King James Onlyism?

• Thread starter Thread starter YHWH_Christ
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
But… it was skilfully crafted by Protestants with Protestant theology in mind and it can sometimes be quite insidious.
The really insideous biases are always those of your own generation:

the biases, mostly unintentional, embedded or assumed in Catholic and Protestant translations of your own lifetime.

They are insideous because they have the same preoccupation and blind spots we ourselves are prone to.

Last edited:
There is a similar subset in the Catholic Church, called the Douay–Rheims only movement, which has similar views of the Douay Rheims Bible as the only valid translation.
If someone wanted to undermine Shakespeare, they would point out “there’s a crackpot group that says (only) he was divinely inspired.”

This wouldn’t reduce the value of Shakespeare in reality but might diminish his value in opinion of some readers.

I wouldn’t want to be found supporting KJV-onlyism, but it does seem to raise a question. If God ensured, by inspiring the authors, that the Bible is inerrant, as many Christians believe, why shouldn’t He ensure, by inspiring the translators, that a particular translation of the Bible is inerrant?

I wouldn’t want to be found supporting KJV-onlyism, but it does seem to raise a question. If God ensured, by inspiring the authors, that the Bible is inerrant, as many Christians believe, why shouldn’t He ensure, by inspiring the translators, that a particular translation of the Bible is inerrant?
Well, which translators? And which authors? We have differing versions of the texts, both in Greek (and Hebrew) and in the languages into which Scripture has been translated. If one believes that one of those is inerrantly inspired by God, which one is it, and why that one?

Well, which translators? And which authors? We have differing versions of the texts, both in Greek (and Hebrew) and in the languages into which Scripture has been translated. If one believes that one of those is inerrantly inspired by God, which one is it, and why that one?
Oh I see the practical problem, but that is merely a matter of practicality. Our difficulty in discerning which translation is inspired is our problem, it doesn’t affect the truth of the matter (if truth there be).

40.png
PickyPicky:
Language changes over time, so there can’t be a perfect translation. Some (Isaac Asimov?) argue English has not changed much since that era because the KJV and Shakespeare are so good we don’t want to lose sight of them. 🙂

The Catholic view is that the Magisterium is needed to discern which imperfect translation is appropriate to a given generation, and for that matter which books belong in the canon.

Last edited:
Yes, the famous rollerblading monk! He also did the New Jerusalem Bible. He wrote some good textbooks for a series that was designed to cover the various papers that made up the A-level syllabus. Possibly published by the Christian Education Trust - it’s a long time ago now… I don’t think they were specifically Catholic. I’m fairly certain that at least one volume was written by an Anglican priest who was chaplain of the King’s School, Rochester.

What do you guys think about this Protestant movement?
That it’s leaving a few fruitcakes without any crunch?
as well as among some Mormons.
those would be the folks whose “ancient” texts have direct quotes from a translation into a language that wouldn’t exist for another millennium? It’s not like they have much choice . . .

And there’s also the issue as to which version of KJV, as they don’t tend to use the original . . .

Actually there is a remarkable similiarity
I CUT MY TEETH on the KJV and memorized
many verses of it as a young man. When the
NIV(New International Version) was distributed
among the students at a \university I attended
I meticulously verified that it is saying the SAME
things!!

Actually there is a remarkable similiarity
I CUT MY TEETH on the KJV and memorized
many verses of it as a young man. When the
NIV(New International Version) was distributed
among the students at a \university I attended
I meticulously verified that it is saying the SAME
things!!
You likely were able to compare the two without having the written KJV on hand, because it is so memorable.

How much of NIV specific wording is now or will ever become part of Western heritage?

I meticulously verified that it (NIV) is saying the SAME
things (as KJV)!!
Well others have been meticulous also and see some biased variances.

Yes, you and I can read both texts and see them thru our already preconceived lense, and say they seem to be alike.

Last edited:
I STILL read the KJV Schofield Translation with newer
English words in the subsript of the verses. It is the Bible
that an Anglican friend of mine gave me before his passing.
I don’t mind other translations like Jerusalem Bible or the
NASB or NIV or even Dougay-Reimes which some on this
Forum swear by. It’s MY trusted source of the Scriptures!!

Last edited:
What do you guys think about this Protestant movement? It’s mostly found among the Fundamentalist Baptists but apparently also among some traditionalist Anglican and Methodist groups as well as among some Mormons. They believe the KJV Bible is the only true English Bible and that all other English Bibles are fundamentally corrupt, they often argue the superiority of the textus receptus tradition over other textual traditions of the Bible.
In the words of the Baptist pastor of a very small church in my home county - “I want the bible just like Jesus had it - the King James version.”

He said this publicly. Repeatedly. Sincerely.

I howled with laughter every time. . . .

Last edited:
What do you guys think about this Protestant movement?
Like most Protestants they mean well but I think 85% of Catholics would agree that the “KJV only” movement is misguided and loaded with theological problems.

In the words of the Baptist pastor of a very small church in my home county - “I want the bible just like Jesus had it - the King James version.”
Was he just saying that for effect, or did he really believe it was the literal truth? And if so, was he an ordained Baptist minister? Had he been through seminary? What did they teach them there about history?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back