Latin mass... I can't remember how to spell it :-)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Nanny_PK
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nanny_PK

Guest
My parish will be having the Tridenium (please disregard the improper spelling). I’ve never been to one. Is there anything I need to know about attending one – in particular wearing the mantle on your head (females)?
 
I am by no means an expert here, but I would say you should prepare for it as you would prepare for NO Mass- reflection, quiet time, etc.

I would perhaps try to find some sort of guide/pamphlet on what is going on, because the first time can be very overwhelming. I recommend the Treasure and Tradition book.

Finally, regarding the mantilla for women, it is preferable but not required. I would say about 1/2 of women attending the Tridentine Mass don’t wear one. However, it is much more preferable.

Just a small tip regarding the mantilla, unmarried women should wear any color except black, while married women should wear black. One of my friends in high school accidentally wore a black veil once- we still tease her about it!
 
Prepare as always. While a head covering (not necessarily a mantilla – “veiling” is not a Catholic concept) is typical, it’s not required.

If you do decide to wear a mantilla, don’t worry about the color – married or single, you can wear any color you’d like.

Peace.
 
I went to one years ago. I was met at the door with a mantilla and chastised for wearing pants.
Haven’t been back.
 
Since it is your regular parish that’s doing that and not one exclusively devoted to the Tridentine Mass, I would just wear whatever you usually wear. If you want to wear a mantilla you can wear any color you want. Contrary to what another poster said, we were never taught to wear certain colors whether married or not in the 1950s when I was in parochial school. It is customary in a Tridentine Mass to maintain silence, though and not chat before, during or after the Mass in the church.
 
You met a bunch of Jerks at that particular parish. If our Latin Mass priest ever got wind that parishioners were doing that he would be raving mad. And I wouldn’t want to get on bad end of an ex-airforce priest. 😁
 
I didn’t even know colored veils were a thing. And I’ve been going to the Latin Mass for close to 6 years. It must not be that big of a deal. Wear whatever veil color you like. There will be a lot of random (to you) kneeling. If you run into any weird jerk, semi-sedevecantist Catholics there, just ignore them. The Latin Mass community used to be rife with them. And some are still around. But younger folks have been joining and they don’t bring Vatican II baggage with them. At my EF parish, we have a few nutjobs but there has been a huge influx of newer families that are genuine.

Also, as others have said, the word is Tridentine which basically is the adjective of Trent (the town that the Council that formed the Latin Mass). I just found that fascinating fact out. 😎
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top