King James Version

• Thread starter Thread starter Cotton
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cotton

Several Catholic versions of the bible English indicate they are based on the King James Version. Can anyone help explain, in detail, this process. My vague understanding is most Catholic versions are based on the Latin, thanks to St. Jerome, taken from the Hebrew; but the King James English version is taken direct from the Hebrew to English. Any and all help appreciated

Thanks for your help!.

cc 🙂

40.png
Cotton:
Several Catholic versions of the bible English indicate they are based on the King James Version. Can anyone help explain, in detail, this process.
Never heard that take on English translation before. Now the Douay-Rheims Bible is in the same English as the KJV, but it was translated and printed several years before the KJV.
My vague understanding is most Catholic versions are based on the Latin, thanks to St. Jerome, taken from the Hebrew;
Yes, that is true of the D-R.
but the King James English version is taken direct from the Hebrew to English.
Thanks for your help!.
Doubt if you mean Hebrew, but maybe Greek. And not all of the manuscripts were available, so some use of prior English and Latin also helped to fill out certain parts.

Kotton 🙂

If you want an excellent explanation of the history behind the Authorized Version, go to www.newavent.org and query Authorized Version.

Pax Christi

I think the preceding posts are definitive in answering this. The KJV is a protestant Bible.

Catholic bibles are derived from St. Jerome’s latin bible which is referred to as the Vulgate. The Latin was convenient both for worship and for study, so everybody was “on the same page” although I bet they didn’t use that expression back then. If my high school Latin came back to me, I could say “on the same page” in Latin. best guess: in ipsa tabula

Alternately, modern Catholic Bibles are translated from the original languages or “scrupulously compared to the original” languages as they like to say.

Last winter I paid $99.95 for a two volume Douay - Rhiems Bible.

It was translated from the Vulgate (Latin) and was first published in Rhiems in 1582.

The Douay - Rhiems IS NOT EXACTLY the same as King James’ Bible. I have read there are 130 deletions/changes in just the New Testament. Our Catholic Douay- Rhiems Bible has ( I think) 7 more Books in the Old Testament. The Protestant KJV was edited by the Kings men back in England.👍

40.png
Exporter:
I have read there are 130 deletions/changes in just the New Testament. Our Catholic Douay- Rhiems Bible has ( I think) 7 more Books in the Old Testament. The Protestant KJV was edited by the Kings men back in England.👍
Howdy !!
Code:
I know of the 7 books of the old testament removed and the word 'alone' being added after 'faith' by Luther.

Where online can I find a list of all differences between the New American Bible and, say, the KJV?

Thanks!
michel

Actually the translators for the King James Bible used the Douay-Rheims Bible as a guide in certain places.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back