C
Crumpy
Guest
The question arises where a committed person should start reading the Bible. The often-given advice is to start with the gospel of John, for ease and comprehension.
Some say, if you start with the Old Testament, it would make a thinking person Jewish. For over two years now, I’ve been reading Jewish commentaries, which I have documented in various threads.
Old Testament Judaism and even modern Judaism is very rich, thoughtful, revolutionary, inspiring, etc. It fulfills 1 Tim 3:15, that it is inspired and useful for teaching and admonition, etc. The Church, in modern times, acts like the explanation of the transition from OT to NT has not been fully explored. See, The Jewish People and their Scriptures, Pontifical Biblical Commission (at the EWTN website, document library).
I’m trying to get to the point of saying that OT Judaism is not complete – that’s what all of Christians believe, that Judaism is not complete. Being a non-academic person, I’m trying to organize this and find the right way to express it.
For example, while the OT is about Jews and Jerusalem, that does not seem to be the end-all and be-all of the OT – a national religion. It seems that the selection of Israel as the chosen people was not final, but transitional at best. The true trajectory of the OT, if one were honest, is global.
On the other hand, it is the non-nationalistic religion of Christianity, the trans-global religion of Christianity, that validates it as the true revelation of God’s salvation plan. (And, it might be said quickly, it – God’s salvation plan-- didn’t need the later development of Islam to be complete. There is no more “submission” to God than a body needs than to submit to Jesus, and to do all He commanded. )
By means of a very imperfect analogy, I’d describe Judaism as the Stage One of a rocket going into earth orbit, providing the initial “lift” but itself not able to achieve “orbit.” And, we Christians acknowledge and love that “lift” but have to recognize that it had its purpose and usefulness, and that Judaism – in isolation --is now history. It is in Jesus and Jesus alone, that we achieve the “orbit” or the “heights” to which God has given us. “Orbit” is well and good while we are alive, but Jesus gives us the “lift” on our final trajectory to “infinity” – God and heaven. [analogy ended]
I love to read the Jewish commentaries and a couple books on Jewish spirituality, but I run into this “glass ceiling” [another metaphor] of Judaism, that they’re still the number one Chosen People. The rest of us gentiles are, to them, hardly on the radar screen, if at all. While acknowledging that we ALL are made in the image and likeness of God, they’re the only ones that are saved, and they have to keep their distance from us, to keep from getting contaminated. I could be very wrong, but I suspect that non-devout Jews are simply those who find the same thing lacking in Judaism. These views are deeply personal and certainly offensive to some, but I find nothing else to explain how we Christians got where we are and where we hope to be.
[tree analogy] We never forget our “roots” in the OT, and can hardly afford to do so (as Benedict XVI points out in the introduction to the document referenced above). We have to disagree with modern Judaism, but only respectfully and lovingly so.
As attractive and sensible and holy as Judaism is, at its best still is, Christians have something that is more attractive, more sensitive, and more holy. Because it is God’s will.
Maybe somebody has already said this better, but non-academic me doesn’t know where it is.
Some say, if you start with the Old Testament, it would make a thinking person Jewish. For over two years now, I’ve been reading Jewish commentaries, which I have documented in various threads.
Old Testament Judaism and even modern Judaism is very rich, thoughtful, revolutionary, inspiring, etc. It fulfills 1 Tim 3:15, that it is inspired and useful for teaching and admonition, etc. The Church, in modern times, acts like the explanation of the transition from OT to NT has not been fully explored. See, The Jewish People and their Scriptures, Pontifical Biblical Commission (at the EWTN website, document library).
I’m trying to get to the point of saying that OT Judaism is not complete – that’s what all of Christians believe, that Judaism is not complete. Being a non-academic person, I’m trying to organize this and find the right way to express it.
For example, while the OT is about Jews and Jerusalem, that does not seem to be the end-all and be-all of the OT – a national religion. It seems that the selection of Israel as the chosen people was not final, but transitional at best. The true trajectory of the OT, if one were honest, is global.
On the other hand, it is the non-nationalistic religion of Christianity, the trans-global religion of Christianity, that validates it as the true revelation of God’s salvation plan. (And, it might be said quickly, it – God’s salvation plan-- didn’t need the later development of Islam to be complete. There is no more “submission” to God than a body needs than to submit to Jesus, and to do all He commanded. )
By means of a very imperfect analogy, I’d describe Judaism as the Stage One of a rocket going into earth orbit, providing the initial “lift” but itself not able to achieve “orbit.” And, we Christians acknowledge and love that “lift” but have to recognize that it had its purpose and usefulness, and that Judaism – in isolation --is now history. It is in Jesus and Jesus alone, that we achieve the “orbit” or the “heights” to which God has given us. “Orbit” is well and good while we are alive, but Jesus gives us the “lift” on our final trajectory to “infinity” – God and heaven. [analogy ended]
I love to read the Jewish commentaries and a couple books on Jewish spirituality, but I run into this “glass ceiling” [another metaphor] of Judaism, that they’re still the number one Chosen People. The rest of us gentiles are, to them, hardly on the radar screen, if at all. While acknowledging that we ALL are made in the image and likeness of God, they’re the only ones that are saved, and they have to keep their distance from us, to keep from getting contaminated. I could be very wrong, but I suspect that non-devout Jews are simply those who find the same thing lacking in Judaism. These views are deeply personal and certainly offensive to some, but I find nothing else to explain how we Christians got where we are and where we hope to be.
[tree analogy] We never forget our “roots” in the OT, and can hardly afford to do so (as Benedict XVI points out in the introduction to the document referenced above). We have to disagree with modern Judaism, but only respectfully and lovingly so.
As attractive and sensible and holy as Judaism is, at its best still is, Christians have something that is more attractive, more sensitive, and more holy. Because it is God’s will.
Maybe somebody has already said this better, but non-academic me doesn’t know where it is.