Judas' role in salvation history

• Thread starter Thread starter ThomasMT
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It makes no difference that Satan knew or not, we all do what we have to do.

We are all God’s builders and God is the Architect and the designer of the universe.

God’s omnipotent providence exercises a complete and perfect control over all events that happen, or will happen, in the universe.”
GOD DESIGNED, DECREED, PREORDAINED EVERY EVENT FROM ALL ETERNITY which events He tailor-made to everyone of us includes every angels, Satan, Judas, etc.
Of course, we all perform our building works by virtue of love (maybe not all the time) and by free will as follows.

CCC 2022; The divine initiative (supernatural intervention of God in the faculties of the soul) in the work of grace precedes, prepares, and elicits the free response of man. – We can but we never resist God’s graces.
St. Augustine on Grace and Predestination

I.(1) On human interaction with grace: Every good work, even good will, is the work of God.
De gratia Christi 25, 26: “For not only has God given us our ability and helps it, but He even works [brings about] willing and acting in us; not that we do not will or that we do not act, but that without His help we neither will anything good nor do it”
De gratia et libero arbitrio 16, 32: “It is certain that we will when we will; but He brings it about that we will good … . It is certain that we act when we act, but He brings it about that we act , providing most effective powers to the will.”
Aquinas said, "God changes the will without forcing it . But he can change the will from the fact that he himself operates in the will as he does in nature,” De Veritatis 22:9. 31. ST I-II:112:3. 32. Gaudium et Spes 22; "being …
CCC 308 The truth that God is at work in all the actions of his creatures is inseparable from faith in God the Creator.
God is the first cause who operates in and through secondary causes:
For God is at work in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.
Far from diminishing the creature’s dignity, this truth enhances it.
CCC 307 God thus enables men to be intelligent and free, causes in order to complete the work of creation, … Though often unconscious collaborators with God’s will.
St. Thomas (C. G., II, xxviii) if God’s purpose were made dependent on the foreseen free act of any creature, God would thereby sacrifice His own freedom, and would submit Himself to His creatures, thus abdicating His essential supremacy–a thing which is, of course, utterly inconceivable.
God bless

Last edited:
40.png
Dan_Defender:
Probably because Satan can’t help himself.
I’d like to think that as well.
Those in the throes of rage often can’t. I’ve known quite a number of people who do things they know they will regret when they are angry or hurt. They know it won’t make things better, yet that’s not enough to make them stop themselves.

I think the best way of understanding the devil’s mindset is that he is in a perpetual tantrum. He knows he is wrong but he is still lashing out like a wounded animal.
40.png
Dan_Defender:
In my book, he is not smart.
A very dangerous assumption to make.
You know the line in 1 Corinthians about how God’s greatest foolishness is wiser than man’s greatest wisdom? The devil isn’t on God’s level, but he is presumably possessed of much more wisdom (or at least intelligence) than man. I think it is reasonable to think that even in his flailing tantrum he is still capable of moves that look like those of a master chess player, not because he has thought things out but because even his most facepalming moves are pretty intricate. How much more fearsome he would be if he could actually make coherent plans.

Interesting discussion!

Planning evil is, in itself, evil. God is incapable of doing evil, so He did not plan for Judas to be the betrayer.

However, God does allow evil to be done by others. And, after the evil is committed, He uses the tragic outcome for good.

The death of His Son by the hands of man was evil. But, the death of His Son allowed for his resurrection, and ultimately for our means of salvation.

If it had not been Judas, it would have been someone else. If it had not happened in Roman occupied Palestine, the method of death would have been different. But, the end result in the Economy of Salvation would have been the same.

John Duns Scotus noted that even had man not fallen, the incarnation would have come to pass, because of God’s love for his creation and his desire to walk with man.

If you really want to dig deeper, I highly recommend the following books:

Scotus for Dunces; An Introduction to the Subtle Doctor by Mary Beth Ingham

The Place of Judas Iscariot in Christology by Anthony Cane

But was he not possessed? Is it not something that satan encouraged, in the least?

But was he not possessed? Is it not something that satan encouraged, in the least?
Since he had it all arranged already before supper, how could Judas be in a state of grace when the following occurred?

John 13
27 And after the morsel, Satan entered into him. And Jesus said to him: That which thou dost, do quickly.
Haydock Commentary, Verse 27
Satan entered into him, who presently went out with great anger and indignation. It was then night, likely about nine o’clock. (Witham)
That which thou dost, do quickly. It is not a license, much less a command, to go about his treason: but a signification to him, that Christ would not hinder or resist what he was about, do it as soon as he pleased: but was both ready, and desirous to suffer for our redemption. (Challoner)
— Christ does not by these words exhort the traitor, much less command him, to perform his wicked deed; but he means to reprobate it, and at the same time testify that he would not hinder his being betrayed. (St. John Chrysostom, hom. lxxi. in Joan.)
— It is the voice not of command, but of permission, not of a person in fear, but of one prepared for death. (St. Leo)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back