with a footnote, IMO but I wouldn’t necessarily call it deficient–just a choice.
 
I am in a bible study with both Catholics and Protestants. In the KJV Bible and the Douey Bible there is reference to Achan’s family being stoned and/or burned. In the bible I picked up for the class there is no mention of this, only than Achan himself was put to death. I am using the NAB Bible and was wondering if this translation is deficient or there is another explanation for the omission of this information.
God Bless.
Actually, the DRV says in verse 25, “Where Josue said: Because thou hast troubled us, the Lord trouble thee this day. And all Israel stoned him: and all things that were his, were consumed with fire.” It says “…and all things that were his…”. It doesn’t say specifially the children were burnt or killed but probably included them. The Haydock Commentary says Fire. Children, as well as his other effects; though some have supposed that the former were spared, as they are not here specified. Hebrew seems to include them; “and burnt them with fire after they had stoned them with stones.” Chaldean says they were stoned first. (Calmet)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top