Justice Sunday fallout

• Thread starter Thread starter Peter_Atlanta
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peter_Atlanta

Highview baptist Church, louisville, KY clearly violated the rules of their tax exempt status by hosting the politicla event Justice Sunday. They should have their tax exempt status revoked.

Tax-exempt status merely prevents churches from actively campaigning for or against a specific candidate or party, but they can still speak out for or against a specific issue. Since there isn’t a Congressional election this year, it’s hard to argue that the event was intended as a political campaign. From what I can gather (hint: check more sources than the editorial pages of liberal newspapers), the event was organized as a protest against what they saw as persecution of judical nominees with certain values.

40.png
Peter_Atlanta:
Highview baptist Church, louisville, KY clearly violated the rules of their tax exempt status by hosting the politicla event Justice Sunday. They should have their tax exempt status revoked.
As far as I’m concerned, good churches of God should throw their tax exempt status out the window to battle the immoral culture.

In any event, even under existing laws, churches have every right to talk about issues of the day. They just can explicitly favor one candidate over another. The fact that the Catholic Church has been incredibly complacent in this area does not mean that the inaction reflect the law. Most of it is cowardice and unfaithfulness.

I wondered about the tax exempt/political activity rules. Around here, certain Protestant churches are very active on behalf of the democratic party. They host speakers, have voter registration drives, advertise they will take people to vote, etc. It’s very clear which party they favor and no one ever seems to say anything about it. I understand this is not at all uncommon, that it happens around the country. In light of that, how can a Catholic church having a speaker during non election time lose its tax exempt status? And why is it being brought up? Because a Catholic church is doing it or because the repbublican party may benefit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back