Last Supper + Eucharist

  • Thread starter Thread starter GandalfTheWhite
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GandalfTheWhite

Guest
I have one question about the Eucharist. I want to know if at the Last Supper, when Jesus said this is my body etc etc, the bread was at that time his body (and already being sacrificed) even though he was standing there with them (and hasn’t been crucified yet). I tend to think it is but could someone please help me connect this to the whole understanding of Eucharist? Thank you very much

Pax Domini!
 
I have one question about the Eucharist. I want to know if at the Last Supper, when Jesus said this is my body etc etc, the bread was at that time his body (and already being sacrificed) even though he was standing there with them (and hasn’t been crucified yet). I tend to think it is but could someone please help me connect this to the whole understanding of Eucharist? Thank you very much

Pax Domini!
Yes, at His spoken words the bread became His body and the wine became His Blood. Because every word He spoke was truly God speaking, the same Word that brought all of creation into being from nothing at the beginning of time.
 
I have one question about the Eucharist. I want to know if at the Last Supper, when Jesus said this is my body etc etc, the bread was at that time his body (and already being sacrificed) even though he was standing there with them (and hasn’t been crucified yet). I tend to think it is but could someone please help me connect this to the whole understanding of Eucharist? Thank you very much

Pax Domini!
Well take Marriage…at the altar the vows are made but the consummation/ratification of it happens later. The Marriage Covenant is made at the altar and ratified in the marital bed. Yet the covenant was made there at the altar.

At the Last Supper Jesus made the covenant with us and ratified it the next day on Calvary. And yes they all received His body and blood soul and divinity at the Last Supper.

This is because God is not bound to time as we are. The argument that Protestants make in this matter are irrevalent so don’t be swayed by them. Even though Jesus was not crucified until the next day there is no problem with him being present in a different mannar at a different time because he is God and can do anything.

It is very hard for us humans to see things due to the Original Sin that still effects us. We are still bound by time…that is why we see Jesus offered again and again and again every single day to the Triune God. To God there is no limits- He is not bound by time. What we see in time is a constant NOW to Him.

Ken
 
Yes, and He even tells us so. He doesn’t say “this is my body which will be given” or “this is my blood which will be poured out”, but rather “this is my body which is given” and “this is my blood which is poured out”.
 
Yes, and He even tells us so. He doesn’t say “this is my body which will be given” or “this is my blood which will be poured out”, but rather “this is my body which is given” and “this is my blood which is poured out”.
Thanks for the reminder about the verb tenses. I don’t understand why they changed the verbs to the future tense in the Mass. Always bothers me a little - like the sacrifice is not being offered right now, but will in the future. I’m not sure how the Latin reads. Does anybody know when the future tense began to be used in the Latin rite liturgy?

Nita
 
I have one question about the Eucharist. I want to know if at the Last Supper, when Jesus said this is my body etc etc, the bread was at that time his body (and already being sacrificed) even though he was standing there with them (and hasn’t been crucified yet). I tend to think it is but could someone please help me connect this to the whole understanding of Eucharist? Thank you very much
Pax Domini!
As Ken says”
This is because God is not bound to time as we are
The death and resurrection of Jesus has always existed to God. It is what God willed. To you and I it is an event, to God it was always history. There is no time that the Son of God did not exist. He wasn’t created at His incarnation, He always existed. So. Yes when He said this is my body He truly meant it was His body, When He said this is my blood, He truly meant it was His blood, then as it is today.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top