Labor Pains

  • Thread starter Thread starter heisenburg
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

heisenburg

Guest
My wife had an interesting question that i wanted to pass here.

We are expecting our first child and she had an interesting thought. If one of the punishments of expulsion from paradise is an increase in the womens labor pains, how does god feel about the use of pain killers during labor.

My response was that the pains are still there, but the usage of medical technologies for this case doesn’t violate any moral or ethical sins, so therefore it is OK. Her response was just… “but god wanted women to have that pain, so he cant be happy with it.”

I Can understand where she is coming from, but was curious on other peoples opinions…

In Christ
 
God doesn’t cause pain.

It was man’s free will choice to not listen to God and to allow the “pain” of sin into the world through satan.

There is nothing against the church teachings to use pain killers during labor. 😉
 
My wife had an interesting question that i wanted to pass here.

We are expecting our first child and she had an interesting thought. If one of the punishments of expulsion from paradise is an increase in the womens labor pains, how does god feel about the use of pain killers during labor.

My response was that the pains are still there, but the usage of medical technologies for this case doesn’t violate any moral or ethical sins, so therefore it is OK. Her response was just… “but god wanted women to have that pain, so he cant be happy with it.”

I Can understand where she is coming from, but was curious on other peoples opinions…

In Christ
Well God also provides the painkillers.

A woman is allowed to request painkillers without a moral hindrance. Labor pains are just like all the pain and suffering that was introduced since the Fall. It is an opportunity to unite sufferting with that of Christs on the Cross.

But God also reconizes that when suffering causes dispair, it has exceeded its purpose and may be relieved. This will, of course, vary from person to person.

If she instead chooses to offer up the pain and suffering for a special intention,and can resonably bear the pain, that is a moral good. (My wife’s intention during the last labor was for the conversion of Planned Parenthood)
 
Throughout her pregnancy, delivery, post-partum and parenting there is no way your wife will avoid pain–physical, mental, emotional and spiritual. This is a marathon, not a sprint and there is no drug that can make parenting a pain-free adventure. While it’s also the most rewarding, joyful, generous and loving experience a person can have here on earth, a little pain alleviation–particularly for purposes of maintaining one’s ability to effectively participate in and be aware of the delivery of a child is, to my way of thinking, wise parenting, not a moral compromise.
 
I don’t think there is anything morally wrong with relieving labor pains.

However, I’m currently taking birthing classes with my husband which is focused on natural birthing. The baby gets whatever medicine your wife takes in during labor and that can cause problems after the baby is born (ie. the baby has difficulty nursing) as well as slow down the entire labor significantly. I’ve heard from women who’ve gone through natural births, the amazing feeling it is to be present during the entire thing. Granted, there were usually points where they were saying, “GIVE ME THE DRUGS!” but thanks to making sure their husbands knew before they began labor that they wanted to do this naturally, they weren’t given any and once the most difficult part was over, they had a beautiful baby and were fully aware of all they went through. This class also teaches different relaxation techniques and things you can do beforehand and during labor to help decrease pain.

With that said, I wouldn’t want to go through a ceaserian without meds ;).
 
I don’t think there is anything morally wrong with relieving labor pains.

However, I’m currently taking birthing classes with my husband which is focused on natural birthing. The baby gets whatever medicine your wife takes in during labor and that can cause problems after the baby is born (ie. the baby has difficulty nursing) as well as slow down the entire labor significantly. I’ve heard from women who’ve gone through natural births, the amazing feeling it is to be present during the entire thing. Granted, there were usually points where they were saying, “GIVE ME THE DRUGS!” but thanks to making sure their husbands knew before they began labor that they wanted to do this naturally, they weren’t given any and once the most difficult part was over, they had a beautiful baby and were fully aware of all they went through. This class also teaches different relaxation techniques and things you can do beforehand and during labor to help decrease pain.

With that said, I wouldn’t want to go through a ceaserian without meds ;).
I agree totally that there is nothing morally wrong with pain killers during labour. Like mentioned above, though, most drugs or measures taken to ease the pains of childbirth do carry with them risks, such as increased incedents of fetal distress and higher ceaserian rates. You and your wife may want to read about this and discuss and write a birth plan, so that your doctor knows exactly what you want and don’t want during the birth.

Everyone is different and complications can arise, but I have had 5 children and never used any drugs during labour. My first two births were difficult, but it gave me such a feeling of accomplishment to have made it through without drugs. The last three I couldn’t even really discribe as being painful. I think this could have to do with knowing I could do it without drugs and also feeling relaxed about the whole process. After all childbirth isn’t a problem or a disease, it is a natural healthy event.

Oh, with the last three, my husband and I also prayed daily from the beginning of the pregnancy for a safe,healthy and easy labour and delivery. Perhaps this is the biggest reason they went so well. I will pray that all goes well with the arrival of your baby and wish you the best. It is such a blessing!
 
Personally, I don’t see anything wrong with meds to relieve the pain of childbirth. Like mentioned above, I also had an unmedicated labor and delivery. It was what I wanted, and I loved being present for the pain and the pressure and the birth of my son.

OTOH, I had a friend who absolutely loved the ease of her daughters’ medicated births. She would not have had it any other way.

Consider your options and choose what is right for you. Pray and enjoy this precious time of preparation. Being a parent, from the moment of conception, is being a sacred witness to the miracle of human life. Bless you on this journey!

Gertie
 
This question comes up every couple months. I am wondering if perhaps people who think this way might be suffering from scrupulosity? Just a thought.
 
God doesn’t cause pain.

It was man’s free will choice to not listen to God and to allow the “pain” of sin into the world through satan.
Exactly, the “feelings” of labor might have existed in Eden (if Eve had had a baby), just as Adam had to “feel” labor before the Fall too (Gen 2:15 And the Lord God took man, and put him into the paradise of pleasure, to dress it, and to keep it.)

These labors became “painful” after Eden because

CCC 400 The harmony in which they had found themselves, thanks to original justice, is now destroyed: the control of the soul’s spiritual faculties over the body is shattered; the union of man and woman becomes subject to tensions, their relations henceforth marked by lust and domination. Harmony with creation is broken: visible creation has become alien and hostile to man

The consequence was explusion from Eden, so we couldn’t do something that would have been…well…forever

Gen 3:22 And he said: Behold Adam is become as one of us, knowing good and evil: now, therefore, lest perhaps he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever. 23 And the Lord God sent him out of the paradise of pleasure, to till the earth from which he was taken.

Almost makes you wonder if our expulsion was a blessing in disguise (who wants to live forever?, especially without the original justice we once had)

Kathie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top