Ladies - be your Guys Number One Fan

  • Thread starter Thread starter JRPO
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s the thing though-- I don’t think the love & respect thing comes from past gender roles at all. It’s just an observation about the nature of men and women.

Although the concepts are in line with the Church’s teachings the natures of men and women, the love & respect idea (as presented practically in the books we’ve mentioned) isn’t an infallible teaching. So…really it’s not an issue if you don’t understand it, or if you do and just don’t like/agree with it. 🙂
Is it though? I don’t think there is anything in Church teaching about what men and women enjoy in relationships.
 
Is it though? I don’t think there is anything in Church teaching about what men and women enjoy in relationships.
Flyingfish

Correct me if i’m wrong but you seem to be coming entirely from the what can i get out of a relationship angle.
My reason for starting this thread was that I was looking at how well do we understand the opposite sex when it comes to relationships and marriages.
Relationships have to be about how we understand the opposite sex and what we can give. Not what can i get.
It seems to me too that relationships are not a 50/50 thing.Again I’ll point to Mark Gungor here because he makes a lot of sense I think.

Are relationships give and take.
youtube.com/watch?v=1P7V1bIapME
 
Flyingfish

Correct me if i’m wrong but you seem to be coming entirely from the what can i get out of a relationship angle.
I’m not sure why you think this, I was only discussing the idea that men want respect and women want love.
 
Well it probably depends on how “respect” is defined. I am definitely not interested in being recognized as the “big woman” or whatever (nor am I interested in being with a man who wants me to recognize him as the “big guy”, for me that kind of desire would be a sign to run).

But I would definitely want the guy I was with to be proud of me, it would be as important to me as being protected and pampered. I wouldn’t say one is more important than the other, both have to be there for me to want to be with the guy. If he didn’t think very highly of me and I knew it, I wouldn’t want to be with him. If he wasn’t protective and warm, I wouldn’t want to be with him either.
I’m not trying to be smug or anything but in the above here I counted I and me 14 times
 
I’m not trying to be smug or anything but in the above here I counted I and me 14 times
I’m not sure what your point is? Chev asked me what I wanted in a relationship, so I answered his question.

He didn’t ask me what I would want to do for the guy. But if you’re interested, what I would get out of a relationship is important to me. Giving and receiving are both important. I’m definitely not a selfless person to the point where I would make someone else’s needs the main focus of my life, and the only reason I would ever be in a relationship to begin with is that I would desire a man. I would want to do things for him too though, and his happiness would be very important to me. 🤷
 
I’m not sure what your point is? Chev asked me what I wanted in a relationship, so I answered his question.

He didn’t ask me what I would want to do for the guy. But if you’re interested, what I would get out of a relationship is important to me. Giving and receiving are both important. I’m definitely not a selfless person to the point where I would make someone else’s needs the main focus of my life, and the only reason I would ever be in a relationship to begin with is that I would desire a man. I would want to do things for him too though, and his happiness would be very important to me. 🤷
Well surely then the answer to such questions is - what are WE going to get from OUR relationship. How can WE make EACH OTHER happy. How well do WE understand each other. What can WE do to make OUR relationship a success.

The original thought behind this thread was how well do we understand the opposite sex do we understand each other enough to make our relationship happy and sucessful.
Is it our lack of understanding and - focus on ourselves that almost half of all marriages fail.
 
Is this the reason some guys do have an affair

take a look at this you tube video

youtube.com/watch?v=twlWiZMKaOA&NR=1
Yes, without a doubt… emotional abuse and neglect of a spouse opens the door wide open for someone else to fill that need. This even can cause a spouse who otherwise would never consider an affair to fall into one very easily.

Popular culture would have us to believe that cheating women are generally seeking emotional intimacy and men are seeking sex when they stray.That’s a dangerous assumption.

Women who are verbally or emotionally abusive shouldn’t be surprised when they discover that their husband has a “friend” at work.
 
Is it though? I don’t think there is anything in Church teaching about what men and women enjoy in relationships.
Once again: the fundamental natures of men and women. The Church has taught a whole lot about that, just do a Google search or a CAF search if you want to read details. The love and respect idea flows perfectly from it, from what the roles of men and women are in accordance with their natures: ie: men as providers and protectors, women as mothers and nurturers, etc. If you make the whole conversation ridiculous by saying “but not all men provide! Not all women are mothers!” then you miss the point. We’re talking about fundamental nature. Not what men and women might enjoy in a relationship, which could really be anything, dependent on the couple.
 
Well it probably depends on how “respect” is defined. I am definitely not interested in being recognized as the “big woman” or whatever (nor am I interested in being with a man who wants me to recognize him as the “big guy”, for me that kind of desire would be a sign to run).
The problem with definitions is that any discussion can be stalled for want of them. Just recall someone proclaiming, “define X!” when you were trying to talk about something. So let’s either stick to ordinary meaning or just say what we have in mind. We can’t define anything with *both *100% accuracy and 100% acceptance anyway.
But I would definitely want the guy I was with to be proud of me, it would be as important to me as being protected and pampered. I wouldn’t say one is more important than the other, both have to be there for me to want to be with the guy. If he didn’t think very highly of me and I knew it, I wouldn’t want to be with him. If he wasn’t protective and warm, I wouldn’t want to be with him either.
Well, there are various ways in which a man could be proud of a woman, from pretty trophy wife to boast of to having the kind of pride that say, parents have of their children when they do something meaningful. This is close to one part of what I understood as respect.
What about you? Would you say that one is vastly more important than the other? Or are both important?
I could more easily live with someone who didn’t have butterflies but genuinely respected me than with someone who had genuine butterflies but didn’t respect me. When it comes to charity, I would generally have a lot of difficulty being with someone who didn’t want to exercise it (or didn’t feel obliged to try). For various reasons, I particularly appreciate the warmth some good women (and a couple of men) have in their personality, it would also be hard to go without it forever. However, I don’t really need a counterpart of “princess treatment” and whatever degree of it I might appreciate, respect would be dearer to me. I don’t go as far as the parents who say, “you don’t have to love me but you have to respect me,” but I can relate to the sentiment.
In my understanding of evolution (and note that I don’t have a degree in biology or anthropology), you simply can’t make that kind of a claim. Take the Bushmen, who today live the closest to the conditions we evolved under (or did when I was reading about them). The women provide most of the food because they gather nuts and the like for their families (most of their diet). The men hunt but what they hunt is shared by the entire tribe, and comprises a relatively small part of their diet. So men in fact depend on women to provide them with food in that particular society, and one of the reasons for a guy to get married is to have a wife to gather nuts for him.
The women there are the gatherers (as are children probably) and the men are the hunters. The meat is important in their diet, even if it’s not quantitatively such a large portion. We don’t eat meat without something like potatoes or rice and vegetables, either.
Who is to say how our ancestors lived, but I think this idea of the woman sitting around and nurturing rather than working hard and providing exists only among wealthy people who can afford to have the woman have the man provide for her. Our ancestors probably all had to work very hard and provide as their survival depended on it.
Hard work was always there and I suppose per se, the woman’s work was harder, as minding all those children while tending to the house and preparing meals and doing laundry and sewing and all that, most of which at the same time, was probably more exerting than 2-3 days out hunting, or, a war trip against the neighbouring tribe. There, danger and physical confrontation and, perhaps, leadership came into play. There was a study once that showed men and women differed in sight range and ability to concentrate or multitask. In both areas, men proved better prepared to focus while women proved better prepared to multitask. I think today’s management style is generally feminine precisely because of the insane idea of forcing everyone into multitasking as if it were *en vogue *or something like that. In reality, it’s probably feminine thinking and a bit of a lack of perspective, failing to recognise that men are better used when they are allowed to focus. I particularly hated this aspect of working in a corporation.
I also think that if what you were saying were true, women wouldn’t have gone to such great lengths to win rights and opportunities for themselves to essentially live what you would call a man’s life.
Actually, WW1 and WW2 had a lot of meaning there in terms of making things happen. Troopers can’t work jobs in the homeland, right? I don’t call professional work a man’s life, though I feel sad for those professional women who have identity problems as a result of trying basically to be men instead of seeing value in their being women. In every team, female (name removed by moderator)ut is very valuable because it offers a different way of looking at things from what males would be able to come up with. Now if all the females were essentially trying to be men, then this female perspective would be lost and they would never be able to become men anyway. Imagine, say, someone refusing to use his first language and insisting on using a second language he learnt while already adult. He won’t contribute his knowledge of the first language, while at the same time, he will never achieve the familiarity with a language that a native speaker or someone who learnt it as a child has. This is a far analogy, I know.
 
I certainly don’t think men and women are identical, but I would question generalizations made without actual data to substantiate them. Genetics and culture both contribute to how human beings develop, and as our culture has changed in the last century so have our understandings of gender roles/differences between the sexes and so on.
I question the generalisations too, as well as see the importance of culture. However, it’s easy to say something is cultural but later find out that oops… maybe not? Think about twins ending up similar even if they are brought up in different circumstances.
Which would still be far more accurate than someone than someone making generalizations about men and women out of their own personal experiences and understandings.
Our experience is just a piece of the whole cake. While we can’t guarantee that what holds true for a piece is true also for the whole cake, we can infer much if we know the structure and the general rules that apply to a cake (even if we don’t know if the particular cake doesn’t deviate from the general principles as we see them). This is basically to point out that generalising isn’t always doomed. On the other hand, excessive particularism (stick with one’s piece of cake only) severely limits one’s perspective and impairs it. The extreme example of this is when people claim that only those who have experienced something can judge it, therefore e.g. judges, most of whom have never stolen or killed (except previously at war maybe) shouldn’t judge people. It can’t go that far. We need to use common sense and avoid either going too far or staying too close.
Well, I’m not ready to say that in general and I was just talking about my personal experience.
Well, I could say a lot of things about women from personal experience, but my experience includes also what I see of other people’s experience or what second-hand relations I come across and somehow I’m less inclined to claim that women have this or that pathology. The women I’ve had this kind of contact with may have had certain traits in common, but there’s a lot of factors there, including the reasons why I picked those women, more than just a proportional reflection of general traits. Speaking theologically, from your experience it seems to show that men are more affected by the Fall than women are.
But still, even if true, all it says is that men would be more likely than women to want power, or to want to be worshipped by others.
Nah, you’re just trying to reduce it to some supposedly 100% sure minimum. Generally, virtues have corresponding vices and desire of certain things, while of itself neutral, can develop into more positive or negative shapes. A person who likes eating, likes eating, while a glutton also likes eating, except inordinately so. Thus it isn’t too far off to say that e.g. a populace with a greater share of gluttons also has a greater general appreciation of food. Sure, you don’t have 100% proof, but you never have 100% proof in science anyway. You only have that kind of proof in maths.
If you grant that this is just the unhealthy variant of the healthy desire to want to be liked and well thought of, then I guess you could make an argument that maybe men might be more likely than women to want to be liked/well thought of/have influence.
Generally, if more men than women like cars, then it would be somehow expectable that more men than women would covet cars and so more men than women would still cars (obviously notwithstanding the fact that in particular cases people may well have strong desires but even stronger self-control). This should work the other way round too. When I say should, I mean it just points in that direction, not like it’s guaranteed.
But it doesn’t say that most men would want this over being loved, or that most women would want being loved over this. Which I think is what the other poster wanted to say.
*Loved *is a broad word and I’m sure we have as many defintions as we have people. Perhaps some men would indeed put respect before love, while some others would define love, or especially *being loved *or feeling loved in terms of respect than cherishing, well, depending whether they talked about loving women or being loved by women. Won’t necessarily be true for “metrosexuals”, I guess.
Everything in my experience suggests that both sexes want both respect and warmth/affection, which again, is no better than someone making a claim that men want respect and women want love. I admit that I could well be wrong.
Yes, of course, both sexes want all those things, but they differ when it comes to details or particular priorites. I would say it’s somewhat natural for people to want to be someone’s “big guy” (looked up, the hero, the protector/provider) or “little girl” (the princess, the treasured and protected one) than vice versa, even if we obviously shouldn’t go too far with generalisations. Nothing much wrong with a big guy and big girl scenario, but now big girl and little guy… ooops… no, not really how things are supposed to be.
 
Who is to say how our ancestors lived, but I think this idea of the woman sitting around and nurturing rather than working hard and providing exists only among wealthy people who can afford to have the woman have the man provide for her. Our ancestors probably all had to work very hard and provide as their survival depended on it.

I also think that if what you were saying were true, women wouldn’t have gone to such great lengths to win rights and opportunities for themselves to essentially live what you would call a man’s life.
You’re working with some illogical assumptions here. Why does a woman being a nurturer preclude her from being a hard worker too? Or even a provider? If providing is part of a man’s fundamental nature, does that mean a woman can’t provide? Or that a man can’t be nurturing? Nobody is saying that (except for you!) 😛 If you look at everything in exclusive, absolutist terms-- like for instance, that nurturing means that women “sit around” and soothe babies all day-- then obviously the whole perspective will be skewed.

I don’t know any good mother who doesn’t work super-hard and pretty much holds the household together. There are also women who are the primary providers and men who are stay at home dads. Or, women who have to do both as single mothers. None of that changes the fundamental natures of men and women.

Fulton Sheen gave a talk about this once, which I’ll try to paraphrase. Basically it was about how men and women can never escape who they truly are and still be happy. So you can, for example, have a woman who runs a huge corporation. If the woman is truly happy and fulfilled that way, that means she is still in some way being true to her fundamental nature. It might be in her style of leadership, or the way she communicates her ideas or the way she treats her employees. But if you analyze her and her situation, you’ll still see the mother in there. That’s just who she is, as a woman.
 
*I think it makes perfect sense that we should praise our husbands…I am my husband’s number one ‘‘fan,’’ and he’s mine. On most days, this serves to be true, I think. 😉

I think we all need that boost…the outside world beats us up enough…the home should be a haven or a refuge for spouses to come and seek comfort and support. It’s not just men who cheat, either. Women who are not shown love and cherished, often stray to find it elsewhere too. That said, I’m not a believer in giving excuses for sin. Cheating is never an answer to marital problems, and often, cheating is about the cheater, not the marriage. I have known friends and family who have cheated, and I’ve noted that in all of their cases they a) didn’t have a strong relationship with Christ and b) they were looking for another person outside of their marriage to solve an internal character flaw, or problem. Many people think cheating is a reaction to something a spouse is or is not doing–or the spouse has grown unattractive, or doesn’t have sex, etc etc…but, often times, it’s not the case at all. My husband had a female friend who was married and she was stunning…truly stunning–and her husband was a CHRONIC cheater. Bottom line, he was an immature little man who had mother issues, and treated all women badly. She was a great wife…so we need to be very very careful to not point fingers at injured spouses and say…’‘well, if only she/he was doing this or that…’’

Not to say that infidelity can’t stem from marital problems, but I am not a believer in giving people potentially viable excuses to cheat. Cheating is wrong, it’s sinful, and there really are no ‘‘valid’’ excuses. If you have problems in yourself or marriage, go to your spouse to explain yourself, to work it out…to work on the issues. But, don’t sleep around.

Other than those things I mention, point well taken, JRPO! :)*
I totally agree with this!
 
40.png
chevalier:
Hard work was always there and I suppose per se, the woman’s work was harder, as minding all those children while tending to the house and preparing meals and doing laundry and sewing and all that, most of which at the same time, was probably more exerting than 2-3 days out hunting, or, a war trip against the neighbouring tribe.
Again, these are assumptions based on modern culture, not something you can really say we evolved for. If you’re a hunter-gatherer woman, you’re not going to do those things. Our ancesestors didn’t even have purmanent homes, settling down, having a house, all that came later.

It’s also questionable how many children a hunter-gatherer woman could have. Women who are thin for example (like today’s athletes), often don’t menstruate and simply can’t get pregnant. You need to have a certain amount of fat in you to get pregnant. If you have a child and are breastfeeding, that’s going to suck the fat out of you too. If you’re a hunter-gatherer, you’re always on the move, so you simply can’t have more children that can either walk with you or can be carried by you.

And then, since the human population was stable until relatively recently, on average only 2 children survived.
There, danger and physical confrontation and, perhaps, leadership came into play.
It’s very hard to know who would have been leading “the tribe”, or if there would have been a formal leader at all.

You have to keep in mind that back then, there was more than enough land for all the human beings on the planet. You didn’t need to go to war against neighboring tribes, because there was so much land and resources you could simply walk away to a new patch, there was no need to fight for them.

Early hunger gatherer tribes are thought to have been very egalitarian, with “leaders” being those people who were most experienced and had the best ideas, but of course we can’t well go back in time and check.

Men would definitely be highly valued in an environment with frequent war, but frequent war doesn’t come until later, until human population density rises to the point where you have to compete for resources and land.
I question the generalisations too, as well as see the importance of culture. However, it’s easy to say something is cultural but later find out that oops… maybe not? Think about twins ending up similar even if they are brought up in different circumstances.
It is very hard to tell. You might need to do some pretty unethical experiments on twins to get a better idea. But one thing that’s clear, is how the ambitions and desires of women have changed in the Western world since women fought for and won semi-equal opporunities for themselves.

If you ask the average young woman today what her dreams for the future are, my guess is they would be very different than the dreams of an average young woman from 100 years ago.

It’s impossible to know to what extent what we think we want is shaped by what culture tells us we should want.
 
You’re working with some illogical assumptions here. Why does a woman being a nurturer preclude her from being a hard worker too? Or even a provider? If providing is part of a man’s fundamental nature, does that mean a woman can’t provide? Or that a man can’t be nurturing? Nobody is saying that (except for you!) 😛 If you look at everything in exclusive, absolutist terms-- like for instance, that nurturing means that women “sit around” and soothe babies all day-- then obviously the whole perspective will be skewed.

I don’t know any good mother who doesn’t work super-hard and pretty much holds the household together. There are also women who are the primary providers and men who are stay at home dads. Or, women who have to do both as single mothers. None of that changes the fundamental natures of men and women.
My point is that the system where the woman takes care of the home and the man goes out to work comprises a very tiny slice of the human history. The genus Homo has been around for 2.5 million years ago, Homo sapiens for something like 150,000 years. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_human_evolution

Farming, permanent settlement, large settlements of people only started around 10,000 years ago in the Middle East.

The way we understand provider in modern society, and the way the world provider is used when applied to men is understood to be someone who “brings home the bacon”, i.e. works outside the home and provides for the family. This distinction simply didn’t exist for most of human history, not only because we simply didn’t have a complex society or permanent homes, but because everyone worked hard to provide for themselves and the tribe. The roles of men and women would have been very similar, and centered around getting food.
 
The original thought behind this thread was how well do we understand the opposite sex do we understand each other enough to make our relationship happy and sucessful.
Is it our lack of understanding and - focus on ourselves that almost half of all marriages fail.
I don’t think the two are mutually exclusive. I admit that my own needs would be the main reason I would want a relationship to begin with. I don’t go into a relationship thinking of how I can make the guy happy, for me it starts with desiring a man.

But at the same time, when I care about someone I want them to be happy. I have spent a lot of time reading about what men want/need/like precisely so I could give my partner what he wants.

I don’t know why almost half of all marriages fail though. I don’t think it takes a lot to understand what human beings need. And the link you started the OP with is pretty common sense, I think it would take someone really dumb to think that they can shoot someone down over and over and still have a healthy relationship with them.

Maybe people just fall out of love and get tired of each other, and that’s why marriages fail. I don’t know.
 
My point is that the system where the woman takes care of the home and the man goes out to work comprises a very tiny slice of the human history. The genus Homo has been around for 2.5 million years ago, Homo sapiens for something like 150,000 years. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_human_evolution

Farming, permanent settlement, large settlements of people only started around 10,000 years ago in the Middle East.

The way we understand provider in modern society, and the way the world provider is used when applied to men is understood to be someone who “brings home the bacon”, i.e. works outside the home and provides for the family. This distinction simply didn’t exist for most of human history, not only because we simply didn’t have a complex society or permanent homes, but because everyone worked hard to provide for themselves and the tribe. The roles of men and women would have been very similar, and centered around getting food.
First, your first sentence is very doubtful and I don’t believe it at all. Doesn’t fit with what I know of history. And I majored in it for a time. Second, it’s beside the point anyhow. Again, it’s not about societal roles, which can change; it’s about fundamental natures. I’ve said that in every single post I’ve made in this thread so far.
 
First, your first sentence is very doubtful and I don’t believe it at all. Doesn’t fit with what I know of history. And I majored in it for a time. Second, it’s beside the point anyhow. Again, it’s not about societal roles, which can change; it’s about fundamental natures. I’ve said that in every single post I’ve made in this thread so far.
I mean all of written and known history is a tiny slice of human existence.
 
Again, these are assumptions based on modern culture, not something you can really say we evolved for. If you’re a hunter-gatherer woman, you’re not going to do those things. Our ancesestors didn’t even have purmanent homes, settling down, having a house, all that came later.
Well, we evolve. Or rather God leads us through history, as I would prefer to say.
It’s also questionable how many children a hunter-gatherer woman could have. Women who are thin for example (like today’s athletes), often don’t menstruate and simply can’t get pregnant. You need to have a certain amount of fat in you to get pregnant. If you have a child and are breastfeeding, that’s going to suck the fat out of you too. If you’re a hunter-gatherer, you’re always on the move, so you simply can’t have more children that can either walk with you or can be carried by you.
Not all athletes are thin and certainly not all people who work physically or outside are thin. Never seen an overweight policeman (not a desk job but the one patrolling, chasing, intervening) or construction worker? Gathering nuts and berries isn’t harder than that and won’t burn more calories.
And then, since the human population was stable until relatively recently, on average only 2 children survived.
Not sure I understand that one.
It’s very hard to know who would have been leading “the tribe”, or if there would have been a formal leader at all.
A leader doesn’t have to be formal and a pack always has a leader.
You have to keep in mind that back then, there was more than enough land for all the human beings on the planet.
Same as today.
You didn’t need to go to war against neighboring tribes, because there was so much land and resources you could simply walk away to a new patch, there was no need to fight for them.
There were other causes, such as females, or insults by the other tribe, or outrage at their customs.
Early hunger gatherer tribes are thought to have been very egalitarian, with “leaders” being those people who were most experienced and had the best ideas, but of course we can’t well go back in time and check.
You can’t not be egalitarian if everybody’s closely related by blood and there are no economic differences. 🙂
Men would definitely be highly valued in an environment with frequent war, but frequent war doesn’t come until later, until human population density rises to the point where you have to compete for resources and land.
Before then, there’s plenty of opportunity for providing protection, whatever from, really. It’s not only canibals that would eat you.
It is very hard to tell. You might need to do some pretty unethical experiments on twins to get a better idea. But one thing that’s clear, is how the ambitions and desires of women have changed in the Western world since women fought for and won semi-equal opporunities for themselves.
Careful there. That sounded wrong. Ambitions and desires aren’t wrong of themselves but when we start talking about how ambitions and desires change the world, it starts giving a wrong vibe.
If you ask the average young woman today what her dreams for the future are, my guess is they would be very different than the dreams of an average young woman from 100 years ago.
Man too. And go back to the middle ages. Who had a degree back then? There were more people with titles of nobility than with degrees and most people were serfs anyway. They surely had different dreams from those we have today.
 
I don’t think the two are mutually exclusive. I admit that my own needs would be the main reason I would want a relationship to begin with. I don’t go into a relationship thinking of how I can make the guy happy, for me it starts with desiring a man.

But at the same time, when I care about someone I want them to be happy. I have spent a lot of time reading about what men want/need/like precisely so I could give my partner what he wants.
Oh, and those books are more reliable than those that tell what a woman wants or needs or likes? 😉 I wholeheartedly commend you for the effort and it’s a pity most people won’t go to such lengths as you did, but at the same time, are you prepared to listen to what the individual person’s needs or desires are?
I don’t know why almost half of all marriages fail though. I don’t think it takes a lot to understand what human beings need. And the link you started the OP with is pretty common sense, I think it would take someone really dumb to think that they can shoot someone down over and over and still have a healthy relationship with them.
Marriages fall because of the Fall. People make moral choices which go in the immoral direction. Putting their own needs or wants before those of the other person, deciding they need to “try” with someone else than the spouse, that they can’t reasonably be expected to stick with one person forever, that they have too varied needs to be fulfilled by one person, that they are entitled to a break from the rules, that they made a mistake and are entitled to a fresh start… I can go on and on. Others are afflicted with personality disorders that make it very hard on them and other people. Those trace back either to medical or similar causes (e.g. physical defects in the brain, chemical imbalances) or to results of mistreatment on the hands of others (people who hurt others may have been hurt before), or errors in upbringing (permissivism, which is the norm today).
Maybe people just fall out of love and get tired of each other, and that’s why marriages fail. I don’t know.
Emotions aren’t or shouldn’t be the beginning and end of it. The marital consent is to giving and receiving each other in totality and forever and that’s not quite what people do when they get tired of each other after several years instead of sticking with the commitment. I don’t want to come down hard on anyone, but doing so is not an answer. The answer is working on the marriage which is, not thinking of ways out.
 
Man too. And go back to the middle ages. Who had a degree back then? There were more people with titles of nobility than with degrees and most people were serfs anyway. They surely had different dreams from those we have today.
May I put it to you that the basic ‘dreams’ of men and women have not changed down through the ages. That those unchanging ‘dreams’ are peace, love stability, security and to be appreciated, which is about where this thread started from. Oh, in 2010 a young girl might dream of a barbie doll, or some fancy modern outfit, whereas the young girl from the Middle Ages might have dreamt of a fine linen petticoat, or a bouquet of flowers from her favourite beau. But some things don’t ever change. Our basic desires and needs, emotional needs I am refering to, are as much a part of us as they were of our forefathers and are culturally independent.They are the same for a Russian, American, Australian, an Icelandic person, or fro someone who is a member of an Amazonian tribe. We need, company, friends, family, love, appreciation and security. So, from that perspective, why would the basic ‘dreams’ of people today be any different from those of a hundred years ago, or a thousand years ago? Today, men and woman have more choices as far as what they can fit into their lives, but the vast majority of us all want the same basic things. The thread began by asking why men have affairs, why marriages break down. Perhaps it is because the very basic needs, as I have referred to here, have not been met. Appreciation, love, security, stability. It could also be the case that modern society has made these basic needs subservient to the more fashionable ‘dreams’ of material wealth, career status, personal satisfaction, which may be another phrase for selfishness, and ideology in a form which causes us to deny our most basic needs.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top