Just ate chicken help!

• Thread starter Thread starter ellam25
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ellam25

I made chicken nuggets for my 4 year old daughters lunch and I snacked on the couple pieces she didn’t eat…didn’t even think about it until later and I gasped oh no haha. In a normal Lenten situation what should I do? (I understand that some bishops said the fast can be lifted due to the coronavirus, but still) I was hoping to fast from meat on Fridays even in spite of the situation.

For a sin to be a sin one must do the grave matter with full consent of the will. It would seem you did not do that,
Be at peace!

That is correct. She did not deliberately eat it…just forgot it was Friday.

(I understand that some bishops said the fast can be lifted due to the coronavirus, but still) I was hoping to fast from meat on Fridays even in spite of the situation.
And if your bishop is one of them: “but still” nothing – Offer up the anxiety of your dashed hope and move on.
2️⃣ ©️ ©️

Is the help of a priest needed when someone inadvertently eats a chicken nugget? I think not.

I made chicken nuggets for my 4 year old daughters lunch and I snacked on the couple pieces she didn’t eat…didn’t even think about it until later and I gasped oh no haha. In a normal Lenten situation what should I do? (I understand that some bishops said the fast can be lifted due to the coronavirus, but still) I was hoping to fast from meat on Fridays even in spite of the situation.
You committed no sin whatsoever. You forgot.

If your bishop has dispensed you, there is no issue. Even if he has not dispensed you, you are still fine. Once more: you forgot.

Living in a secular society that does not have constant reminders of Friday abstinence doesn’t help anything either.

@1Lord1Faith If the op is scrupulous, a reasonable and reassuring word from a priest has more weight than the words of 100 strangers.

Last edited:
I’ll bet if you read the ingredients on the chicken nuggets you’ll find you ate very little meat 🙂

I once accidentally had a bite of meat when eating egg rolls. However, I know many fast food places have some special Lenten meatless food items (fish anyone?)

Same thing happened to me and my wife last week. Took two bites of Bojangles chicken then realized it was Friday. Promptly went to Wendy’s for a Codfish sandwich and saved the chicken for Saturday.

Last edited:
For a sin to be a sin one must do the grave matter with full consent of the will. It would seem you did not do that,
I did the same thing last Friday – totally lost track of what day it was (easy to do when retired), and ate a sloppy joe sandwich for lunch. Mentioned it at Confession the next day, and Father said not to be concerned; no actual consent of the will.

D

It was an accident. I’ve done it before, myself. You can give up something tomorrow or do some other act of penance to make up for it if you want, but it’s not required. Try not to let it weigh on your mind anymore.

If the OP is scrupulous, avoiding posting on the internet altogether is far better than the entirety of this thread were we all priests.

Last edited:
I can top that and raise you: THREE Fridays IN A ROW, I forgot what day it was and inadvertently ate meat.
Aaargh!
This week I set an hourly alarm to remind me it was a Friday of Lent.
Worked like a charm!!!

Last edited:
Unless your Orthodox / Eastern Catholic in which case fish is also forbidden… every day of Lent and every Wednesday and Friday throughout the year!

Make up for it by praying the rosary or making the Stations of the Cross.

Very human; no sin here.

We have to assent to; that is to some degree intend to sin even venally.

Lent is about growing closer to God; so maybe say a rosary, or some other spiritually good act.

God Bless you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back