Latin Vulgate

  • Thread starter Thread starter kevinsimmons513
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kevinsimmons513

Guest
Hello, I am a Latin studying seminarian and I was interested in getting a copy of the Latin Vulgate to help me keep up those studies over the summer. I am trying to find the edition used by the Church for translations, but am having trouble. Does anyone know where I can find that edition?
 
Hello, I am a Latin studying seminarian and I was interested in getting a copy of the Latin Vulgate to help me keep up those studies over the summer. I am trying to find the edition used by the Church for translations, but am having trouble. Does anyone know where I can find that edition?
The only source I know for a printed copy of the *Nova Vulgata *(the translation currently used by the Church) is the Vatican Bookstore.

There are a couple of sources for the Clementine Vulgate (the Church’s translation up until 1979).

All of them may be found linked at this post [post=4663375]Re: How many versions of the Vulgate are there??[/post]

:bible1:
tee
 
Hi Kevin,

The Vatican bookstore site (Libreria Editrice Vaticana) is very confusing, and as far as I could see, do not sell a complete copy of the Nova Vulgata (the revised edition of the Vulgate).

It seems you can order it (about 50 Euros) by going to this site :

paxbook.com/algorithmiS/servusPrimus?iussum=monstraElenchumScriptorumEditorumCat&corpus=B37

You can get the New Testament at Amazon for $35.
amazon.com/New-Testament-Testamentum-Latine-Vulgata/dp/1598561758

You can download the whole bible for the iphone at

itunes.apple.com/br/app/biblia-sacra-vulgata-latin/id336549653?mt=8

You can access the whole bible online and print out parts as needed; in fact, it looks like you could print the whole bible in one fell swoop!

vatican.va/archive/bible/nova_vulgata/documents/nova-vulgata_index_lt.html

Tell us how you fare.

Verbum
 
Hello, I am a Latin studying seminarian and I was interested in getting a copy of the Latin Vulgate to help me keep up those studies over the summer. I am trying to find the edition used by the Church for translations, but am having trouble. Does anyone know where I can find that edition?
my website: sacredbible.org/
has several editions of the Clementine Vulgate, including the Leander van Ess comparison of the 1590 Pope Sixtus V and the 1992, 93, 98 Pope Clement VIII editions.

The Nova Vulgata has not found much acceptance among scholars. I know of no translation that has been made using the NV as a source text. The text is online here:
vatican.va/archive/bible/nova_vulgata/documents/nova-vulgata_index_lt.html

Most modern translations (unfortunately) are not done from the Latin, but from Hebrew and Greek texts.
 
Hi Kevin,

The Nova Vulgata is now the official text of the Church for use in the liturgy. It has been approved as such by pope John Paul II.

Verbum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top