Kumbaya?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mozier
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kumbaya is just so much easier to say than On Eagles Wings… and there is no difference in quality, musically or theologically.
 
\I actually remember the song “Whatsoever You Do” and “Let There Be Peace On Earth” a lot more, the politically incorrect versions that used “to the least of my brothers” and “brothers all are we”, respectively.\

**I was at a politically correct gathering when after singing, “Let there be peace on earth,” the leader said to singing it again, changing things to “mother” and “sisters” so the women wouldn’t feel left out.

I hobbled up to him on my crutches–I was suffering a bad attack of gout–and I asked him what all this able-ist talk about walking was. I told him I felt left out.

He just gave me a puzzled look.**
 
Kumbaya is just so much easier to say than On Eagles Wings…
Agreed.
and there is no difference in quality, musically or theologically.
Quality wise and musically, perhaps.

As for the words… The first has questionable theological value for Mass, (although there is nothing wrong with asking the Lord to come and be with us.) The second is Psalm 91 (for the verses) and a looser collection of scripture verses for the refrain. Psalm paraphrases are quite appropriate for Mass (except for as the Psalm.)

The problem is the music, not the words.
 
Interesting. I never thought much about the words, or made the connection to the Psalm. For me it was enough to respond to the strong reaction that this has no place in a funeral Mass. I should be more analytical before tossing out theological pronouncements.

Now, having admitted my error, there is no need actually to go back and read or listen to it!!
 
The year 2000 (very regularly in 1998-1999, 1999-2000 school years)…not at my parish, but at the parish where I taught in the school. I left after the 1999-2000 school year (sent to live in another state), but I’d guess they probably regularly continued to sing it until they closed about two years ago (the parish closed about a year after the school closed).
 
Haven’t heard “Let there be peace on earth” since the 80s. It appears from time to time in the J.S. Paluch/WLP misselletes as does “Whatsoever you do.”

Here’s another oldie that has disappeared. It remember it being the enterence hymn at my Confirmation Mass way back in the early 80s…“Pass It On.”
Code:
                    It only takes a spark to get a fire going,
                    And soon all those around can warm up in its glowing;
                    That's how it is with God's Love,
                    Once you've experienced it,
                    Your spread the love to everyone
                    You want to pass it on.

                    What a wonderous time is spring,
                    When all the tress are budding
                    The birds begin to sing, the flowers start their blooming;
                    That's how it is with God's love,
                    Once you've experienced it.
                    You want to sing, it's fresh like spring,
                    You want to pass it on.

                    I wish for you my friend
                    This happiness that I've found;
                    You can depend on God
                    It matters not where you're bound,
                    I'll shout it from the mountain top - PRAISE GOD!
                    I want the world to know
                    The Lord of love has come to me
                    I want to pass it on.

                    I'll shout it from the mountain top - PRAISE GOD!
                    I want the world to know
                    The Lord of love has come to me
                    I want to pass it on.
 
Haven’t heard “Let there be peace on earth” since the 80s. It appears from time to time in the J.S. Paluch/WLP misselletes as does “Whatsoever you do.”

Here’s another oldie that has disappeared. It remember it being the enterence hymn at my Confirmation Mass way back in the early 80s…“Pass It On.”
Code:
                    It only takes a spark to get a fire going,
                    And soon all those around can warm up in its glowing;
                    That's how it is with God's Love,
                    Once you've experienced it,
                    Your spread the love to everyone
                    You want to pass it on.

                    What a wonderous time is spring,
                    When all the tress are budding
                    The birds begin to sing, the flowers start their blooming;
                    That's how it is with God's love,
                    Once you've experienced it.
                    You want to sing, it's fresh like spring,
                    You want to pass it on.

                    I wish for you my friend
                    This happiness that I've found;
                    You can depend on God
                    It matters not where you're bound,
                    I'll shout it from the mountain top - PRAISE GOD!
                    I want the world to know
                    The Lord of love has come to me
                    I want to pass it on.

                    I'll shout it from the mountain top - PRAISE GOD!
                    I want the world to know
                    The Lord of love has come to me
                    I want to pass it on.
It was also included in my Confirmation in 1979!

I am guilty of starting this one numerous times at Campfires. And I can sing every verse too! Sometimes it’s just fun to sing!!! 😃
 
Whenever comtemporary church music is criticized (and in many cases, rightly so!), the song “Kumbaya” is used to describe it. But seriously, when was the last time anyone actually heard the song “Kumbaya” used in their respective parishes?

For me, I honestly cannot remember, other than the possibility of it being used back when I was in early primary school in the early 1970’s. I actually remember the song “Whatsoever You Do” and “Let There Be Peace On Earth” a lot more, the politically incorrect versions that used “to the least of my brothers” and “brothers all are we”, respectively.

So do tell! When was the last time you heard “Kumbaya” literally sung in your parish?
I know the song is still popular among protestants for their childrens Sunday school.

When my parish music minister has us sing anything from the early 70s (which happens on occasion) I call it a “Kumbaya moment.” 😃
 
I know the song is still popular among protestants for their childrens Sunday school.

When my parish music minister has us sing anything from the early 70s (which happens on occasion) I call it a “Kumbaya moment.” 😃
I don’t recall it ever being a part of protestant children’s Sunday Schools (was involved in prot Sunday schools from 1983-2005).

However, “Jesus Loves Me This I know” will NEVER go out of style. So simple, so true, good, and beautiful. 🙂 “Let the little children come unto Me.”
 
I haven’t heard it in 30 years. I think it’s just in the reference library of folks who refer to it when they don’t like the music.
 
Is there a problem with a song or hymn if it is written by “Protestants”?
Nope. But there was a wave of bad music written after Vatican II and this wasn’t part of that for two reasons–not being afer Vatican II and not being Catholic.

Don’t be too ready to see an insult when none was stated or intended. 🙂

–Jen
 
Much to the shock of her voice coach, my 14 year old daughter has never heard it. The coach looked at me, somewhat accusingly as if I was depriving her of a rite of childhood, and I told her Kumbaya was in the same category as Barbie, Barnie and Bambi (and sugar substitutes)…not allowed in my house.
 
So do tell! When was the last time you heard “Kumbaya” literally sung in your parish?
About two or three months ago. I nearly walked out. Since then, because of ongoing Folk Masses (and a couple of other issues) I have decided to leave my local parish Church and attend the Cathedral of my local city instead.
 
Whenever comtemporary church music is criticized (and in many cases, rightly so!), the song “Kumbaya” is used to describe it. But seriously, when was the last time anyone actually heard the song “Kumbaya” used in their respective parishes?

For me, I honestly cannot remember, other than the possibility of it being used back when I was in early primary school in the early 1970’s. I actually remember the song “Whatsoever You Do” and “Let There Be Peace On Earth” a lot more, the politically incorrect versions that used “to the least of my brothers” and “brothers all are we”, respectively.

So do tell! When was the last time you heard “Kumbaya” literally sung in your parish?
1970s, in a parish in Houston; 1981, in Spanish, when living overseas.

I’ve seen it since then in Spanish hymnals in this country, but have not heard it sung since then.

ICXC NIKA and Kumbaya!!!:):)🙂
 
Whenever comtemporary church music is criticized (and in many cases, rightly so!), the song “Kumbaya” is used to describe it. But seriously, when was the last time anyone actually heard the song “Kumbaya” used in their respective parishes?

For me, I honestly cannot remember, other than the possibility of it being used back when I was in early primary school in the early 1970’s. I actually remember the song “Whatsoever You Do” and “Let There Be Peace On Earth” a lot more, the politically incorrect versions that used “to the least of my brothers” and “brothers all are we”, respectively.

So do tell! When was the last time you heard “Kumbaya” literally sung in your parish?
Kumbaya is a cultural icon that is also used as a buzzword for bad church music.
 
I have moved around several parished in my time, and never heard ’ Kumbaya’ sung. Am I missing something?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top