Just thought of a great idea! Monasteries inside Prison Grounds

• Thread starter Thread starter Madaglan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
This idea seems a little strange to me, and raises questions about formation of those who would enter the monastary, and you would have to have a “superior” or “general” or something, and other monks that were not inmates to run the monastary. I don’t think this would work.

I think there would be prisoners that would abuse the system. As well, how many Catholics that are in prison would join the monastary.

It is a new and interesting concept, but I don’t think you’d see too many monks volunteering to run this.

Take it to your local bishop, see what he thinks.

just saw a great movie on DSS called We’re No Angels, with Robert DiNiro and Sean Penn as escaped convicts trying to get over the bridge to Canada, while the posse is hunting them with dogs. they hide out in a monastery, disguised as priests. When after a heroic redemptive act they are free to go on their way, Penn decides to stay in the monastery, and from the dialogue has come to understand the similarities and differences between prison for a crime and freely submitting to the enclosed, rule-driven life of the monastery.

I had some extra time so I googled IFI and here’s the link:

ifiprison.org/

IFI came to Ellsworth Correctional Facility while I was in prison in Hutchinson. They came to all the prisons trying to get guys to go. You had to go through a 6 week bible studyt first to be considered. I started it, but didn’t finish. They are very fundamental in some area’s of belief. It would not have been a Catholic Friendly or even tolerant atmosphere. I was still developing, as I am now, my faith and didn’t find it prudent to continue.

To address some of the questions that have been asked,
  1. Legal problems - It is already up in other states as a protestant program. One can be developed for Catholics.
  2. People joining for the wrong reasons. IFI fixed that with several “innovations”, NO TV, this is a killer for most people. They still have to work, and most of their free time is spent studying, in fellowship, with a mentor etc. Visits are limited at first as well as phone calls. If anyone thinks that people would join for the wrong reasons, they trully have no idea what it is like to be inside prison. Hypothetically, even if they did - maybe it would catch on. Many people go to chruch for the wrong reason, i.e. b/c of their spouse, and then come to know Christ and go for the right reason, i.e. to praise Him and receive Him! Praise be to God!!!
What is lacking is a group of men and women, and the resources necessary to embark on such a adventure. Prisons are always willing to try something new, especially if it doesn’t costs them anyting and there is a possible reduction in the recidivism rate.

40.png
AlanFromWichita:
For myself, it isn’t a problem because I don’t believe people should be locked up because we are mad at them, but because we are afraid of them. I wish I could counsel crime victims who come to parole hearings and vent anger and insist that they or their relatives suffered and the prisoner should be made to suffer. They need to get over their feelings of revenge and get some healing.

Alan
People aren’t locked up because we are mad at them… They are locked up because they broke the law… And, trust me, most judges look at the whole picture before sentencing them.

Being a Victim Advocate for 9 years now Alan I don’t think it is anyones place to say what a victims families feelings should be, or that they should get over anything. Until any of us are in their shoes it is not our place to judge. There is counseling avaliable for them, my program pays for it… I push it. I am only comfortable with them speaking to someone they are comfortable with… In other words I have had some people have people like you talk to them, and let me say I truly believe your intentions are very good… But, this has turned them off to God. They need to reach out for God and towards forgiveness when they are ready. I also feel the need to say that those victims and families that have God in their life seem to do the best.

As for the OP, although I don’t think it is a bad idea, I don’t know how realistic it is. I would also back it more if it was the prisoners who came up with the idea. Not some well intentioned people who aren’t in prison.

Michael C:
It’s apparent from the postings in this thread you’re all good people and have good intentions but I think prison needs to be a deterrent. If someone really feels passionate about commiting a crime he might think if he’s convicted he’ll go the “Monastary” route. Just something to think about. Peace.
Let me just open by asking how many of you have read much about the Faith Based Programs that are springing up in prisons all over the country? The statistics say that guys who complete these programs are less likely to reoffend…this by itself is a good thing since it costs this country some 30 BILLION dollars a year (& climbing!!!) to run all it’s prisons. Most of the Catholic guys that I write to would love such a program…sadly MOST are run by Fundie groups & target our guys for evangelism…which is a problem. I also think that we ALL need to review Jesus’ words about reconcilliation. We tend to act as if no believer ever sins, yet that is patently not true, as shown from the nature of every epistle in the NT. One thing I have discovered is that human beings are prone to sin & if we fail to forgive we will in turn not be forgiven by the Lord.
Most of the Catholic prisoners I know would be greatly happy just to have an RCIA there and to be able to go to regular confessions & participate at Mass every Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back