Kay Arthur

  • Thread starter Thread starter maber43
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

maber43

Guest
I would like to know if it’s okay for any Catholic to watch Kay Arthur’s Bible study program? She is a Protestant.
 
I checked out the website, and she seems to be an ordinary Protestant, teaching that the Bible is the only rule of faith, and that salvation is by grace apart from works.

But just because someone’s doctrinal statement seems to be mainstream doesn’t mean their teachings really are. I’ve seen some fairly standard doctrinal statements in front of some truly off-the-wall beliefs.

You’d be better off with this online Catholic Bible study.

YSIC,

Ruthie
 
I would like to know if it’s okay for any Catholic to watch Kay Arthur’s Bible study program? She is a Protestant.
Hi!

…my experience with ecumenism has been:
  • no Catholic can lead the Bible Study
  • the Catholics are wrong
  • you need to leave the Catholic Church
  • once I did the sign of the Cross, we are not here to promote doctrinal teachings… the Catholic Church is in error and we need to pray for them… but I am we are not here to…
  • Catholics are not really Christians
  • the Roman Catholic Church is not the true Christian Church founded by Christ–the Roman Catholic Church was the religion of the Roman Empire and the true Christian Church had to go underground (for nearly 1500 years)…
  • there are only 66 books in the Canon
  • the Catholic Church has added stuff/books to the Bible
  • the Catholic Church does not teach anything about the Bible they simply do repetitious prayers
…I could go on… I did not include the Jehovah Witnesses views but theirs is even deeper entrenched into anti-Catholicism then most…

I suggest to you that familiarize yourself with your Faith before you start exchanging studies with others–just look at the presidential elections… so many “Catholics” supported the candidates that were most spoken against Catholic values and thanks to their ignorance we will soon have (as it is claimed) a homosexual bishop directing the “religious” affair of the “one nation under God.”

Maran atha!

Angel
 
Hi. I like Kay Arthur, too. You are just talking about her radio program, not being in a class with Protestants, right?

I think Protestant teaching can be very helpful for some things if you have a certain distance and know where you disagree with them on doctrine and understand why.

If you were in a class with them, then unfortunately there is an excellent chance you will experience what jcrichton experienced. He gave a really good oversight of what to expect:(
 
Hi. I like Kay Arthur, too. You are just talking about her radio program, not being in a class with Protestants, right?

I think Protestant teaching can be very helpful for some things if you have a certain distance and know where you disagree with them on doctrine and understand why.

If you were in a class with them, then unfortunately there is an excellent chance you will experience what jcrichton experienced. He gave a really good oversight of what to expect:(
I was only watching her tv program, Precepts For Life, she only talking or teaching about the bible and she said every Christian should be reading the bible.whether you are a Catholic or a Protestant. Yes, I know my faith but I wish we had more priests would give us bible study just like Fr Pawca on EWTN.
 
I checked out the website, and she seems to be an ordinary Protestant, teaching that the Bible is the only rule of faith, and that salvation is by grace apart from works.

But just because someone’s doctrinal statement seems to be mainstream doesn’t mean their teachings really are. I’ve seen some fairly standard doctrinal statements in front of some truly off-the-wall beliefs.

You’d be better off with this online Catholic Bible study.

YSIC,

Ruthie
Thanks Ruthie! God bless!
 
Why bother? Don’t you get EWTN?

My deciding factor is that though we can watch stuff like this, should we?

Look at the links below and tell me that we can’t do a lot better. 🙂
Catholic Home Study Service

Catechism of the Catholic Church

Biblical Evidence For Catholicism

Scripture Catholic

San Juan Catholic Seminars

The Bible Christian Society

The Holy See - Archive - Documents of the II Vatican Council

So…what do you think? 🙂
Thanks Church Militant for the links! I will check them out. I am just hungry for God’s Word. I know my faith and I am a convert to the faith since 1966.

God bless you!
Melvin
 
Hi!

…my experience with ecumenism has been:
  • no Catholic can lead the Bible Study
  • the Catholics are wrong
  • you need to leave the Catholic Church
  • once I did the sign of the Cross, we are not here to promote doctrinal teachings… the Catholic Church is in error and we need to pray for them… but I am we are not here to…
  • Catholics are not really Christians
  • the Roman Catholic Church is not the true Christian Church founded by Christ–the Roman Catholic Church was the religion of the Roman Empire and the true Christian Church had to go underground (for nearly 1500 years)…
  • there are only 66 books in the Canon
  • the Catholic Church has added stuff/books to the Bible
  • the Catholic Church does not teach anything about the Bible they simply do repetitious prayers
…I could go on… I did not include the Jehovah Witnesses views but theirs is even deeper entrenched into anti-Catholicism then most…

I suggest to you that familiarize yourself with your Faith before you start exchanging studies with others–just look at the presidential elections… so many “Catholics” supported the candidates that were most spoken against Catholic values and thanks to their ignorance we will soon have (as it is claimed) a homosexual bishop directing the “religious” affair of the “one nation under God.”

Maran atha!

Angel
Thanks Angel, yes, I’ve heard those made by Protestant and I just don’t listen to their error. I am just hungry for Bible Study but Church Militant gave me the links for Catholic Bible Study. I wish EWTN would have more of these studies like Fr Pawca teaching on St Paul. I really enjoyed his program.

God bless you!
Melvin
 
Hello There,

When it comes to watching people on TV, bible studies, etc. I always pray and believe God to show me the right shows and books to read. This way, I get the most out of my study/devotion time. Remember, Proverbs 3:5-6 says trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, but in all your ways acknowledge him,and he will make your paths straight.

In other words, I would be believing God, not by your understanding, but by His understanding on what you need to learn:)

God Bless
 
Thanks Church Militant for the links! I will check them out. I am just hungry for God’s Word. I know my faith and I am a convert to the faith since 1966.

God bless you!
Melvin
Good for you! Remember what Our Lord tells us.

Matthew 5:6 Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after justice: for they shall have their fill.
 
Hello There,

When it comes to watching people on TV, bible studies, etc. I always pray and believe God to show me the right shows and books to read. This way, I get the most out of my study/devotion time. Remember, Proverbs 3:5-6 says trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not
on your own understanding, but in all your ways acknowledge him,and he will make your paths straight.

In other words, I would be believing God, not by your understanding, but by His understanding on what you need to learn:)

God BlessAnd a faithful Catholic will have no problem with that at all, at all.:shamrock2:

However, in general, n-C preachers and teachers do not have anywhere near the depth to their preaching and teaching that Catholic clergy do. I suggest that you take a careful look at the Catechism of the Catholic Church (Example) and note the depth of Bible study there, as well as references to the writings of the early church.

When was the last time that you heard your preacher speak about the Lord’s Supper not only from the New Testament but with reference to the earliest writings of the Christians who received the Gospel from an actual apostle to show how they tie in and affirm the scriptures? You can find an article on that here.
Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum.
 
Thanks Angel, yes, I’ve heard those made by Protestant and I just don’t listen to their error. I am just hungry for Bible Study but Church Militant gave me the links for Catholic Bible Study. I wish EWTN would have more of these studies like Fr Pawca teaching on St Paul. I really enjoyed his program.

God bless you!
Melvin
Hi, Melvin!

…I am glad that you are strong enough to stop the error from creating doubt in you. It is wonderful to know that you’ve come home and have never looked back!

Fr Pawca (I am really bad with names) is he the one from “Threshold of Hope?” If it is, I agree with you–he has a very deep understanding of our Faith and he uses an excellent format (very pleasant, come across as a big brother rather than a Priest, and he connects Judaism (OT) quite well with the NT); I think that you are right; EWTN has the resources to produce a greater number of in-depth Scritpures-based programs… I would love to see the old Priest with the Crucifix do a 90 min. program on Faith and Scriptures; and that young-looking priest from Life on the Rock… I envision him as the most soft-spoken apologist that could bring the Scriptures to the youth…

Maran atha!

Angel
 
Remember also my friends that it always behooves us to take the time for reading the Bible on our own and for personal study of our most holy faith. That’s why courses like those from CHSS and San Juan Catholic Seminars are so great. They give us the resources to actually sit down and study what we believe and why, and that is important because only then can we properly share our faith with those we love and our friends and so build up the Church.

Catechesis is also our responsibility along with holy living.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum
 
Remember also my friends that it always behooves us to take the time for reading the Bible on our own and for personal study of our most holy faith. That’s why courses like those from CHSS and San Juan Catholic Seminars are so great. They give us the resources to actually sit down and study what we believe and why, and that is important because only then can we properly share our faith with those we love and our friends and so build up the Church.

Catechesis is also our responsibility along with holy living.

Pax Domini sit semper vobiscum
*Hi, Church Militant!

I agree with you completely! …studying the Holy Scriptures must be a constant exercise if we are to truly own our Faith!

Maran atha!

Angel*
 
Thanks Angel, yes, I’ve heard those made by Protestant and I just don’t listen to their error. I am just hungry for Bible Study but Church Militant gave me the links for Catholic Bible Study. I wish EWTN would have more of these studies like Fr Pawca teaching on St Paul. I really enjoyed his program.

God bless you!
Melvin
I love Fr Pawca bible studies too, wish they would have more of his teaching…I want Catholic Bible study only! 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top