Laity Genuflecting during the Gospel

  • Thread starter Thread starter Penance94
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our pope said (Spirit of the Liturgy Ignatius 2000) the the Liturgy is rite = rule.
I have read Card. Ratzinger’s The Spirit of the Liturgy. It would be nice for you to provide a quote, or at least a citation, from his book to explain your comment that “the the Liturgy is rite = rule”.
The rule gives options for some occasions, and strict form for others. This is the nature of every regulations. The kid may have good intentions, but the end does not justifies the ways.
I agree that the liturgy has rules, and that sometimes these rules allow for options, and sometimes they do not. I have not argued that “the end … justifies the ways,” either for this boy or for anything else.
Ss for the kneeling or standing after receiving communion that GIRM allows local customs not the status that everyone can do whatever (s)he want.
I did not say that people can do whatever they want after Communion. I said that the GIRM does not require uniformity of posture after Communion: the rule allows for options there. That is uniformity in the broad sense, that everyone has the same options, but it is not uniformity in the strict sense, that everyone must choose the same option.
I will appreciate very much if you will document that in public prayers anyone can follow his own inspirations.
I will appreciate very much if you will not attribute arguments or points of view to me that I did not state and do not espouse.

I’m not your enemy.
 
I have read Card. Ratzinger’s The Spirit of the Liturgy. It would be nice for you to provide a quote, or at least a citation, from his book to explain your comment that “the the Liturgy is rite = rule”.
Next time I go to the library I will order it and in a couple of week I will get and quote for you.

Here is the rationale for the uniformity in kneeling/genuflecting or standing. In the majority of the churches the pews have limited width, so when people stand the kneelers are turned up, when they kneel or genuflect they are turned down. Also the pne who genuflects can kick down the kneeler behind him; and when that falls to a foot it hurts.

What is your resolution to this problem? The deacon asked the young men to go too the end of the Church.
 
Here is the rationale for the uniformity in kneeling/genuflecting or standing. In the majority of the churches the pews have limited width, so when people stand the kneelers are turned up, when they kneel or genuflect they are turned down. Also the pne who genuflects can kick down the kneeler behind him; and when that falls to a foot it hurts.
This is true. Many modern kneelers aren’t designed for genuflecting. But a “bow” of the head at the name of Jesus or when He was made Man can be a prayer too.
 
Docility - proper reverence for those placed by God over us. Honoring your father and mother also includes the Deacon.
 
Next time I go to the library I will order it and in a couple of week I will get and quote for you.
Not necessary. I figured you had the book on hand. I do, but I don’t recall such a simple “rite = rule” passage.
What is your resolution to this problem? The deacon asked the young men to go too the end of the Church.
I think it’s much wiser to tell the young man to show the approved sign of reverence, rather than say “you can make the sign of reverence you prefer at the back of the church”. In fact, that “back of the church” response is directly opposed to the uniformity you were speaking about.
 
Salve Maria!
A young boy of my acquaintance, who takes his Faith very seriously for his age, is in the habit of genuflecting whenever the Lord’s Name is spoken.
He was recently reprimanded by one of the local Deacons, who told him that his genuflecting at times when others don’t, like when Our Lord’s name is used during the Gospel, is a distraction to other people. He has been given a choice, either stop Genuflecting, or sit at the back of the Church.
Is this pious boy’s practice allowed?
Is it just me, or is this deacon going overboard here?
the deacon is instructing the boy properly. He should add that while the inclination is worthy we already have an accepted practice which is a slight bow of the head when the Lord’s name is spoken, which he can easily do without disrupting anyone else.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top