Killing evil people - When is it justified?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeFreedom

I recently wrote online that there are certain evil people who are doing such evil to the world (mass murder, etc.) that they needed to die. I felt wrong about it, so I confessed it. My confessor tried to help explain it to me, but 3 minutes in the confessional is not really the best place to fully understand such a complicated and nuanced topic (in my mind).

First of all, there are plenty of passages in the old testament that the prophets, and Israelites talk about asking God to crush and destroy their enemies, and I’m fairly sure that means they are hoping that God kill their enemies.

The American founding fathers knew that England was oppressing people, their rights and freedoms, and doing great evil (not anywhere near what is happening today - for those of you awake enough to see what is really going on), and they went both on the offensive (and defensive) to kill the King’s men.

What makes either of these things above justified? Clearly, asking God to smite they enemy was done in the bible, and it is believed that our country’s founding was divinely inspired. However, there are satanically evil men today who are running the world and doing many active things to cull the population through various methods (or in better terms, they are mass murdering people, but just not in the way most people recognize, like guns and tanks wars, but through more subtle means). That does not mean they are not purposefully, with premeditation, killing millions, and possibly billions of people. I am not going to go into specifics of this right now, of who or how, but those with any sense of open eyes knows what I mean.

I was told by the priest the only way I can defend myself is someone points a gun to my head. Then it’s justified. But how and why is it not justified to during this war we are in (yes, these evil people have declared war - just not the guns type), to want to stop the other side from killing millions of people?

I just don’t understand.

Do you have a catechism? If not, it is online. Check paragraphs in the 2250 series and onward, as they deal with human life and defense.
In short, we are never justified in killing another human being. In lawful defense against an immediate lethal threat, we may use lethal force, but with the intent of stopping the threat. This assumes that the aggressor may be dealt a fatal blow, but only as an unintended consequence of the lawful defense.

Last edited:
There is also the doctrine of a “just war” which is explained in the catechism as well, in paragraph 2309:
2309 The strict conditions for legitimate defense by military force require rigorous consideration. The gravity of such a decision makes it subject to rigorous conditions of moral legitimacy. At one and the same time:
  • the damage inflicted by the aggressor on the nation or community of nations must be lasting, grave, and certain;
  • all other means of putting an end to it must have been shown to be impractical or ineffective;
  • there must be serious prospects of success;
  • the use of arms must not produce evils and disorders graver than the evil to be eliminated. The power of modern means of destruction weighs very heavily in evaluating this condition.
These are the traditional elements enumerated in what is called the “just war” doctrine.

The evaluation of these conditions for moral legitimacy belongs to the prudential judgment of those who have responsibility for the common good.

Last edited:
I guess I’m doing a very poor job of explaining what I’m trying to convey. There are very powerful people who are using active tactics to murder us, and our current government and military is part of the deep state, which is waging war on people. When it is justified to defend ourselves?

No one can predict the future, so no one can answer truthfully. I pray. That is the domain which the Lord has granted me. For tomorrow to be a problem, I first must wake up tomorrow.

I have been watching the direction of politics since the late 60s and have seen the steady progression. The progression is progressing. Will our Lord return before push comes to shove?

Therefore, I pray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back