Kent Hovind vs. the Catholic Church

• Thread starter Thread starter ribozyme
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ribozyme

I most certainly do not believe in the Catechism, but Kent Hovind said that the Catechism says that we will become God. I thought Mormons only believed in that. Of course, I do not believe this, but here is the claim.

youtube.com/watch?v=lVaHUK0Kqxc

It is on 5:55 - 6:15 on the video.

2 Peter 1:4 By whom he hath given us most great and precious promises: that by these you may be made partakers of the divine nature: flying the corruption of that concupiscence which is in the world.

When the Catechism quotes one of the saints saying “God became man so that man might become god” it is referring to this process of deification–that is, of partaking in the Divine nature. 👍

It is important to note that this is not the same meaning as the Mormonic meaning, and is an Apostolic teaching as I just found out.

The Church means, not that we will become God, but we will become gods, in the sense that we will partake in divine nature, not ever will we be equal to God. I suggest you read the Catehchism itself, before listening to others.

I most certainly do not believe in the Catechism, but Kent Hovind said that the Catechism says that we will become God. I thought Mormons only believed in that. Of course, I do not believe this, but here is the claim.

youtube.com/watch?v=lVaHUK0Kqxc

It is on 5:55 - 6:15 on the video.
Hah! Surely you don’t believe anything Hovind says about the Church any more than you believe what he says about science, right?

Peace

Tim

Hah! Surely you don’t believe anything Hovind says about the Church any more than you believe what he says about science, right?

Peace

Tim
I do not believe in Kent Hovind’s “science”. I was skeptical of his assertion about the Catholic Church.

I was simply bored, that is why I am watching it.

Look – whether you are a Catholic or a Protestant, Kent Hovind should have no credibility with you whatsoever.

Frankly, he’s losing the little credibility he has – even with the other Young Earth Creationist Fundamentalists.

He’s a kook – and (as seems to be more and more likely) a crook.

<< What was that supposed to mean? Since he knows little about evolution, he knows less about the Catholic Church? >>

You got it. I repeat: Kent Hovind knows WAY MORE about geology, biology, astronomy and physics than he does Catholic doctrine. 😃

The “man become God” quote in the Catechism (from St. Athanasius and others) is standard Catholic doctrine called "divinization" or Theosis in the east. But Kent Hovind does not know that because he knows way more about evolution. :rolleyes:

Phil P

<< What was that supposed to mean? Since he knows little about evolution, he knows less about the Catholic Church? >>

You got it. I repeat: Kent Hovind knows WAY MORE about geology, biology, astronomy and physics than he does Catholic doctrine. 😃

The “man become God” quote in the Catechism (from St. Athanasius and others) is standard Catholic doctrine called "divinization" or Theosis in the east. But Kent Hovind does not know that because he knows way more about evolution. :rolleyes:

Phil P
he also apparently thinks that he is a standup commedian

2 Peter 1:4 By whom he hath given us most great and precious promises: that by these you may be made partakers of the divine nature: flying the corruption of that concupiscence which is in the world.

When the Catechism quotes one of the saints saying “God became man so that man might become god” it is referring to this process of deification–that is, of partaking in the Divine nature. 👍

**All the same, that sort of nonsense about “becoming God” :mad: 😦 😦 is asking for trouble. **Man is not God; he’s not even properly human.​

**All the same, that sort of nonsense about “becoming God” :mad: 😦 😦 is asking for trouble. **Man is not God; he’s not even properly human.​

You are correct that man is not God and also that as fallen humans we are not properly human. But, through God becoming man, we now have the potential to not simply be raised up to our original state, but also even higher–as the Scriptures say, we literally will partake of the divine nature. What do you think it means to eternally partake of the divine nature? Yes, since God is infinite we will never be raised to His level, but according to the Eastern fathers, we will continually be ascending toward that point.

This teaching that men becomes God, is it infallible, a doctrine or a dogma? It sounds to me somehow pretentious at least, so I was wondering if I am “legally” allowed to reject this teaching and still call myself Catholic? I mean, I know that the catechism per se is not infallible, so there could be an error in it?
How about other Catholics, do they think that they will become God? Is this teaching something that every Catholic should believe in?

This teaching that men becomes God, is it infallible, a doctrine or a dogma? It sounds to me somehow pretentious at least, so I was wondering if I am “legally” allowed to reject this teaching and still call myself Catholic? I mean, I know that the catechism per se is not infallible, so there could be an error in it?
How about other Catholics, do they think that they will become God? Is this teaching something that every Catholic should believe in?
As you have described it (following the OP), that is not Catholic teaching. However, properly understood, man’s divinization is very much Catholic doctrine. Please read the link given in post #5 for a good explanation of the Catholic understanding of theosis. Also, a thorough read of the works of St. John of the Cross would help you discover the great gift we have received through our Baptism into Christ Jesus…

I have been waiting for this day for a long time. Tomorrow, Kent Hovind will be sentenced for tax evasion.

Well, he wasn’t too friendly to science or the teachings of the Catholic Church.

pensacolanewsjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070119/NEWS01/701190332/1006
Pensacola evangelist Kent Hovind was sentenced Friday afternoon to 10 years in prison on charges of tax fraud.
After a lengthy sentencing hearing that last 5 1/2 hours, U.S. District Judge Casey Rodgers ordered Hovind also:
– Pay $640,000 in restitution to the Internal Revenue Service.
– Pay the prosecution?s court costs of $7,078.
– Serve three years parole once he is released from prison.
Hovind?s wife, Jo Hovind, also was scheduled to be sentenced. Rodgers postponed her sentencing until March 1 to allow her defense attorney an opportunity to argue possible discrepancies in sentencing guidelines.
Prior to his sentencing, a tearful Kent Hovind, also known as “Dr. Dino” asked for the court?s leniency.
?If it?s just money the IRS wants, there are thousands of people out there who will help pay the money they want so I can go back out there and preach,? Hovind said.
Hovind, founder of Creation Science Evangelism and Dinosaur Adventure Land in Pensacola, was found guilty in November of 58 federal counts, including failure to pay $845,000 in employee-related taxes. He faced a maximum of 288 years in prison.

I guess he won’t be speaking at my church anymore for a while.

I had checked out a video of Kent Hovind about evolution from the library,. Besides his view’s of the geological record of the Grand Canyon which I found quite novel, he made a statement which caught my ear.
Somehow he was talking about the civil war, and with a wink of the eye, he called it “Lincolns War”. Now with this information about tax evasion, it confirms my suspicions about his view of the role of government, and taxation. It makes sense now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back