Joy In Heaven

  • Thread starter Thread starter The_Way
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The_Way

Guest
“I tell you, in just the same way there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people who have no need of repentance.” – Luke 15:7

What of Mary? Surely God and His angels do not find greater joy in the repentant sinner than in the Blessed Virgin?

God bless,
 
“I tell you, in just the same way there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous people who have no need of repentance.” – Luke 15:7

What of Mary? Surely God and His angels do not find greater joy in the repentant sinner than in the Blessed Virgin?

God bless,
I think I will take the Jesus’s statement at face value. Remember to keep Mary in her proper place: worthy of veneration, but still a mere creature.
 
I agree Mary has a special place. But some how I have a gut feeling telling me whatever kind of acts of penance I perform, God will always find greater joy in Mary (and rightly so! :)) which leaves the above verse quite puzzling for me…

God bless,
 
I agree Mary has a special place. But some how I have a gut feeling telling me whatever kind of acts of penance I perform, God will always find greater joy in Mary (and rightly so! :)) which leaves the above verse quite puzzling for me…

God bless,
Even though the Scriptures say otherwise? Be careful not to place too much emphasis on the Blessed Mother.
 
I am sure that the Lord delights in the always-obedient and faithful devotion of His Blessed Mother. But I think in this verse He is talking specifically about the joy that all heaven feels when a sinner repents - when anyone who was on the way to damnation is restored - because God does not want ANY of His creatures to perish. It’s like when you go to the movies - a good director builds up the tension, the possibility of disaster, because the pleasure of the happy ending is proportional to the potential for an unhappy ending that has been averted. So yes, in that sense, there is greater joy over the repentant sinner.

Your confusion comes from trying to compare apples and oranges.
 
very nice reply and perspective NHInsider.

We always have to put things in perspective and rely on the teachings of the Church.

Take care.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top