latino Catholics...

  • Thread starter Thread starter jason197754
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jason197754

Guest
Are there any differences between latino Catholics and White=Irisih Catholics???

I’ve heard that latino Catholics are more open to cohabitation. And that Latinos don’t go to Mass regulary/on a regular basis.

So what do you all think???

Thanks…
 
I think what you have heard is complete bull-poo.

I am thankful every day for the infusion of Latino Catholics in my parish…we struggle now, but slowly we are assimilating…they bring vibrancy and enthusiasm; their devotion to their faith is beautiful. I only wish us white folks could live the Gospel as readily as those folks do.
 
Are there any differences between latino Catholics and White=Irisih Catholics???
Their ancestry. 😃 And maybe the kinds of foods they eat or languages they speak. But I think that’s probably about it.
I’ve heard that latino Catholics are more open to cohabitation. And that Latinos don’t go to Mass regulary/on a regular basis.
Where did you hear these things? You might need to consider the source. 😉
So what do you all think???
Unfortunately, I lack specific knowledge about the sociological behaviors of Latino vs. Irish Catholics as groups to make a judgment on any of the things you’ve heard – Do you have any links? 😃 I love discussing sociology.
 
Well, it’s probably mostly stereotypes. I’ve heard Irish Catholics are a breed of their own, and are more liberal about cursing and drinking. I’m part Irish myself, but I cant speak for everyone. All I know is that there is always plenty of drink at family parties.

But anyways, it’s hard to paint with such broad strokes and keep an accurate picture. Most of the differences are probably family cultural more than religious…and even within cultures there can be great variation.
 
Are there any differences between latino Catholics and White=Irisih Catholics???

I’ve heard that latino Catholics are more open to cohabitation. And that Latinos don’t go to Mass regulary/on a regular basis.

So what do you all think???

Thanks…
It think if this discussion continues it is bound to be offensive to just about any group you could name, and I think you do not understand that Latino is a language-based distinction, not a racial one, furthermore it is a descriptive that is offensive to many of the people usually characterized by that term.
white does not equal Irish btw.
I further think that there is not an iota of benefit to any discussion based on “my group is holier than yours” and a great deal of potential harm, nor is there likely to be any meaningful information based on real research and statistics. What I think about who goes to church is as useless an opinion as I could imagine.
 
I grew up in the NE; irish catholic and slovak byzantine. Lived in the mid-west and NW. I moved here to the SW 5 years ago and will tell you it was the biggest adjustment of my life. The biggest difference in “latino” vs non-latino is the Spanish language verses of the Mexican songs at mass. But I feel the same way about the Latin hymns too though I know some of those words. Other than those differences, the rest is actually better in my opinion. The only other place I ever felt the lively “family” feel to the parish was at the Byzantine community of my youth. Irish was a bit stiff by comparison. Prefer Latino. 🙂
Whatever else you heard is false.
 
Are there any differences between latino Catholics and White=Irisih Catholics???
I’ve heard that latino Catholics are more open to cohabitation. And that Latinos don’t go to Mass regulary/on a regular basis.
So what do you all think???
Thanks…
???
I think you need to stop listening to whoever is telling you that!

Every ethnicity has some additional ‘special’ ways in which they celebrate the faith - and they are all beautiful!
Yet it is the same Catholic church, the same faith, and the same Christ!

C’mon down to Texas next Christmas and I’ll introduce you to Las Posadas, for example.👍

-YBIC,
GaryR.
 
Polish Catholics can drink.
Irish Catholics can drink. Just not with the Poles.
Italian Catholics make good food.

:D:p

Since when the need for divides anyway?
 
Are there any differences between latino Catholics and White=Irisih Catholics???

I’ve heard that latino Catholics are more open to cohabitation. And that Latinos don’t go to Mass regulary/on a regular basis.

So what do you all think???

Thanks…
Where did you hear this? pewhispanic.org/files/reports/75.2.pdf
More than four-in-ten (44%) Hispanics say they attend religious services at least once a week, and 63%
attend at least monthly. Non-Hispanics report church attendance at similar levels.
Here again, however, there are substantial differences across religious traditions. While 70% of Latino evangelicals
say they attend church at least once a week, attendance rates are much lower among Latino Catholics
(42%) and mainline Protestants (36%). Conversely, 28% of Latino Catholics say they attend church “a few
times a year or seldom,” compared with 14% of evangelicals. In this regard, however, Latinos are not
substantially different from non-Hispanics of the same religious tradition.
 
Are there any differences between latino Catholics and White=Irisih Catholics???

I’ve heard that latino Catholics are more open to cohabitation. And that Latinos don’t go to Mass regulary/on a regular basis.

So what do you all think???

Thanks…
The only difference I can see (being raised Irish Catholic) and now living in an Hispanic State (not Texas) is in the small t traditions and in devotions. Both ethnicities unfortunately today are prone to co-habitation and going to Mass irregularly. Both have sinners in them, both have some who are more devout than others.

Brenda V.
 
Polish Catholics can drink.
Irish Catholics can drink. Just not with the Poles.
Italian Catholics make good food.

:D:p

Since when the need for divides anyway?
Oh, I love it. 👍
Slovaks make good food too and Latinos make “hot” food… green chile or red? 😃
 
Stereotype completely. Latinos are some of the most religious Catholics I’ve ever met! Especially Mexicans because of Our Lady of Guadalupe. You should see the Spanish Mass at my parish, it’s packed and there are people even outside listening to the Mass.
 
Polish Catholics can drink.
Irish Catholics can drink. Just not with the Poles.
Italian Catholics make good food.
You mean the Poles don’t drink with the Irish. Can’t keep up. 😃

(Says an Irish chick married to a Polish/Italian guy.)
 
And that Latinos don’t go to Mass regulary/on a regular basis.
I don’t see any truth here. My area is only 30% Latino, but about 75% of the Massgoers are Latino.
I’ve heard that latino Catholics are more open to cohabitation.
If you’re observing this, it’s because more of the cohabiting Latino Catholics are coming to Mass. You aren’t observing all the cohabiting Catholics of other races because they aren’t coming to Mass anyway, and therefore you don’t take notice of them.
 
Not only should we correct our stereotypes, but we must also correct our language or labels.

Latino is anyone of Latin extraction, not just Hispanics. If you ever call a Brazilian a Hispanic, you’ll get your head chewed off. Don’t ever call a Spaniard a Latino. Along with the Italians, Rumanians, French and Portuguese, Spaniards are Latins.

Another point, Latino and Latins come in different races, just as many other nationalities. Irish are not the only Caucasian people in the world. There are Caucasian Latin Americans, Asians, Africans, Australians, as well as Europeans.

Latin and Latino is cultural group, not a racial group or even an ethnic group. Mexicans are very different from Puerto Ricans who are very different from Argentinians, etc. They do not like being blended as one ethnic group any more than Europeans do.

Each of the different Latin American countries has many expressions of Catholicism within their countries. One of the interesting phenomena that Latin America has is the large numbers of Black, Mestizo, White and Native American Catholics. Each of these groups often has its own religious customs, religious music, religious devotions, and values, like other large groups of people.

One reason that cohabitation is very high in Latin America has to do with the difficulty that they have had with transportation. In the absence of good roads and good transportation systems there has been a problem getting priests and deacons out to more remote areas to witness marriages. It was not so much a lack of faith as it was a problem getting someone to witness the marriages.

I was a missionary in the Amazon and we had places where the priest would go every couple of months and perform 10 weddings in one day. These people often lived together while they waited for the priest or the deacon to get there. During the rain season travel was impossible.

There are many reasons for things happening in certain cultures that we don’t always understand. I now work in Florida where many Hispanic, Philipino and and Haitian Catholics live. They don’t always understand many of the practices of the North American Catholic.

Fraternally,

Br. JR, OSF 🙂
 
I guess you would call me “latina” (although that’s what I called what I used to take a bath in…)

No, let’s start over. I’m of Hispanic descent, my husband is of Irish descent. And we both find this question irritating.

After all these years, can’t we stop with the labels? What are we, Campbell’s soups???
 
I think this topic is totally racist against Latinos. The OP is just assuming too much about Latinos.
I am American and come from the Mexican culture. If I was to take a DNA test it would come out Caucasian and a percentage of Native American.
My ancestors are Dutch, German, Spanish, French, Aztec, Commanche, etc. My ancestors were born in Texas when it was Mexico. Some of my relatives were born in Europe.

There is no such thing as DNA results being as Irish or any other caucasian ethnic background. It will just show caucasian if you say you are white as the driven snow.lol.

Your blood is not blue blood. It is red like every culteral group in the world. You can die like anybody else. You are not special at all.

If I wasn’t a sinner I would throw stones at the OP for making up such racist remarks against Latinos. We all don’t need to defend Latinos. Only God can banish the OP from his Kingdom of love thy neighbor as yourself. The OP needs to learn not to throw stones at Latinos.

So PLEASE CLOSE DOWN THIS TOPIC. It is so stupid to think badly of a culteral group of Catholics.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top