King James Deuterocanon

  • Thread starter Thread starter LoyalViews
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LoyalViews

Guest
The Douay-Rheims version of the Holy Bible, my favourite, is not easily availably around here. But, what IS, is the King James Bible with the Deuterocanon. Would it be permissible to use the KJV for now until I can get a Douay-Rheims? The RSV-CE is available here too, but the price tag is humongous! (It’s a limied edition or something. The only RSV-CE I could find).
There are other Catholic bibles around, like the NRSV, and the New Jerusalem, but I much rather the “thee, thou, hath, doth, and est’s” of the Douay-Rheims, so would it be permissible to us the KJV with the Deuterocanon for now?

Thank you in advance if I don’t get a chance to respond to each of your posts!
God Bless:signofcross::byzsoc:
 
The Douay-Rheims version of the Holy Bible, my favourite, is not easily availably around here. But, what IS, is the King James Bible with the Deuterocanon. Would it be permissible to use the KJV for now until I can get a Douay-Rheims? The RSV-CE is available here too, but the price tag is humongous! (It’s a limied edition or something. The only RSV-CE I could find).
There are other Catholic bibles around, like the NRSV, and the New Jerusalem, but I much rather the “thee, thou, hath, doth, and est’s” of the Douay-Rheims, so would it be permissible to us the KJV with the Deuterocanon for now?

Thank you in advance if I don’t get a chance to respond to each of your posts!
God Bless:signofcross::byzsoc:
Yes you can use it for private study.
 
For personal use there really isn’t any rule about which translation you use. Though if the issue is cost of locally available versions and you really want a Douay-Rheims you could try ordering one online.

Also if you have a kindle, or have been considering getting a kindle, then Douay-Rheims isn’t under copyright anymore (I don’t even know if it ever was) so you can get an electronic copy for free.
 
There’s lots of online sources for the Catholic translations that you need that are actually pretty reasonable.
ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51NH3D3THBL.SL135.jpg
Catholic Bible-RSV
Press Ignatius
Hardcover
-]$31.95/-] $19.19

ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51M4iptQNUL.SL135.jpg
Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New…
Curtis Mitch, Scott Hahn
Paperback
-]$24.95/-] $15.39
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31YqsmL35oL.SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA115.jpg
The Holy Bible : DOUAY-RHEIMS VERSION by Translation of Latin Vulgate and Revised by Bishop Challoner (Paperback - Jul 31, 2009)
Buy new: -]$29.95/-] $19.77
 
I was pleasantly surprised how cheap my leatherbound NABRE was off of Amazon!
 
I use my KJV with Apocrypha as my standard personal/spiritual reading Bible. I don’t consider myself a homogeneous Catholic, though. Regardless, I think the KJV is a beautiful translation - much more beautiful than either the DR or RSV - and also more accurate - at least, more accurate than the DR. The DR is also quite anti-Semitic in places.
 
I use my KJV with Apocrypha as my standard personal/spiritual reading Bible. I don’t consider myself a homogeneous Catholic, though. Regardless, I think the KJV is a beautiful translation - much more beautiful than either the DR or RSV - and also more accurate - at least, more accurate than the DR. The DR is also quite anti-Semitic in places.
How is the Douay anti-Semitic? It is the most accurate of all English language Bibles and its translation was guided by the Holy Ghost. The KJV is regarded even by Protestant theologians to contain well over 30 000 errors, and the only accurate portions of it were those taken directly from the DR.

Loyal Views, we Catholics have traditionally been forbidden to keep Protestant scripture, and the KJB is unfortunately Protestant. And trust me, the Douay is worth the wait!
 
The annotations in the original 1582-1610 Douai-Rheims are frequently anti-Semitic. Challoner’s revision removed many (but not all) of these notes, and later versions (such as the 1899 edition) removed still more (but not all).
 
The annotations in the original 1582-1610 Douai-Rheims are frequently anti-Semitic. Challoner’s revision removed many (but not all) of these notes, and later versions (such as the 1899 edition) removed still more (but not all).
Ok then, what specifically is so anti-Semitic, I have read much of the Douay and have not found anything anti-Semitic. So please, just one or two examples. Even then wouldn’t your issue be with the commentaries of the theologians instead of the Bible translation itself?
 
Ok then, what specifically is so anti-Semitic, I have read much of the Douay and have not found anything anti-Semitic. So please, just one or two examples. Even then wouldn’t your issue be with the commentaries of the theologians instead of the Bible translation itself?
Here are a few examples from the 1899 edition – I found them by opening pages at random – there are many, may more:

Note to Gen 27:19 “the carnal Jews”

Note to Isa 64:6 “we pretended to make ourselves just … particulary of the sacrifices, sacraments, and ceremonies of the Jews”

Note to Matt 3:7 “for the most part notorious hypocrites”

Note to John 9:39: “the Jews, by abuse of his coming, and by their not receiving him, brought upon themselves this judgment of blindness”

Note to Apoc (Rev) 8:3 “by theses locusts understand … especially those heretics that sprung from the Jews”
 
How is the Douay anti-Semitic? It is the most accurate of all English language Bibles and its translation was guided by the Holy Ghost. The KJV is regarded even by Protestant theologians to contain well over 30 000 errors, and the only accurate portions of it were those taken directly from the DR.

Loyal Views, we Catholics have traditionally been forbidden to keep Protestant scripture, and the KJB is unfortunately Protestant. And trust me, the Douay is worth the wait!
It is worth the wait, I have settled on using the Douay-Rheims 😃
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top