Just ate chicken help!

• Thread starter Thread starter ellam25
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sorry, people, I just don’t get this.

So, so many things that are included in a proper consideration of the devout life — the Ten Commandments, the Beatitudes, the life-giving Sacraments, the clear teachings of the magisterium on issues of faith and morals, and so on — and people worry about whether they committed a sin, if they forgot, totally, just plumb forgot, and accidentally ate meat on a Friday of Lent.

I respect the devoutness and the sensus catholicus that makes this a worrisome thing among faithful Catholics, but I think it’s absolutely over-the-top, especially considering that there is no free will, no volition, no conscious decision to sin here. Maybe it’s because I wasn’t raised in a Catholic home. I don’t know.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was more disappointed than anything. Ironically, I’m not even a big fan of meat!
😁

You know, in regular times I would not have said you are a horrid person but I would wonder why this happens to people every year and lament the fact that if we just abstained every Friday this wouldn’t be a problem so much.
But then enter our current world. This last Friday after two weeks of being kept away from Mass, after working from home trying to keep my entire family safe, assured, and fed. It didn’t dawn on me until 1130 in the morning that it was even Friday, or that we have days of the week at all! Luckily I hadn’t eaten any meat yet. But for the first time, I get it, I really do.

You know, in regular times I would not have said you are a horrid person but I would wonder why this happens to people every year and lament the fact that if we just abstained every Friday this wouldn’t be a problem so much.
But then enter our current world. This last Friday after two weeks of being kept away from Mass, after working from home trying to keep my entire family safe, assured, and fed. It didn’t dawn on me until 1130 in the morning that it was even Friday, or that we have days of the week at all! Luckily I hadn’t eaten any meat yet. But for the first time, I get it, I really do.
I don’t think forgetting what day it is makes anyone a horrid person. If we all lived in small, rural Catholic villages as though it were 200 years ago, it would be pretty difficult to forget Fridays or Sundays. Sadly, though, we don’t, and not all people are temperamentally suited to live in villages, everybody is different, there have been cities for thousands of years.

From my many years of adhering to corporate schedules and school calendars, I find it very difficult to forget the day of the week. Not everyone has that mindset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back