Latin Vulgate

  • Thread starter Thread starter archistrage
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

archistrage

Guest
I’m looking into getting a copy of the Latin Vulgate, and I read that the oldest and supposedly most accurate copy we have of it is the Codex Amiatinus. So I was wondering if they sold copies of it? I’ve been looking online to no avail. I don’t care for all the fancy pictures and everything, just the “book” part of the Bible.

Thanks,
Archistrage
 
I saw that, and those things cost several thousand dollars.

Even that though is exactly what I’m talking about. It is a photo copy of every single page, which includes all the fancy decoration I really don’t care about. I was looking for a book that simply had all of the book typed up into a regular size Bible. But of course, they have the oldest copy of the Latin Vulgate, and they refuse to publish it! Seriously, isn’t there an international copyright law that states that items that old are public domain!?

Sorry Erin, I’m not ranting at you. Thank you for looking though.

Archistrage
 
I saw that, and those things cost several thousand dollars.

Even that though is exactly what I’m talking about. It is a photo copy of every single page, which includes all the fancy decoration I really don’t care about. I was looking for a book that simply had all of the book typed up into a regular size Bible. But of course, they have the oldest copy of the Latin Vulgate, and they refuse to publish it! Seriously, isn’t there an international copyright law that states that items that old are public domain!?
But it’s a hand-written copy. There’s no such thing as the Codex (any codex) “typed up into a regular-sized Bible.” The process of transliterating it from a manuscript to a typescript would be a change, turning it from what it is into something different - from a codex into a book. The illustrations and details are just as much a part of it as the text. The word-by-word decisions of the person doing the transliteration/typing would still influence the result (have you ever sat around with three other people trying to decipher a letter or diary that was written 200 years ago? Multiply that by at least 100.)

Also, I don’t know why anyone would assert that by virtue of being the oldest extant copy it is the most accurate. A more-ancient copy could be less accurate, if somewhere in the chain of copies there was a careless (or far-sighted) scribe. The most accurate versions are made by comparing multiple ancient copies.

Finally, the fact that something is in the public domain does not mean that there are no costs associated with copying or publishing it, only that the author no longer has the right to control who copies it or how.
 
No scholar considers any one ancient manuscript to stand on its own as ‘the most accurate’. There are many thousands of manuscripts and many hundreds of thousands of variations in the text between them. Bible scholars rely on numerous manuscripts when considering the books of the Bible.

See this site for some editions of the Clementine Vulgate
sacredbible.org/
 
If you want the text, rather than the physical book, then it is available through the Sword Project. For Windows users, E-Sword is a free Bible study program. It is put out by an evangelical group, but it is possible to find the DRC, the Vulgate, and the Septuagint as modules. If you are a Linux user, there is now a Linux version available, and is known a Xiphos. In either version, the download is quick and it does not take long to get up and running.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top