"Lamb of God....have mercy on us..."

• Thread starter Thread starter Gail
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gail

I am throwing out this question to see if this is happening elsewhere and if it is allowed.

Last year, after some changes took place our music director has said that until the priest is done pouring the Precious Blood into the chalices and he is ready to say “This is the Lamb, who takes away our sins…” we are to continue singing over and over “Lamb of God you take away the sins of the world, have mercy on us.” This now goes on 4 to 5 times before we say “Lamb of God you take away the sins of the world, GRANT us peace.”

I thought that saying it only 3 times has a special meaning. ie: …have mercy on us, …have mercy on us, …grant us peace. Is this acceptable or just another way for them to find a loophole to minimalize the mass? It is very frustrating, since it just doesn’t feel right.

It will all depend on how long the priest takes in pouring the Precious Blood and to break up the Host that he used at the time of consecration to disburse to the people.

Drats I just read the answer to this and can’t remember where!!!

GIRM #83

The priest breaks the Bread and puts a piece of the host into the chalice to signify the unity of the Body and Blood of the Lord in the work of salvation, namely, of the living and glorious Body of Jesus Christ. The supplication Agnus Dei, is, as a rule, sung by the choir or cantor with the congregation responding; or it is, at least, recited aloud. This invocation accompanies the fraction and, for this reason, may be repeated as many times as necessary until the rite has reached its conclusion, the last time ending with the words dona nobis pacem (grant us peace).

This is taken from the GIRM:

" The supplication Agnus Dei, is, as a rule, sung by the choir or cantor with the

congregation responding; or it is, at least, recited aloud. This invocation accompanies the fraction

and, for this reason, may be repeated as many times as necessary until the rite has reached its

conclusion, the last time ending with the words *dona nobis pacem *(grant us peace)." (GIRM #83)

40.png
Gail:
Last year, after some changes took place our music director has said that until the priest is done pouring the Precious Blood into the chalices .
I would also like to point out that Redemptionis Sacramentum
noted that the pouring of the Precious Blood from one vessel to another is not allowed.
  1. However, the pouring of the Blood of Christ after the consecration from one vessel to another is completely to be avoided, lest anything should happen that would be to the detriment of so great a mystery. Never to be used for containing the Blood of the Lord are flagons, bowls, or other vessels that are not fully in accord with the established norms.
If there are multiple calices used, the wine should be poured into them prior to concecration, and thus prior to the Agnus Dei.

The only fractioning that should actually happening then is the distrubtion of the Hosts into the correct ciboria.

I have a related question, so I thought I’d post it here rather than start a whole new thread…

My parish, and many parishes which I have visited, repeat the refrain “have mercy on us” until the priest is done fractioning, but they do not repeat the words “Lamb of God”. Usually, it starts with “Lamb of God” on the first verse, and then moves on to other titles for our Lord (“Prince of Peace”, “Lord of lords”, etc.) until finally repeating “Lamb of God”, which is the signal for all to end with “Grant us peace”. I realize this is becoming/has become common practice, but I think I read somewhere that this is not allowed. I asked out music liturgist in the parish to research it, and his answer was basically that everybody’s doing it and he hasn’t seen any documentation that it is not allowed. Can anyone shed some light on this?

TIA

King's X Fan:
I have a related question, so I thought I’d post it here rather than start a whole new thread…

My parish, and many parishes which I have visited, repeat the refrain “have mercy on us” until the priest is done fractioning, but they do not repeat the words “Lamb of God”. Usually, it starts with “Lamb of God” on the first verse, and then moves on to other titles for our Lord (“Prince of Peace”, “Lord of lords”, etc.) until finally repeating “Lamb of God”, which is the signal for all to end with “Grant us peace”. I realize this is becoming/has become common practice, but I think I read somewhere that this is not allowed. I asked out music liturgist in the parish to research it, and his answer was basically that everybody’s doing it and he hasn’t seen any documentation that it is not allowed. Can anyone shed some light on this?

TIA
You might be interested in this link www.adoremus.org/1102ReadersForum.html

There is also another link at the end of that article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back