Kneeling During Consecration

  • Thread starter Thread starter SummerSmiles
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SummerSmiles

Guest
I just have a quick question for you all regarding kneeling during the consecration. I recently joined the church choir. During the consecration all but the front row of the choir kneels, because the front row does not have kneelers, and most of the ladies in the front row are older and not able to kneel on the concrete. I have been placed in the front row, and I am young and able-bodied. I feel like I should be kneeling during the consecration. I’m wondering if it’s more important that I kneel during the consecration, or if I should have the same posture as the rest of the choir members, for uniformity?
 
If everyone else in the whole church is kneeling because they have a kneeler, I wonder if it would be possible somehow to bring some sort of soft mats, cushions, rugs, etc that the front row of the choir could use? Maybe someone could donate something?
 
Our choir is set up that same way, and I too usually end up in the front. I always kneel. I’m not big on sticking out, but the rest of the congrgation is kneeling and the rest of the choir is kneeling and I am physically capable of knelling, so I do. The only exception to this is huge masses, like christmas, when we are squished in there so tight kneeling is pretty much impossible. 🤷
 
If everyone else in the whole church is kneeling because they have a kneeler, I wonder if it would be possible somehow to bring some sort of soft mats, cushions, rugs, etc that the front row of the choir could use? Maybe someone could donate something?
Knights of Columbus to the rescue! 😛

No seriously, ask your local council. Theyd probably raise money for new kneelers.

My Council (I mysel am a Knight), our Council does that type of stuff all the time. 👍
 
I was taught to kneel during the Consecration, but if I’m in a church that doesn’t have kneelers, I’m not able to kneel on a hard floor, and find it difficult to get back up in the narrow space without making a specticle of myself. If you are able-bodied, and can kneel on the floor, by all means do so. You can tell the others in the front pew that your age and physicality make it possible, and that you can do so gracefully without drawing attention to yourself. I can’t imagine anyone having a problem with that. God bless
 
I just have a quick question for you all regarding kneeling during the consecration. I recently joined the church choir. During the consecration all but the front row of the choir kneels, because the front row does not have kneelers, and most of the ladies in the front row are older and not able to kneel on the concrete. I have been placed in the front row, and I am young and able-bodied. I feel like I should be kneeling during the consecration. I’m wondering if it’s more important that I kneel during the consecration, or if I should have the same posture as the rest of the choir members, for uniformity?
Your feelings are correct: if it is possible for you to kneel, you need to kneel. There is really no argument for uniformity. The church asks us to kneel (btw, lack of kneelers is not always an impediment), and we should do so.
 
I was taught to kneel during the Consecration, but if I’m in a church that doesn’t have kneelers, I’m not able to kneel on a hard floor, and find it difficult to get back up in the narrow space without making a specticle of myself. If you are able-bodied, and can kneel on the floor, by all means do so.
There was a time when churches didn’t even have pews, let alone kneelers! I for one am thankful that we have someplace to sit during Mass.

Personally, I find it easier to kneel on the floor – unless it’s one of those slick, slidey floors where I can’t get any traction.
 
Our choir uses the choir loft and yes, we kneel. Only a couple of months now and we’ll have a once a month Extraordinary Form Mass on Sunday afternoon. we are practicing Gregorian Chant for then.
 
I also do kneel during the Consecration. Our chaplain told in his blog that this is what we in the parish i attend and in general should be a lot more observant on doing.

I`m glad he brought it up, as i was unaware of it until then (yes, im a catholic convert learning from day to day).
 
If you can kneel, kneel. Shoot, half the time I’m in the back of the cry room holding 30lbs of feisty toddler, and I kneel on the floor while people around me choose not to (and they HAVE kneelers!). Why? Because no matter where we are in the church building, and no matter what Mr. Grumpyface is doing next to us, that’s still Our Lord up there being offered up for us. Every time.

As a side note, how about investing in a stack of garden knee-pads? They’re cheap, and it sure beats concrete!
 
Thanks for all the responses.

Regarding the kneelers, we are getting some new ones in our church by the end of the summer! 😃 But it still wouldn’t solve the front row’s problem of not having one. It’s just the way the church is set up. The entire front row doesn’t have anything in front of them. It’s just a bench and then empty space.

The garden knee-pads or pillows would be a nice thing to have! I think that starting on Sunday I’ll be kneeling during the consecration again. I’m actually looking forward to it. I felt kind of guilty not kneeling last week. 😊
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top