I have been wondering about this. Catholic families are known, stereotypically, for being larger than other religious families. I guess my question goes out to all families with 4+ children. How do you get by financially. My extended family is pretty small, and I’d like to have a large family when the time comes. I just am unsure how larger families get by with financial costs.
Well if you are well educated, hubby as well and can both get really good jobs, all you need to do is monitore your budget and large family shouldn’t be a problem!!!
I have 3 children going on my 4th and we live off of maybe 30 grand a year if that at all, and we barely make it,lol but we make it!!! We have to budget ourselves, really bad, we don’t get to go out, no movies, barely a video game here and there, more going out to parks than stores, nothing luxurious like my sister mother of 2 sahm whom is able to afford a 700 plus purse every other month, and an 900 dollar cell phone every year, thanks to her 100 grand a year hubby’s job!! LOL I go to the mall and if there’s an 85plus% sale which guarantees you will get a 100 dollar item for 25 dollars I grab it! LOL doesn’t happen often first time in like 2 years here where we live, so I took advantage and whatever little money I had left bought Christmas gifts for my family… Like I said doesn’t happen often but when it does it’s great to take advantage! I got me a 50 dollar shirt that day for 4 bucks! Not even Walmart has such sales!!

Use coupons whenever you can, and wait for major sales…I love taking advantage of our supermarket 10 for 10 deals, they don’t have them often but when they do we stock up! LOL I try to save as much money every week or month to help me with major things like kids’ clothes at the begining of school year and during winter…kids grow so darn fast, last year daughter was a size 12, this year size 16!!! Oh yeah it gets expensive! Then there’s all the new fetish like nintendo ds, netbooks etc…My sons barely now will get a nintendo ds, refurbished!! Nephews and nieces since they were 3 years old now 8 years old, lol, have had brand new ones! LOL It’s just those things that you can talk to your kids about and not “deny” them things they would like or want or need but make a deal with them you know, like my son wants an xbox 360, can’t afford one so fiance and I made a deal with him if he passes these next 2 years of school and makes it to 5th grade then he gets one at the end of that year!

He’s been a straight F student ADD/ADHD borderline, so teacher’s have no patience with him…This year though he’s matured a lot and GOD willing he’s going to pass!!!
crossing fingers
So yeah it’s always major budgeting, things you need versus things you want…I go to work with 3 pairs of pants that’s it…lol…I just mix and match you know!? And I have 2 pairs of shoes,-work shoes and daily ballerina shoes-; a pair of sneakers, and a pair of sandals…Versus when I was single and no kids, all I did was have shoes! LOL

Not so proud of myself or anything! But you learn to live without a lot of things… that are not really needed you know?! Like you really need 30 pairs of red shoes??? Seriously??? LOL My sister has like 10 pairs of black shoes, why??? lol I dunno! Never wears them all!!! hehe and her 40 purses and bags barely uses 3 or 4 lol!!! so yeah…
It’s not that easy once you get used to it you know?! yes I would love to have the latest cell phone, man touch screen!! WOW!! Or the cutest LV bag, or Guess glasses WOW! But you know as long as the ones you have do the job of carrying your stuff and covering your eyes you don’t really need to buy a new one every month! LOL
So yeah…that’s how we try to survive! I am sure other families have better luck! I remember my friend’s family whom made less than we did and they were always happy! Always! Without money! So money isn’t the root of all happiness! GOD, love and family is!

GOD bless.