Killing animals and the commandment to not kill

  • Thread starter Thread starter sidetrack
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sidetrack

Guest
I am curious to know if the Church has any teachings about killing animals.Does it conflict with the commandment “Thou shall not kill”?.I dont mean destroying ecosystems like rainforests,hunting or fishing but I mean like killing small animals (whether on purpose or by accident) such as ants,flies,coachroaches,worms,snails etc.I am guessing that everyone at one point in there lives has either by accident or on purpose killed such animals.Personally I am remember how especially when I was younger I purposely killed such animals and now deeply regret it.I guess this might be an ethics question for someone who is like an exterminator as well.I thank anyone who answers this appreciate it.
 
I am curious to know if the Church has any teachings about killing animals.Does it conflict with the commandment “Thou shall not kill”?.I dont mean destroying ecosystems like rainforests,hunting or fishing but I mean like killing small animals (whether on purpose or by accident) such as ants,flies,coachroaches,worms,snails etc.I am guessing that everyone at one point in there lives has either by accident or on purpose killed such animals.Personally I am remember how especially when I was younger I purposely killed such animals and now deeply regret it.I guess this might be an ethics question for someone who is like an exterminator as well.I thank anyone who answers this appreciate it.
no killing of animals doesn’t conflict with the commandment. God gave man dominion over other creatures
 
no killing of animals doesn’t conflict with the commandment. God gave man dominion over other creatures
Agreed. The prohibition against murder isn’t applicable here at all - it plainly deals with killing other human beings, and Scripture never uses it to describe killing animals. God even calls for animal sacrifice in the Old Testament, so clearly, it’s not forbidden.

What is implicated, as Melechesidechpio noted, are the related notions of “dominion over animals” and “stewardship of the Earth.” These concepts entail responsibilities as well as rights. We have the right to take what we need or what is edifying from nature, but we shouldn’t be cruel to animals, wantonly destructive of the earth, etc. We should treat the Earth, including animals, like a gift from God. Use but don’t abuse.
 
I am curious to know if the Church has any teachings about killing animals.Does it conflict with the commandment “Thou shall not kill”?.I dont mean destroying ecosystems like rainforests,hunting or fishing but I mean like killing small animals (whether on purpose or by accident) such as ants,flies,coachroaches,worms,snails etc.I am guessing that everyone at one point in there lives has either by accident or on purpose killed such animals.Personally I am remember how especially when I was younger I purposely killed such animals and now deeply regret it.I guess this might be an ethics question for someone who is like an exterminator as well.I thank anyone who answers this appreciate it.
Destroying ecosystems doesn’t violate the commandment against murder, but what it is is the deadly sin of Greed. No one decimates entire ecosystems if not for greed. So its a sin nonetheless to do such widespread killing.
 
In the Catechism of the Catholic Church (2418), not causing animals to suffer or die needlessly falls under the “You shall not steal” commandment.
 
Animals are part of the food chain.

We eat them.

Some of them eat us.
 
Creatures/insects like rats and mosquitos should be totally exterminated from the entire planet. They only bring disease and death to humans. They serve no useful purpose and such creatures would not be missed if they went extinct!
 
Creatures/insects like rats and mosquitos should be totally exterminated from the entire planet. They only bring disease and death to humans. They serve no useful purpose and such creatures would not be missed if they went extinct!
You are speaking out of ignorance. If their purpose is unknown does not mean they lack one.
 
Creatures/insects like rats and mosquitos should be totally exterminated from the entire planet. They only bring disease and death to humans. They serve no useful purpose and such creatures would not be missed if they went extinct!
Wow. I mean… really… I’m normally not so blunt in a counterpoint. But this is one of the stupidest things I’ve ever read.

Especially considering…
In the Catechism of the Catholic Church (2418), not causing animals to suffer or die needlessly falls under the “You shall not steal” commandment.
Take the moral aspect out of the question and just consider what might happen to the ecosystem if an entire family of animals disappeared. Or take away anything that has the ability to spread disease for that matter… the world is already considered to be overpopulated. Start eliminating ways in which we can die and consider what would happen. Less available land with more people trying to occupy it leading to more fighting and consequently wars break out.

Yea… I’m sure that’s what God wants.
 
Wow. I mean… really… I’m normally not so blunt in a counterpoint. But this is one of the stupidest things I’ve ever read.

Especially considering…

Take the moral aspect out of the question and just consider what might happen to the ecosystem if an entire family of animals disappeared. Or take away anything that has the ability to spread disease for that matter… the world is already considered to be overpopulated. Start eliminating ways in which we can die and consider what would happen. Less available land with more people trying to occupy it leading to more fighting and consequently wars break out.

Yea… I’m sure that’s what God wants.
So maybe you can tell the families of the millions who die from malaria every year its a stuipd idea to exterminate all mosquitos!!

Please tell me then what will happen to the ecosystem if the disease carrying rats and mosquitos are all exterminated.

The purpose of rats and mosquitos is not unknown. They have no purpose.

To quote the catechism about not allowing animals to needlessly suffer, how does that apply to killing rats and mosquitos. Your contention is ridiculous and not relevant.

To think the world is overpopulated shows how ignorant you are. The world is NOT overpopulated. You could fit the entire 6 billion people physically into the state of Texas. The problem is not overpopulation (and it never will be). The problem is inequitable distribution of resources by the rich countries and the corruption and mismangement by the governments of the poorer countries.
 
Creatures/insects like rats and mosquitos should be totally exterminated from the entire planet. They only bring disease and death to humans. They serve no useful purpose and such creatures would not be missed if they went extinct!
What are mosquitoes good for? Mosquitos also serve another purpose, one which has made them one of our least-favorite insects. They spread viruses and bacteria between hosts. Mosquitos are thought of in medical circles as a disease vector, but from an ecological viewpoint bacteria and viruses are also living creatures, and therefore part of the ecosystem. Without mosquitos, many of these organisms would die out. While we may fervently wish this could happen, these diseases also serve a purpose in the ecosystem, by culling weaker animals and strengthening the survivor’s natural resistance to these illnesses. With strong resistance or tolerance for some of these organisms, the interaction becomes more mutual and less threatening to both.

While you may gladly slap the mosquito that lands on your arm to bite, or install the bug zapper in hopes of clearing at least your tiki lounge of their noxious buzzing, remember that large-scale eradication of the mosquito not only dooms many other species to hunger, but can also pollute the environment.

Are you saying that God made a mistake when creating mosquitoes (and rats etc.)?
I know you do not intend to imply that you could have done it better.
Possibly you do not understand the cycle of life which is an integral part His grand design?
 
What are mosquitoes good for? Mosquitos also serve another purpose, one which has made them one of our least-favorite insects. They spread viruses and bacteria between hosts. Mosquitos are thought of in medical circles as a disease vector, but from an ecological viewpoint bacteria and viruses are also living creatures, and therefore part of the ecosystem. Without mosquitos, many of these organisms would die out. While we may fervently wish this could happen, these diseases also serve a purpose in the ecosystem, by culling weaker animals and strengthening the survivor’s natural resistance to these illnesses. With strong resistance or tolerance for some of these organisms, the interaction becomes more mutual and less threatening to both.

While you may gladly slap the mosquito that lands on your arm to bite, or install the bug zapper in hopes of clearing at least your tiki lounge of their noxious buzzing, remember that large-scale eradication of the mosquito not only dooms many other species to hunger, but can also pollute the environment.

**Are you saying that God made a mistake when creating mosquitoes (and rats etc.)? **I know you do not intend to imply that you could have done it better.
Possibly you do not understand the cycle of life which is an integral part His grand design?
God gave us dominion over all creatures. He allows us to kill animals for food, clothing, and domestic help. He also allows us to use them for medical and scientific experiments for better health care for humans.
For anyone then to say we should not be doing any of that they are contradicting God.

Exterminating disease carrying animals and insects will benefit humans.
 
Do mosquitos have a purpose?
Of course they do. Believe it or not, and as annoying as some creatures can be, everything in this world… both plant and animal serve a very valuable purpose. It all goes back to the food chain and when you take something out be it a producer, consumer or decomposer the chain will collapse and life will die.
In the case of mosquitos there are many animals, mainly bats that rely on them greatly for food. Some species of bats can eat over 500 of them an hour. One could argue then why not take out mosquitos and bats, bats as well serve just as important of a role if not more so than mosquitos. Some even help to pollenate plants just as bees and some birds do.
Aside from bats many aquatic species that also rely on them for a food source due to the fact that mosquitos are laid, hatched and semi-raised in water.
As tiny as they might be they also pollenate some plants.
Nonetheless when push comes to shove they might be annoying but we would miss them greatly due to the amount of food chains that would collapse and species of plant and animal that would be forced into extinction.
If you are bothered by them in your area there are several things you can do. Make sure you have no standing water around in buckets, pools, trash, etc. Not only is it a dangerous place that can harbor disease but it is the perfect environment for mosquitos to lay eggs and for the little ones to grow up. You can also build bat boxes if you live in a wooded area. The boxes will draw in bats (duh) and the bats will feed off of the mosquitos and other pests in the area. And do not worry about rabies with bats, they can carry them but out of the billions of bats that live on this planet less than 1% is a carrier.
Rats
In the ecology, they act as scavengers. They are not there to serve humans, but their position on the trophic ladder is important.
With regard to laboratory use, their metabolic systems are virtually identical to humans. Thus, when a drug is tested it is frequently tested on rats.
 
I am curious to know if the Church has any teachings about killing animals.Does it conflict with the commandment “Thou shall not kill”?.I dont mean destroying ecosystems like rainforests,hunting or fishing but I mean like killing small animals (whether on purpose or by accident) such as ants,flies,coachroaches,worms,snails etc.I am guessing that everyone at one point in there lives has either by accident or on purpose killed such animals.Personally I am remember how especially when I was younger I purposely killed such animals and now deeply regret it.I guess this might be an ethics question for someone who is like an exterminator as well.I thank anyone who answers this appreciate it.
There are quite a few killings on animals in Scripture. Considering the number of sacrifices to God and how the blood of the animal is to be spread etc. or the killing of the lamb at Passover from the day that it happened in Egypt to every modern celebration.
You find how Isaac was given a dish by both of his sons (Esau first, then Jacob) and it was meat. The Lord also made clear which animals He wanted His people to consume and which not.
Looking at the disputes among the apostles it is clear that they too ate meat.

We are to take care of God’s creation and that is what is included in ruling over it. We should not abuse or overuse it. We can however kill animals.
When it comes to insects, spiders and other nice animals, I guess I do what I can to defend my health and my home.
Concerning mosquitoes, I will try to get them before they get me and then I hope that the remainder finds my husband… He doesn’t get itchy bumps.
Flies & Co. sit down everywhere and especially on stuff I don’t want anywhere near my food. My health is more important to me than the life of a fly. I don’t go after them to kill evey single fly, but I will go after the ones that go after me or my stuff…
 
There are also lice on the backs of rats that give us cholera and other fatal diseases.

And there are viruses that give us polio and other fatal diseases.
 
Exterminating disease carrying animals and insects will benefit humans.
In your previous post you wrote more strongly that mosquitoes (along with rats etc)
  • should be exterminated from the whole planet
  • only bring disease and death
  • serve no useful purpose and would not be missed if extinct
You are wrong. They do serve a useful purpose in the cycle of life and would be sorely missed if extinct. (What are mosquitoes good for? )
That they now pose excessive problems to mankind is a direct result of our actions. We do what we (think we) want by putting up buildings wherever we want with no thought for how it affects the animal habitats. So we eliminate places for birds and bats. They are best at controlling mosquito populations. And we create more and more pockets of stagnant water giving homes to the mosquitoes.

Your answer is to do more of what we have been doing for centuries - yet you expect a different result. That is Einstein’s definition of insanity. If you eliminate these creatures you don’t like - other creatures you don’t like will now be “top of the food chain”. And so you have to make something else extinct.

As to dominion over animals - God gave us the responsibility to take care of them.
He will judge us accordingly.
 
I am curious to know if the Church has any teachings about killing animals.Does it conflict with the commandment “Thou shall not kill”?.I dont mean destroying ecosystems like rainforests,hunting or fishing but I mean like killing small animals (whether on purpose or by accident) such as ants,flies,coachroaches,worms,snails etc.I am guessing that everyone at one point in there lives has either by accident or on purpose killed such animals.Personally I am remember how especially when I was younger I purposely killed such animals and now deeply regret it.I guess this might be an ethics question for someone who is like an exterminator as well.I thank anyone who answers this appreciate it.
The commandment in the original language is more akin to “Thou shalt not murder.”

Animals in the OT and the NT are killed for sacrifice and for food. The killing of animals for mere sport is wasteful and cruel. Extermination of insects can be justified where the insects pose a danger to one’s home, crops, etc.
 
I am curious to know if the Church has any teachings about killing animals.Does it conflict with the commandment “Thou shall not kill”?.I dont mean destroying ecosystems like rainforests,hunting or fishing but I mean like killing small animals (whether on purpose or by accident) such as ants,flies,coachroaches,worms,snails etc.I am guessing that everyone at one point in there lives has either by accident or on purpose killed such animals.Personally I am remember how especially when I was younger I purposely killed such animals and now deeply regret it.I guess this might be an ethics question for someone who is like an exterminator as well.I thank anyone who answers this appreciate it.
Of course not sidetrack. In the OT God Himself orders animal sacrifices. Christ Himself ordered fish be hauled aboard the boat (to die).
 
Creatures/insects like rats and mosquitos should be totally exterminated from the entire planet. They only bring disease and death to humans. They serve no useful purpose and such creatures would not be missed if they went extinct!
They probably have some important purpose thistle, ask the biologists, so we would leave a few. However, if God gave us permission to exterminate creatures, here is my choice: monkeys, seals of all kinds and Kangaroos, useless big grass eating rats in my view. Any more for the list?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top